The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dying Peace Lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Dying Pachira Aquatica| Next thread: dying philodendron »
Back to Thread index
by PAR on November 19, 2004 03:03 AM
I've recently repotted a root bound peace lily that I'd had for almost a year. When I repotted to larger pot I separated it, used new potting soil and watered it well. Unfortunately it has now begun to die. Each of the once green leaves have begun to one by one turn brown, as if burned, around the edges then either wilt and die or yellow and die. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions for what I should do to revived this once hugh plant?
by suzydaze on November 19, 2004 04:08 PM
I divided mine 2 years ago into 8 pots.

Let the soil dry to the touch and then water (or wait til leaves are droopy, not too droopy)

Also you will have some leaf dying, it's just normal from transplant shock.

hope this helps

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by PAR on November 23, 2004 09:24 PM
Thanks, I reexamined the roots Saturday when I took everything back out of the pot. The soil was still very moist even though I had not watered it in almost a week. some of the roots were brown and spongy, so I'm thinking maybe root rot. I check other posts that advised removing those spongy roots and repot in new soil. I have but thus far see NO visible difference.
by suzydaze on November 23, 2004 09:38 PM
could be, they don't need as much water as you'd think, mine are always pretty healthy looking but have only bloomed 2 or 3 times since I had them. They all bloomed this past spring.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
by Jiffymouse on November 23, 2004 11:59 PM
well, i have 10 peace lilies under my care... (9 at work and 1 at home) ranging in size from a 6" pot to a 16" pot and what i have found are the following...

the more root bound they are, the happier they seem.

if you have rotted some of the roots, it takes several weeks for the over all plant to look better

if you must divide it, it will pout, for quite a while, but it will get over it...

once some of the leaves develope a true "droopy" appearance, nothing perks them up, you have to go by the newer growth

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dying Pachira Aquatica| Next thread: dying philodendron »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: