The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peace Lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Peace Lily| Next thread: Peace lily »
Back to Thread index
by emma's grandma on March 14, 2006 11:23 PM
My Peace Lily is about 2 years old and it looks beautiful but the flowers always come up green and then as they start to turn white they immediately turn brown before the get opened up. Just wondered if anyone knew why. Thanks
by Amany on March 17, 2006 05:36 AM
One of my peace lillies does that too, Emma. The first time it happened was the day after I'd washed the leaves off, so someone suggested that the excess water on the leaves had caused it, since my peace lillies all sit very close to a window. But the second time it bloomed, it turned brown right away. No excess water on them the second time.
by Will Creed on March 17, 2006 09:43 AM
Allowing the soil to get too dry or the leaves to wilt a bit can cause the flowers to distort before they fully open. Excess minerals in the soil from using hard water or over-fertilizing can also cause this.

Will Creed
Interior landscaper
by Amany on March 17, 2006 10:10 AM
Will saves the day! ;-)

Thanks Will. I am often guilty of allowing my peace lily to become too dry.
by Will Creed on March 17, 2006 11:50 AM
I only know this from personal experience!
by mrsmessy on March 21, 2006 02:52 AM
I'm going to stick this in here instead of starting a new thread. I've had 4 large Peace Lilies for 3 1/2 years and they aren't looking very happy any more. They are all potted in plastic bags in baskets. If I were to re-pot them what medium would I use and type of pot. They are too big for just water.

I usually move them outside onto my front porch in spring and they perk up but the bags are beginning to tear and even if they get happy again outside I'll still need to do something with them this season.

-
Bev
by Ming Lover on March 21, 2006 03:42 AM
The plastic bags might be restricting drainage. I would repot the peace lilies into same size pots with drainage holes using quality sterile peat-based houseplant mix.
by Will Creed on March 21, 2006 07:13 AM
Hi Bev,

What do you mean that they are not looking happy anymore? Can you be more specific about the symptoms or, even better, post a photo?
by mrsmessy on March 21, 2006 09:02 AM
I would love to post photos but can't figure out how. They seem to be less intensely green than they used to be without actually turning yellow. They also don't perk up as much as they used to when they are watered. A lot of the leaves died back when I brought them back inside.

-
Bev
by weezie13 on March 21, 2006 12:03 PM
Bev,
Go to www.photobucket.com

it's free and you can then link those pictures
here, with the IMAGE button on the Full reply form...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by mrsmessy on March 22, 2006 10:46 PM
I hate to sound like a dolt but it's getting the pictures into my computer in the first place that defeats me.

-
Bev
by weezie13 on March 22, 2006 11:52 PM
I hear you on that one...
I have my husband do it for me...
Something I have to take out of the camera,
a card, and put it into a slot that's no bigger than the card it's self...
Then a screen should pop up and *well, we click that off cause we have another program we do it in, and I don't remember much of it after that*

Maybe Cindy can help you....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by emma's grandma on March 25, 2006 02:04 AM
Thanks to all who replied to my question and I hope to discover the problem. When I transplanted I used a mix and I don't recall what it was but it was made for flowering house plants. I water all my plants once a week in the winter and daily in the summer as they are outside. The peace lily seems to appreciate more water than less. Also I water with rain or snow from a wooden barrel so I don't know if it is getting too many minerals. I use miracle grow once a month from the early spring throughout the summer but I mix it according to directions. I have also tried moving it to darker areas and putting it under growing lights but it doesn't seem to help the flowers. The plant on the other hand looks beautiful, nice, dark, green, shiny, big leaves. I will keep working with it and will let all know if and what works for it.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Peace Lily| Next thread: Peace lily »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: