The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peace Lily

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: peace lily| Next thread: Peace lily »
Back to Thread index
by Sami on May 26, 2005 06:28 AM
I've just recently removed my peace lilies from soil & put them in water. The plan is to, eventually, put beta in the vases.

I have 6 plants, 4 of which have at least on leaf on them (these plants are what was left after I seperated them last fall). The 2 that don't have any leaves are getting moldy. I read about using peroxide in the water, mainly for oxygen reasons & I'm hoping it will help with the mold.

Anyone have any suggestions?

-
Talentless but connected.
by Cricket on May 26, 2005 08:08 AM
Sami, why did you remove the peace lilies from soil? I could be wrong, but not being aquatic plants, it is doubtful they will fare well in water. My suggestion would be to repot the peace lilies in soil but either way, good luck! Let us know how they fare.
by phoenix on May 26, 2005 06:16 PM
oh my goodness sami [shocked]
i think the plant you are thinking of for the beta bowl or tank is an anthurium. the peace lilly will rot and die i believe. the anthurium is a plant that can live in just water. you should do wha tcricket said and put the lillies back into dirt and go get an anthurium [Wink] [thumb]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Will Creed on May 27, 2005 02:41 AM
Hi Sami,

Beta fish are often grown with peace lilies in water, although I have never tried it myself because I am not into fish, except to eat.

Peace lilies will survive in water for a year or two. They sometimes have trouble making the transition from soil to water because the structure of the root hairs has to change.

Any of the plants that have no leaves will not survive, so they should be discarded. The amount of oxygen that can be added via hydrogen peroxide is insignificant and not effective in fighting mold. Change the water weekly and mold should not be a problem.

Cricket loves keeping her plants in soil. So much so that she regularly puts her plants in the largest pots she can find, despite my advice to the contrary! LOL
by Sami on May 27, 2005 07:11 AM
Thanks, Will. I did read up on this before I tried it. When I started my new job, they had a huge peace lily that was growing out of the pot & hanging down to the floor. I got permission to separate it & got like 15 plants out of it. I gave a couple away (don't know how they are doing) and a couple died. The ones that are hanging on weren't doing very well in soil, so I thought I'd try the water.

Anything else that I should know about this?

-
by Cricket on May 27, 2005 08:31 AM
Sorry, Sami, I did not mean to lead you astray. Apparently I was attending Horticulture 101 lectures after too many long nights of partying. [muggs] Tell me more about your plans for the beta/peace lily vases. I have a couple peace lilies I might try to do the same with as they aren't doing as well as could be in soil at the moment anyways and I also enjoy betas.

Will,

quote:
Cricket loves keeping her plants in soil. So much so that she regularly puts her plants in the largest pots she can find, despite my advice to the contrary! LOL
[Razz]

I will have you know that many of my plants have recently been down-potted and the Ming will remain in its very tight pot, which will likely squeeze the sap from its roots (do roots have sap?). OK, enough melodrama.

But I am confused. What is the point of keeping a peace lily in water if it will die in a year or two? That's akin to keeping a Lucky Bamboo in water - isn't there some karmic penalty for premeditated botanicide? And what will prevent the peace lilies from developing root rot while their root structures change? Wasn't it you who told me overwatering peace lilies leads to root rot? Did I repot them into smaller pots for nothing?

Yikes, I knew I should have had wine instead of coffee tonight! [Embarrassed]

Cricket
by phoenix on May 27, 2005 05:44 PM
[wayey] [Embarrassed] sami,
i as well would like to apologize for giving wrong advice [Frown] [Embarrassed] i'm glad to know however that peace lillies can live in water! [grin]

thanks to you will [thumb]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Will Creed on May 27, 2005 08:00 PM
Cricket & Phoenix,

Please stop with the apologies. They make me feel bad, like some angry parent yelling at her kids.

Sami,
Do the plants that you are trying to root have soil roots attached or did you just cut them off at the soil line?

Will
by Will Creed on May 27, 2005 08:18 PM
Cricket,

Coffee? I think you are a little looney when you are up late. LOL! You seem to be confusing my reconmendation for tight-fitting pots with some other aspect of your life, upon which I will not comment; at least not publicly!

I am not an expert on Karma and tend to believe that is an individual thing. I will comment, however, that we often use cut flowers and potted Mums that last only a week or two, knowing they will then die and we will discard them. Bad karma? You decide.

There is much confusion about how roots can survive in water, yet rot when in constantly wet soil. The answer lies in the structure of the roots.

If you put cuttings of certain plants in water, they will grow roots that are adapted to growing in water. The cell structure is different from the cell structure of roots that grow in damp soil. This explains why cuttings rooted in water often go through a difficult transition period when they are moved from water to soil; the cell structure of the water-borne roots has to adapt to the soil. The reverse is true, as well.

The worst thing you can do with most non-aquatic plants is to mix water and soil together, i.e., adding soil to the water that cuttings are rooting in or keeping soil very wet. Both of these send mixed signals to the plant in terms of what kind of root structure is required.

That is probably more than you ever wanted to know, but that's what happens when you ask this ex-school teacher a question - you get a lecture. LOL
by Sami on June 03, 2005 01:44 AM
Cricket & Phoenix: No biggie!

Will: I took the plants directly out of soil, rinsed the roots well & stuck them in water. I searched the internet before I started. I found this info & went with it. (However, I missed the part about chlorine & think that it affected my plants, at first.)

Knock any soil off the roots of the peace lilies and let them soak in water for at least a day to get rid of any other miscellaneous debris.

Use scissors or a knife to cut off the bottom of a clear-plastic plant saucer to form a sort of "collar" for the peace-lily stalks. It will help hold the plants upright, and because it's clear it won't mess up the look of the aquarium.

Thread the roots of the peace lily through the plastic "collar," so that the collar grasps the plant right where the green stalks start.

If you've used the vase before, clean it well with hot water -- but no soap! Soap kills aquarium fish.

Wash the dust from a fresh package of aquarium gravel and pour it two or three inches deep in the bottom of the vase.

Wash some bright glass beads and decorations with hot water and place them on top of the gravel.

Treat enough water to fill the vase with chlorine treatment, available at a pet-supply store. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Add the treated water and the fish to the vase.

Insert the collar with the peace lilies into the neck of the vase, tucking the roots into the water. The leaves of the peace lilies should stand upright. Prop the plants in place with more floral rocks in the neck of the vase.

There seems to be a myth perpetuated that beta fish feed off the plant, but this isn't true. Please be sure to feed this carnivorous animal with beta-fish food. The fish's waste, however, will provide great nutrition for the plant.

-
by nkatzer on June 04, 2005 09:26 AM
Hi all-boy am I glad I found this site!!!! I have 2 peace lilies that I received from my mother's funeral last June-I have been successful in keeping them alive in fact they went through a MAJOR blooming period in August last year-I had over 23 blooms on one plant! But since then I have had to transplant them-since I did that I have had problems with leaves dying-what blooms I've had have come out GREEN-some of the leaf tips are turning yellow or brown. What does this mean? Am I doing something wrong? I hope not since I love my plants. Can you help me? I hope that this is a correctable problem!
by Will Creed on June 04, 2005 06:01 PM
Hi Nancy,

I think you answered your own question. You have had problems since you transplanted.

I know everyone believes that transpalnting does wonderful things for plants. In fact, it is the single most common cause of plant problems.

I suggest the you unpot and look at the roots. If they have not spread into the soil you added and pretty much filled it with roots, then I suggest that you remove the soil you added and put the plant back into a smaller pot.

There may be other problems, as well, but that is a good starting point.

Will Creed
by nkatzer on June 04, 2005 06:56 PM
do these lilies survive better in smaller pots-rather to they need to be a bit rootbound to survive or even bloom? Guess that didn't make much sense to me since I like plenty of room to move around!! LOL Thanks Will
by Cricket on June 04, 2005 07:30 PM
Peace lilies do thrive and flower when potbound.

Will:
quote:
I think you are a little looney when you are up late
You have no idea! Why don't you stay up late sometime and find out just how looney? [nutz] The title "Wild Child" was not given to me arbitrarily! [lala] One of these late nights you might unexpectedly receive a call from the pub Dylan Thomas hung out at in NYC. You never know, it could be tomorrow or next month, or next year. Crickets are entirely unpredictable!
by Will Creed on June 04, 2005 07:44 PM
Nancy,

I know intuitively it seems like roots would like lots of room to spread out, like people living in Kansas.

Instead, think of it this way: We all like to be hugged and do better when we are! Same with potted roots.

Will
by Will Creed on June 04, 2005 07:48 PM
Cricket,

I go to bed early to avoid the wild children and the loonies.

Are you stalking me?! LOL

Quaking Will
by Cricket on June 04, 2005 07:53 PM
Sami, Have you added the beta to your vase? I put one in a large fish bowl with a lucky bamboo cutting I am trying to root. Unfortunately, the fish is not faring too well. My feeling is the water temperature is too low without a heater. Betta are tropical fish, thriving best in water at least 70F. Cooler water temperatures slow their metabolism. What is your experience?
by Cricket on June 04, 2005 07:54 PM
Will:

quote:
Are you stalking me?! LOL

Be wary of night-stalking Crickets! Their incessant chirping will keep you up all night and can lead to temporary insanity. [grin]
by Will Creed on June 06, 2005 04:08 AM
Wild crickets? You have got to be kidding me!!
by Cricket on June 08, 2005 05:32 AM
Way wilder than the alligators in the NYC sewer system! [grin]
by Sami on June 09, 2005 05:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cricket:
Sami, Have you added the beta to your vase? I put one in a large fish bowl with a lucky bamboo cutting I am trying to root. Unfortunately, the fish is not faring too well. My feeling is the water temperature is too low without a heater. Betta are tropical fish, thriving best in water at least 70F. Cooler water temperatures slow their metabolism. What is your experience?
I haven't added any fish, yet. I'm hoping to get the plants healthy before I put the fish in. I had a beta (Ian) for a couple of years, previously, in a very small tank, by itself. I haven't tried with the peace lilies, yet. I kept Ian's tank at work & brought it home every 2 weeks to clean it. I never used a heater or anything special...just pebbles in the bottom & fed him once a day.

-
by Cricket on June 15, 2005 04:27 AM
Sami, please keep us updated with details of your project.

BTW, Now that my betta has settled in, he's doing well.
by Will Creed on June 15, 2005 04:40 AM
Cricket,

When a Beta becomes sick and then recovers, does it become betta?

(You may need a NYC accent to appreciate that!)

Will
by Cricket on June 15, 2005 04:49 AM
Clever, Will! A+ for that one! [thumb]

BTW, although I have seen it spelled both ways, I believe the correct spelling is Betta. [teacher] [Wink]
by Will Creed on June 15, 2005 05:06 AM
I stand corrected! Thank you Cricket.

I should know betta than to stray from anything other than plant mattas.

Will From NY
by Cricket on June 15, 2005 05:54 AM
Will, you're good! [muggs] [kissies]
by Sami on June 27, 2005 11:15 AM
Well, all of my peace lilies are doing much better in the water than they did in soil. Even the plants that didn't have leaves have grown new leaves. I'm putting my bettas in with the plants, tonight. But, I have another question. All of the plants have a really long whatever that is that's under the soil/water...I don't know what it's called. Several of the plants are growing what looks like new plants under the water, like the opposite end of the leaves. Can I cut that in half & start new plants? Does this make sense to anyone? Does anyone know about this? Will? Do I need to post pictures to show what I'm talking about?

-
by Will Creed on June 27, 2005 11:29 AM
Sami,

A photo would help me, but Cricket may not need one. I think she might be by tomorrow.

Will
by Cricket on July 01, 2005 07:14 AM
Photos would be good!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: peace lily| Next thread: Peace lily »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: