The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The difference between "Dirt roots" & "Water roots"

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: The cute pests....| Next thread: The driveway greeting »
Back to Thread index
by Patty S on August 02, 2006 10:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13
(in the Fruits and Vegetables forum... about rooting broken-off tomato stalks) :
Just remember once a plant is in water,
it will develope "water roots" and feed it'self
with water nutrients..
If you turn around and put it in soil,
*which is not a bad idea, after all that is where they grow naturally*
But if you do put it in dirt,
the first week, keep it in a cup, so the soil
is really wet, puddle like..
then gradually as the weeks go by, decrease the water and just let the soil be moist..

That way, it eventually re~sends~out~new~dirt~roots, and can feed it'self accordingly..

I found that very interesting Weezie, & it got me to thinking! [shocked]
(Look out... that can get dangerous!)  - [Big Grin]

When I water & groom my house plants every week or so, I trim off weak vines from my Wandering Jew & re-root them in water, then put them back into the pot after they've formed some healthy looking roots.

Now I'm wondering if the reason I get the "weak" ones in the first place, is because I've been shoving them into the soil & not giving them a chance to make the water-to-dirt transition! [dunno]
Any thoughts on that?

-
 -
by weezie13 on August 02, 2006 11:49 AM
Alot of times when I stress about water roots and dirt roots is when someone's left a type of plant, like you're talking about, in water, for like a year..*or so* and they get a wild hair and stick it in the soil one day and it doesn't do so well, or brown leaves appear..etc..

If a plant is left in water a short reasonable time, there shouldn't be a problem with the roots, they adapt pretty good..

But it's the one's left there a longggg time and have a slow time getting re~started..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Patty S on August 03, 2006 06:44 AM
Thanks, Weezie! [kissies] (You're the best!)

I'll have to keep that in mind, as sometimes I let the starts root for several months before putting them in the planter (or starting a new one) & other times, I thin them out after just a few weeks... depends upon what mood I'm in & how badly I'm trying do avoid working on the things on my "real" to-do list!

By the way, does this apply to ALL plants that are rooted in water? I have some Spider plants that have been in water for many, many months... (LOTS of roots!) I know that it's real easy to overwater Spiders, but should I ease them into being in soil & keep them really wet for a few weeks? (when the mood strikes!) [dunno]

-
 -
by Triss on August 03, 2006 06:55 AM
Good to know. I will be sure and keep a closer eye on my hibiscus and not let them sit too long in the water once their roots start to show.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: The cute pests....| Next thread: The driveway greeting »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: