The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The driveway greeting

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by melcon6 on September 11, 2006 05:19 AM
Netty totally inspired me with her triumph and gave me a great idea for the end of the driveway. I can only hope that over time it will look half as good as hers. Thank you , Netty. [kissies]

Before:

-

After:

-

-

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Triss on September 11, 2006 05:21 AM
Mel, That is so pretty! You have gotten a lot done there. It looks great!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by melcon6 on September 11, 2006 05:35 AM
Thanks , Triss! [kissies] The weeds, some thorny, some stubborn, were atrocious! and the beautiful white rock ledge was almost completely covered over by dirt and weeds. It's been a long time coming to fix this area up!

-
 -

by ND farm girl on September 11, 2006 06:39 AM
[clappy] [flower] [clappy] [flower] [clappy]

PattyM
by netty on September 11, 2006 08:06 AM
Looking good Mel [thumb]
I'm very flattered that I helped inspire that great looking garden!

-
 -
by loz on September 11, 2006 09:28 AM
Wow what a difference Mel...That looks super....Little elbow grease and some plants and voila! The hard work paid off....that looks like it was meant to be there! [thumb]
by afgreyparrot on September 11, 2006 10:19 AM
Oh, wow!!!
That looks so good, Mel!
What a big difference!

I love that cabbage looking stuff!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by penny in ontario on September 11, 2006 08:27 PM
Great job....well done [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -

-
by patches1414 on September 12, 2006 07:06 AM
WOW, Mel that looks awesome! [clappy] So, the white rock was already there? [dunno] It's perfect! [Wink] You did a great job on everything! [clappy] Are those mums on the left at the top? [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by melcon6 on September 12, 2006 08:48 AM
The rock was there ,Patti, [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] It's a long , gigantic ledge that goes as far almost as the utility pole in the background of that picture. The maple tree growing in the ledge I'm going to tackle, but not until spring. I want the fall foliage out of that before it comes out.The little evergreen in front of that is also growing in the ledge, that I'll leave.

My whole yard is all ledge. In some places the soil could be 3 ft deep, in others it's 6 inches. 90% of all the dirt on my 1.5 acre lot has been trucked in. I've gradually been uncovering it in key places, it's so beautiful. I love rock! Rock rocks! [Big Grin] [thumb]

Here's the back side of the new garden. The sedum and mums were freebies from work, the sedum is all gangly now, but next year will be nice. The mums are 'Victoria', a pretty lavender-pink.

-

Do you like my rock mushroom?

-
 -

by melcon6 on September 12, 2006 08:48 AM
Here's another ledge I've been working on.

-

-
 -

by afgreyparrot on September 12, 2006 09:04 AM
Mel...that looks so good!

If Jiffy ever makes it up there she will steal that rock ledge!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by patches1414 on September 12, 2006 04:27 PM
Boy, some people would pay a fortune to have that rock ledge in their yard. I didn't realize it was that large, but it really looks great there and sets it off! It's quite a showpiece! [clappy]

quote:
My whole yard is all ledge. In some places the soil could be 3 ft deep, in others it's 6 inches.
Wow, Mel, six inches sure can make it difficult to plant anything. I love rocks too, but I don't know if I would want my whole yard to be rocky, because I wouldn't be able to use my tiller. [Big Grin] I've got some nice rocks in my yard but they are not huge rocks. They are just the right size for my landscaping. The neighbors across the street had a huge pile of landscaping rocks in their back yard that were there when they bought the house. Well, he got transferred and they were moving so I asked they were going to take all the rocks and they didn't want them so they said I could have them. [clappy] Well, it was the middle of July and hotter then blazes but I got my two-wheeled dolly and went to work. The only problem was that their back yard drops way down and they have a steep driveway so I would have to roll a rock on the dolly and get a running start on the driveway. All went well until I got to the last one which was probably twice as big as the other ones. I took a running start and got halfway up the driveway and it started coming back at me. [scaredy] Well, I manged to get it stoped and started over and finally got it. Geesh, the crazy things we will do for our gardens! [nutz]

Mel, is your mushroom rock just one single, solid rock? [dunno] If it is, it's amazing!

Wow, in your second picture you've sure got the makings of an awesome rock garden! [Wink] Boy, that could really be turned into something fantastic! It looks like you've at least got some dirt to work with there. I'll be anxious to see it when it's done. Actually, I'll be anxious to see it as you're working on it. I think work in progress is always more exciting! [Smile]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Pburgh on September 15, 2006 11:28 PM
All I can say is WOW!!!! I love what you've done. The mushroom is adorable.

About those last pictures!!! Those rocks are amazing. I can just see coneflowers, succulants, shasta daisies, crocosmia, and other beauties in that area. A water feature would be terrific!!

What a wonderful challange you have. Can I come over and give you a hand?? [Smile]

My gardens
http://community.webshots.com/user/pburghp
by patches1414 on September 16, 2006 04:53 AM
Hey Mel, I would have to agree with Pburgh about the coneflowers and Shasta Daisies looking great in that rocky area. [thumb] I think it would enhance the open, natural look! Of course, those are two of my favorite flowers and they really look awesome together. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

-
 -
by Mrs.Bradley on September 16, 2006 05:18 AM
Gorgeous,Mel!!
I love the flowering cabbage. thinking of getting some of those myself.

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 18, 2006 01:09 AM
wow mel!!! How did I miss this thread???
You've done a fantastic job on both areas so far!
I love the salvia in the second area - maybe add some sedum autumn joy there too?

I also love flowering kale - I've only seen 1 store with it for sale here so far, and it was pretty raggy looking. How long does it grow for you up there? The first time I ever saw it was in a November, and peaking out of snow at Thanksgiving out in East Hampton, NY - it was so pretty I just had to find out what it was!

Can't wait to see more pictures as your gardens come along! [clappy] [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by melcon6 on September 18, 2006 02:56 AM
Yeah, how did you miss this! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I do that all the time!

Anyway, the red salvia my boss was throwing in the trash. No one was buying it and we had to water it every day. It was in six-packs and so tall, it needed so much water, twice a day! So I took home 24 six-packs and had clumps of it everywhere. The hummers LOVED it.

This is the first year I planted the ornamental kale, everyone up here tells me how great it looks in the winter too! I'll let you know.

-
 -

by plants 'n pots on September 18, 2006 06:30 AM
WOW AGAIN!!! 24 six packs?!?!?!? [shocked]
Your hummers must have thought they flew into heaven! [Big Grin] [thumb]

This is the first year I had any success with red salvia - I'm not partial to red flowers, but will plant a few each year for the hummers - they LOVED it! Guess I'm gonna have to plant some more next year, like it or not! [dunno]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by LandArt on November 06, 2006 08:27 AM
I feel I should contribute a word of caution in terms of landscaping the ends of driveways - if you live along a state route, please be aware that the state owns the right-of-way at the end of your driveway. If you place obstacles (e.g., landscape boulders) at the very end of your driveway, they are encroaching on the state right-of-way and also pose a safety hazard to the traveling public. There is a good chance that someone from your state DOT will come and knock on your door and ask you to remove the boulders further back from the road.
by melcon6 on November 06, 2006 10:13 AM
No problem like that here, the whole town is a giant ledge! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] They don't call it the rocky coast of Maine for nothing. I didn't put any rocks down there, it's all part of the natural ledges that make up my yard. They say we can never have town water system because of all the ledge, so we all have wells and septic tanks of our own here. My ledge doesn't stick out as much as some in the town.

-
 -

by chenno on November 10, 2006 12:17 AM
Sorry, I just saw this...It is very cool mel! what a transformation,love the placement of the plants and rocks!Great job!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by Jiffymouse on November 10, 2006 11:27 AM
beautiful, and it gives me ideas for my driveway!
by penny in ontario on November 10, 2006 09:37 PM
Looks amazing [thumb]

-
 -

-
by Dixie Angel on November 10, 2006 09:39 PM
That looks great, Mel! Wanna come do mine? [grin]

Dianna

-
 -
by penny in ontario on November 10, 2006 09:41 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb]