The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I need A LOT of help!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by May on December 01, 2005 07:09 AM
In the spring I would like to cut down 5 overgrown bushes in the front of my house. These bushes range from 5 feet to about 9 feet high. Can I cut these down myself without professional help or is it best for me to hire a landscaper? And if I am able to cut them down myself, do I use a chain saw? How do I make sure I get all the roots? As you can see I have no idea what I'm doing. Please I need some help!!
by Patty S on December 01, 2005 11:51 AM
A lot can be determined by what kind of bushes they are. (Some types have a massive root structure & tap root, while others don't seem to be "hooked on" very well!) Do you know what kind of bushes you're dealing with? Without that info it's anybody's guess.

-
 -
by loz on December 01, 2005 12:30 PM
quote:
Do you know what kind of bushes you're dealing with? Without that info it's anybody's guess.

That's what I was going to ask too.....if you don't know what they are called is there anyway you could post a picture so we could figure it out.....

Glad to have you here May! [wavey]
by tkhooper on December 01, 2005 06:58 PM
In some communities there are organization that recycle unwanted plants. You might check around and see if there is one in your area. If so they may be interested in taking your bushes out for you. It's just a thought but then everyone wins if you have one of those organizations near you.

-
 -
by Patty S on December 02, 2005 12:13 AM
quote:
In some communities there are organizations that recycle unwanted plants
You might contact your county Extension office & ask them if there is such an org around. They might also put you in touch with Habitat for Humanity. The occupants of their new houses sometimes want established plants & shrubs, so if your bushes are the kind they want, they might be willing to help you remove them.

Somebody will still need to know what they are before they can remove them properly, though. Our curiosity is up now... Loz is right, a photo would be helpful!

-
 -
by May on December 02, 2005 06:08 AM
Okay I neared it down to either a Juniper-Sea Green (Juniperus x pfitzeriana 'Sea Green')or a Juniper-Blue Rug (Juniperus horizontalis Wiltonii). And sorry, I don't have any pictures. They're tied and wrapped up for the winter already. I hope this helps. I'll look into the organizations here but the city is so small I doubt we'll have any.
by peppereater on December 02, 2005 10:39 AM
I know that the horizontalis would rarely be even a foot tall, so I think you could exclude that. If you cut down a juniper, it won't grow back...depending on the soil, if you are determined to dig out the roots, it could be either relatively easy or fairly difficult. Why do you want them gone?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: