The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I need a medium sized plant....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by hisgal2 on May 03, 2004 02:35 AM
I need a medium sized pretty plant to go in front of our pump in the back yard. There might be a picture on the website...I don't know. If not, I'll put one up on Monday, as I'm in Philly visiting family right now. We have a cistern in our yard that holds about 300 gallons of water...maybe 400, we're not sure... There is grass around the cistern, so it looks like a hill with the pump on the top. In front of the hill is a small stone wall that makes a semi-circle in the front of the hill. Right now there is a weird bush that I don't know what it is. It looks like it hasn't been pruned in a couple years and is too large to see the pump. We are going to pull out the bush because I really don't like it. We want to put something else there that is nice and that I won't really have to do much work to it. Anyone have ideas???

-
 -

-
by Bess of the Piedmont on May 03, 2004 07:05 PM
Tell us more about the general conditions in that area. Does it get full sun, part sun, or shade? Is the soil wet, dry, sandy, or claylike?

Are you looking for an evergreen, so that it will hide the pump year 'round? Or perhaps a flowering shrub? How tall is the area you'd like to hide?

-
 -
by hisgal2 on May 04, 2004 12:02 AM
Oh! No,no....I don't want to hide the pump. That's why I'm getting rid of the bush that is there. I'd like it not to be evergreen....maybe something that flowers. No taller than 18 inches. The area gets sun almost all day long....just in the evening when the sun sets is the only time that it really gets shade. I'm pretty sure that the ground is not clay, nor is it sandy. I'm pretty sure that it's been composted in the past and I will be composting there before we plant the new bush/plants. It doesn't really need to be a bush.....maybe some plants. The area is about 6 square feet....but in a semi-circle. I don't want anything that will hang down over the little wall because I really like the stone.

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on May 05, 2004 08:57 PM
Jennifer,
Did I ask for a picture already??
Can't remember if I did or not already!!!

That would help alot to be able to tell you
what would go good or look good or you know
hold the bank back or cover or uncover, etc...

Did you put one in your photo place???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by hisgal2 on May 06, 2004 05:23 AM
A picture of the pump is on this website

The pump is at the bottom of the page

I like the little stone wall that is right below the bush. I trimmed the bush pretty hardly the other day and am pretty much ready to pull it out. It will probably get pulled out tomorrow. I don't want something that will cover the pump up..I love how it looks. The pump is about 3 1/3 feet tall and I want to be able to see the pump from farther down in the yard. Sooo....I don't want any plants that will grow over the wall and I don't want anything that is too tall. [critic]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: