The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fleas in house plants?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: fleas....| Next thread: Flee Beatles? »
Back to Thread index
by Tegan on June 18, 2006 06:43 AM
Hi all

I've got a question. Is it possible for fleas to infest your house plants? I have an umbrella tree and a type of ivy (My two biggest plants). Last week I started noticing when I watered them, there was there little tiny bugs that reminded me of flees, and they hopped really far when water touched.
I've been spraying soapy water on them for the past week, it seems that it's been diminishing the numbers of them. But I just find it odd because I don't have pets.
Thanks a bunch!

Tegan
by joclyn on June 18, 2006 07:39 AM
the eggs could have been in the soil. you could even have brought them in on your clothing/shoes...walking in the grass is enough to do it.
by gardeningmomma on June 18, 2006 08:35 AM
Could they be funus gnats? I've had those before. They come out when you water the plant.
by DowntoEarth on June 18, 2006 12:16 PM
Sounds like possible (springtails) which will spring up-wards when the soil is disturbed or watered.
Letting the soil dry out more might help since they love to be in moist soil. They eat the decaying material in the soil but won't hurt your plant.
by Tegan on June 20, 2006 03:19 AM
So what's the best way to get rid of them? Just dry out the soil? (I'm worried I'll kill my plant). Would it work to just water them with a watering system from the bottom (not me pouring water on top) to dry out the soil?
Thanks bunches [Smile]
by DowntoEarth on June 20, 2006 08:29 AM
There a few things you can try to either keep their numbers down or eliminating them all together.

Letting the soil dry between waterings,(never seen them in with cactus)
Adding some a few drops of some mild dish soap to the watering can.
Running lots of water through the soil (outdoors of course) causing the critters to surface to the top and spill out over the sides.You will lose soil doing this, just add new if needed.
Or, you can change the soil completely and not water as much,just not so much that the plant is dropping from lack of water.

It really doesn't matter how your plant is watered, from above or below, if the soil is moist and you have these little buggers wherever they came from, they will find the atmosphere delightful!

I have a few plants that need constant moist soil like palms and such, and they don't have these pest. The pest you have could have been in with the soil already when bought. I have heard people discovered these things in newly purchased bags of soil!
Wouldn't it be great if there was no such thing as indoor plant pest?

[wavey]

Susan
by Rosepetal on June 20, 2006 10:58 AM
Susan is right. [muggs]

I've had the same fleas or buggers and the only thing that helped was drying the soil out completely. Your plant will not die it just wilts. [clappy]

Try what Susan suggests. Let us know how it goes.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fleas....| Next thread: Flee Beatles? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: