The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ants in a house plant!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Ants Ants and yet more ants| Next thread: Ants in my containers »
Back to Thread index
by weakley63 on July 20, 2006 12:18 AM
Any suggestions on how to get rid of ants in a house plant. [dunno] It's a planter from a funeral home, so has a lot of different kinds of plants. PLEASE HELP!!!
by Jiffymouse on July 21, 2006 12:25 PM
i soak my plants well, in a bucket or the bathtub, when i bring them in each year to kill/rid them of any pests. you just have to make sure you drain it well.
by Triss on July 21, 2006 12:30 PM
I do the same, a small kids pool works well for this. Do all of the plants have their own containers? And are they all full grown plants with root systems? Oftentimes a funeral arrangement is just leaves stuck into florist foam rather than a live plant.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by weakley63 on July 21, 2006 04:31 PM
They are true plants with their own root systems. The only problem with soaking them is they are in a woven basket. [Eek!] Won't it hurt the basket to soak it in water? If not, do you put anything in the water? [dunno]
by Triss on July 21, 2006 05:19 PM
Oh the woven basket might be tough. They are not in individual pots within the basket? What is the basket made of?

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Jiffymouse on July 21, 2006 07:54 PM
if they are in a woven basket, the basket should have a liner that is removable. most do. take them out of the basket, then soak them.
by weakley63 on July 22, 2006 01:06 AM
How do you keep the dirt from falling off when I take them out of the basket to soak them?
by Frisha on July 22, 2006 03:42 AM
They more then likly need to be seperated and put in thier own pots anyway as most likely there is not any drainage in the plastic liner true? This is just a thought.
by justabloomer on July 22, 2006 07:49 AM
I had this problem a couple of times. What I did was take a small amount of dish soap (Ivory or Dawn is what I use) mixed with about two quarts of water and drench the soil. This has worked every time I've done it. Good luck!

Charley
by weakley63 on July 23, 2006 01:43 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll see what happens.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ants Ants and yet more ants| Next thread: Ants in my containers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: