The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plants in strange potting medium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: plants for windbreak| Next thread: Plants on e-bay?!? »
Back to Thread index
by Amany on June 15, 2006 09:44 AM
Hello there.

The past few times I purchased plants, I noticed that they were in some type of strange potting medium. It looks like soil, but it's not the same. It's difficult to stick your finger into to check for dryness. If fact it's sort of clings to the roots and seems a bit like a sponge to me. I can think of anything else to compare it too.

Anyway, I hate it. In fact, I won't even buy potted plants anymore. Lately I've been buying cuttings (rooted and unrooted) from Ebay.

Just about every place seems to be using it. The departments stores and nurseries alike. Has anyone else noticed this?

Oh and by the way, fungus gnats just love the stuff.

Amanda
by gardeningmomma on June 15, 2006 03:31 PM
I've noticed that too. I now dump that out when I buy a new plant and use fresh miracle gro in the pot I'm putting the plant in. I had fungus gnats in all my plants last Summer, it took forever to get rid of them, and I lost a few plants to them, so I have gotten myself in the habit of re-potting every new plant so I know it has bug free soil. [flower]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: plants for windbreak| Next thread: Plants on e-bay?!? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: