The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Advice please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by kirksgirl on November 01, 2005 03:48 AM
I want to plant something on a grave, something low maintence, that will last through out the winter(keep in mind I live in Ohio)and come back in the spring. I don't get to the cemetery very often and I need a no fuss plant, something beautiful yet hardy. The grave has huge sturdy stone urn so the plant won't be directly in the ground. any thoughts on this?

Chelsea
by MaryReboakly on November 01, 2005 08:24 AM
Hi Chelsea - welcome to the forum! [Smile] I think sedum, or 'live forevers' are good for the cemetary. They're simple, hardy, pretty and need little attention. They come in different colors. Here are some pictures

-
 -
by kirksgirl on November 01, 2005 08:44 AM
Very pretty. I am sure it is a stupid question But Do these sedums come in seeds or what? I have a couple of house plants but I have no idea about anything outdoor.
by MaryReboakly on November 01, 2005 08:56 AM
No such thing as a stupid question! [Wink] You can start these from seed, or you can usually find them pretty reasonably at the garden centers in spring. Here's a great article about sedum - I have some white sedum that I'd be happy to divide and send some of in the spring if you'd like - just PM me your adress and I'll send some off to you if you decide you'd like them.

-
 -
by cinta on November 01, 2005 10:33 AM
You cannot go wrong with Sedum. I have Sedum Brilliant that blooms Pink in the fall. Same goes for me if you want some let me know.

http://www.localaccess.com/blackcatnursery/

You could also add some Sempervirums. They do not die during the winter.

These two plants are no care plants that will survive all kinds of abuse.

Mary, White Sedum is that the bloom or the leaves? Sounds pretty do you have a name?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!

Active Garden Forum