The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My English Ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: My dying fern| Next thread: My entry »
Back to Thread index
by MikeG on October 08, 2005 01:39 PM
I am new to all this - know absolutely nothing about plants and I am going to be posting a lot of dumb questions, I think.

I bought a small english ivy plant a week ago from walmart. I plan to put it out in the yard by the fence. I have a few questions:

1 - What is the best time to plant it outside? Will it survive the cold winter if I plant it now?

2 - Can I simply buy any outdoor potting mix to plant it outside and use the miracle grow on it periodically?

3 - I have noticed some of the baby leafs are turning yellowish/brownish. I have kept it moderately moist as recommended with indirect light. What am I doing wrong?
by catlover on October 10, 2005 11:17 AM
You sure it is an outside plant? Don't get me wrong because it may be a variety that is for full sun....my neighbors awhile back had some on planted on a bank. Just an FYI....found this english ivy question in the houseplant section....and "my" english ivy were houseplants.....I had one of mine planted in a pot to close to full sun and it was fried.

English Ivy post in houseplantsThis one says bright indirect light.,,,If this is what you have????? [dunno]

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on October 10, 2005 11:26 AM
i've seen them indoors and out, and have had terrible luck with them both ways!
by tkhooper on October 11, 2005 11:34 PM
Dear MikeG,

Think long and hard before you plant ivy in your yard. If it takes it can become a major pain in the rear. It is a constant battle to keep it in place rather than encroaching into places where you don't want it. It will also over time destroy the fence you are putting it by. And if the fence is a boundry marker between your place and a neighbor I hope they don't have an shy plants on their side because the ivy will choke it out within a year or two. This has been my experience with ivy. It's hard to start but once it gets started it is very hard to stop.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My dying fern| Next thread: My entry »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: