The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hibiscus Help?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: hibiscus help!| Next thread: Hibiscus help »
Back to Thread index
by lizheaemma on January 06, 2004 10:32 PM
Anyone know any tricks to get a hibiscus to rebloom inside? The plant is in a sunny window and has lots of healthy green foliage and new growth! It was bought when it was in bloom three years ago and it hasn't bloomed since!

I haven't actually seen the plant but I was asked about it today at work!

I got a job caring for office plants! [Wink] Today was my first day and it was great! My boss is great! I am so excited!

I sugested that it might just need time to fill out it's pot before it blooms as she has repoted it since she got it! [dunno]

anyone else with idea's!
by Will Creed on January 07, 2004 03:12 AM
Congratulations on the new job! Caring for plants in offices is what I started doing 20+ years ago and I am still at it!

You are correct that Hibiscus, like most flowering plants, needs to be quite potbound to flower. In addition, they need an enormous amount of light to flower indoors, more than the average home or office can provide, especially in northern latitudes. Most folks put their Hibiscus' outside during the warmer months to get them to flower. They bring them inside in winter to protect then from the cold. During the winter indoors, they go semi-dormant, especially if kept on the cool side. This winter rest period will also help promote flowers next summer.
by lizheaemma on January 10, 2004 04:57 AM
Thank you yet again! [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hibiscus help!| Next thread: Hibiscus help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: