The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When should I dig up Elephant Ears & Cannas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by slredmond on September 16, 2005 09:52 AM
How do I know when to dig up my elephant ears and cannas? I'm assuming I should let them stand long enough for the bulbs/rhizomes to finish forming babies? How can I tell? [dunno] It's still hitting 80 here during the days and only in the 50's at night, so things are still growing and flowering like crazy. GREAT fall to set in new perennials! And besides, the clearance rack was calling my name! $6.99 Astilbes for 99 cents! [clappy]

Sandy R.
by mike57 on September 16, 2005 05:28 PM
[wayey] HI slredmond I leave my cannas in the ground over the winter but i do cover them with lots of leaves but i live in a different zone than you do.but i do dig up my elephant ears after the first frost and store them in lightly moist peat moss place them in a warm dark place .that is the best time to dig up cannas also.after your first frost cut off all the foliage,dig them up and rinse all the soil off them let them dry indoors for a few days then store them indoors in a dark dry place with the temp about 50 degrees store them in a mesh bag.hope this helps.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by BFVISION on September 16, 2005 07:40 PM
I'm with Mike [muggs] . I live in a solid (frozen) zone 6 [Eek!] . I try to wait until right before my first frost and dig them both up. Last year I didn't complete my dig (too many) and lost a few beauties. I [teacher] take a few of my patio pots,place the assorted bulbs in fresh peat moss and place in the basement. I water about 3x over the winter and trim back any growth that occurs over the winter.
I am on my third year with the same plants and it works out great.

Good Luck [thumb] !

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by plants 'n pots on September 16, 2005 07:48 PM
Great info, Mike and BF!

I, too, was wondering what to do with my cannas and elephant ears. Now I know...

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by slredmond on September 17, 2005 01:44 AM
OK - thanks all - greatly appreciated.

Sandy R.
by afgreyparrot on September 17, 2005 02:11 AM
OMG! [shocked]
I didn't know you had to dig cannas up!
(My first year with them...) [grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on September 19, 2005 04:55 AM
Cindy your down in zone 7 with Mike and I so I think you are safe if you mulch heavy. The only reason I plan to lift mine is because I planted them in the concrete planter and that silly thing freezes. But next year they will be safely in the ground somewhere lol.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: