The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When planting bulbs this fall - to water or not to water?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ND farm girl on September 07, 2006 11:44 PM
I just bought some bulbs at Lowes yesterday. On the package, it says to plant, cover with dirt, and water well. ?? I've planted bulbs many times, but never watered - I guess I was afraid they'd rot. But maybe they need the water to get their roots growing before frost? To water or not to water?

PattyM
by TulsaRose on September 08, 2006 02:39 AM
Patty, you should water everything when you first plant. Not only does it give the bulb\plant a jump start, it will get rid of air pockets in the soil. And if we have drought conditions again this year like a year ago, an occasional supplemental watering will be beneficial. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Bestofour on September 08, 2006 09:18 AM
Gee Rosie, I've never watered either. Thanks for the info.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by comfrey on September 08, 2006 09:42 AM
I've planted bulbs and not watered them either. Guess we know, Water bulbs when planting them.

-
 -
by TomR on September 08, 2006 09:45 AM
Water well.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by patches1414 on September 08, 2006 12:48 PM
Patty, I've always watered my bulbs when I first plant them, [Wink] but my beds have good drainage so I never really worried about them rotting. [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: