The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hydrangeas

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Hydrangeas| Next thread: hydrated lime »
Back to Thread index
by Tattooeed on August 29, 2005 11:45 AM
Hi! I've been visiting this website for years and I just joined the forum.
I'm from Connecticut and am a pretty miserable gardener but I am fairly decent with house plants.
I have a question regarding a hydrangea I've had in my garden for about 5 years.
I was advised to cut it all the way back in the fall. Last year I read that was a bad idea and that the plant would not bloom under those circumstances.
So, last fall I didn't cut it back.
This summer, the foliage was beautiful but not a single flower appeared.
Any suggestions?
by MaryReboakly on August 29, 2005 11:51 AM
Hi Tattooeed [Wink] Glad you decided to join us! It sounds like you have a type of hydrangea that blooms on old wood. There are some that will bloom on new growth, and some that will bloom on last years growth. If you're pruning in the fall, and it's not flowering the next year I'm thinkin that's why [Wink] Hope that helps! [thumb]

-
 -
by MaryReboakly on August 29, 2005 11:52 AM
Oh, PS! Here's a link to some hydrangea pruning tips [Wink]

-
 -
by Tattooeed on August 29, 2005 11:57 AM
I'm confused.

Should I prune the plant this fall or just leave it alone, wait until spring and then hit it with some good plant food?

Thanks for your help.
by weezie13 on August 29, 2005 10:07 PM
Did you know which variety you have????

Here's a quote from Bill's info...
quote:
Pruning and blooming
Hydrangeas only flower on on the tips of new growth, so you can remove any stems which have already bloomed. The French Hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla) flowers from buds formed on new growth produced the previous year, so pruning of this variety should be done immediately after blooming in early summer. Other varieties of Hydrangea should be pruned in late fall or early spring.The entire plant may be cut back to the ground if it becomes to large, because it will quickly regrow to it's prior size, and begin blooming again.

More than likely, you'd wait until spring,
*March~April* and trim them up....

And WELCOME to The Garden Helper's Forum,
We're VERY GLAD you joined up...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Tattooeed on August 30, 2005 12:03 PM
No, I don't know which variety I have.
I'll take your advice and give it a haircut in the spring.
Thanks and have a great day! [Wink]
by cinta on August 30, 2005 12:20 PM
Just my 2 cents. I would leave the plant alone for two years. No cutting at all. If it blooms after the two years you know you have one that blooms on previous year growth.

If you keep cutting on the plant it will never bloom because what is growing this year to bloom next year you are cutting off.

If it is one that blooms on Previous year growth (all that growth you are getting now) and you do not cut it this year or next Spring you will have blooms next summer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Tattooeed on September 05, 2005 08:47 AM
I think that pretty sound advice. I'm not going to touch it. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and see what happens.
Perhaps if I sent it some Reiki energy, it might decide to bloom for me.
Thanks for your help.
I hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day weekend. [clappy]
by cinta on September 06, 2005 07:04 AM
Thank you. I have had a great Labor Day weekend.

My other thought of your plant is winter kill if it is one that is prior year growth bloom. I have heard of people wrapping the plant in bulap or a garbage bag stuffed with leaves around the bush to protect it from the freezing ice and snow.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Tattooeed on September 12, 2005 02:31 AM
I'd be more than happy to wrap up my hydrangea in a coat during the winter months!
I don't know what this winter has in store for CT, but last year was horrific ~~ TONS of snow.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all this great advice.
Have a great week, everyone [grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hydrangeas| Next thread: hydrated lime »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: