The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

red or burgundy wine

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: red mites| Next thread: Red Pepper Soybean Cakes »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on March 19, 2007 01:57 PM
Hello everyone from Ohio! I just found a good crock pot recipe for beef bourguignon and it asked for red or burgundy wine well I do not drink wine so what is a good one for cooking?Please give name so I can find it in the store?Thank you Rita
by ms.tmac on March 19, 2007 02:06 PM
Well if you're not a wine drinker, then may I make a suggestion. Instead of red wine use nonalcoholic wine, or apple cider, or beef broth, or even tomato juice. This is according to my emergency subsitutions chart in my Betty Crocker's cookbook.
by Shirley4 on March 19, 2007 02:39 PM
But I wouldn't worry about cooking with wine, even if you are a non-drinker, because.. When cooking with wine, or whatever, the alchohol is cooked out (steamed out, evaporated, whatever) and only the 'flavor' is left.

-
 -
Some hearts, like evening primroses, open more beautifully in the shadows of life.
 -  - Shirley's Secret Room
by webwise on March 19, 2007 04:13 PM
Beef bourgogne (or borguignon) actually means cooked in the burgundy style. As Shirley says, all alcohol is lost in the cooking process so don't worry about that. The secret (according to a friend of mine who is a cordon bleu chef) is not to cook with a wine that you would not drink. But if you don't drink wine, no problem. Just use a decent red wine i.e. one that does not cost $1 a gallon, lol. Don't know what wine prices are Stateside but I would not look at one that costs less than £4 (about $7.50). If French wines are expensive there then don't worry. Get a decent Californian red. That will do beautifully.

-
I am told that one day my brain will grow and grow. I'm looking forward to being a half wit.
by joclyn on March 19, 2007 04:55 PM
webwise has it right.

a lower-cost wine (california, new york, or even something from south america or even checkoslovakia) is fine for cooking...aim for something that is about $8.00 a bottle.

i don't drink either...i DO use wines in a LOT of recipe's tho!! it adds terrific flavor!!

for that recipe, you'll want a 'burgundy' if you can't find one, a merlot would be okay.

since i don't drink, i tend to buy the small bottles in the 4-pack...that way, if i'm not making doubled or tripled recipes (i freeze everything in portions), i'm not wasting the wine. i try to cook in big batches tho because it's just easier for me and, if i'm using wine, it's a little cheaper to buy the regular sized bottle.
by ladystressout on March 19, 2007 05:19 PM
can you all give me a name brand there are so many wines on the shelf and I would like to go and look for a brand name the store that I will be going to is a grocery store that has a department but there is no one that can really help you select and also after you open the wine do you put it in the fridge?thanks all Rita
by webwise on March 20, 2007 07:27 AM
No use asking me I'm afraid. Export brands will be different from domestic and the only US wines we get here are all Californian. There is one called Blossom Hill from ca that is a reasonable price and fine for cooking and drinkable as well but many ca wines are fairly expensive here and too good too waste on cooking. Do beware of Chilean though. If they send you the same stuff as they send us I would only use it for pickling [Roll Eyes] but Argentina produces some good stuff.

-
I am told that one day my brain will grow and grow. I'm looking forward to being a half wit.
by joclyn on March 20, 2007 05:36 PM
when i get home, i'll look at the bottles i have left from the last four-pack i got - won't be until late tonight tho.

that was a really nice merlot that i used when i made the brisket.
by joclyn on March 21, 2007 04:21 AM
it's frontera cabernet sauvignon merlot.

hmm. it's from chile.

i didn't taste it, i DID take a good whiff of it when i opened the bottle - smelled nice and rich. and the meat came out with a really nice flavor to it (much better than the last brisket i cooked that i used a different wine for).
by ladystressout on March 21, 2007 07:26 PM
thank you so much joclyn will be checking it out at the store,again big thanks friend Rita
by joclyn on March 22, 2007 12:14 AM
you're quite welcome, rita!!! if you can't find that particular one, any other brand that's priced between $8 and $10 will be fine!
by ms.tmac on March 22, 2007 06:17 AM
Hey, has no one ever tried a nice wine from Niagara Falls region? Really great wine and because its Canadian and we have winters, they even make a nice ice wine. Anyway go to your local wine store and tell the person working there that you need a wine that pairs well with your beef bourgogne and they should be well prepared to assist you.Don't know about the rest of you but, we have the best Canadian Beer. Very high alcohol content. Not like that American ****.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: red mites| Next thread: Red Pepper Soybean Cakes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: