The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hosta's

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Hosta problem| Next thread: hosta's »
Back to Thread index
by Canhosta on July 13, 2005 02:20 AM
Would like to jump in and say hello, from Eastern Canada...I have just reacently taken an interest in planting several types of Hosta's. I was just about to plant a "Sums and Substance". I have a large Maple tree in my back yard, would you think it would be ok to plant this hosta under the tree. Thks
by Gardencrazy on July 13, 2005 03:01 AM
Howdy [wayey] Canhosta [wayey] Welcome to the forum.

I have most of my hostas under trees. The biggest things you have to worry about are roots and water. The tree roots can be all over the place and crowd out the hosta over time. The water issue IMO is a bigger deal. The trees drain the water from around them so it leaves very little for the other plants. During the warmer months I have to water mine atleast twice a week. Mulch them well too. Hope this helps.

Donna [flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by gardengal on July 13, 2005 06:12 AM
My biggest problem with hostas has been snails!! But before the snails got them they were planted under my maple tree and did just fine. Good luck. I've given up on hostas, maybe I'll try them again some day... [Smile]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by MaryReboakly on July 13, 2005 10:48 AM
Welcome to the forum [Wink]

I LOVE hostas, and have about 10 now (I've been a little hosta crazy - just started my garden this year) Sum & Substance is one of the larger hostas that will grow about 3' x 3'. You want to make sure you plant it far enough away from the tree so that it has room to grow that large [Wink]

As Donna said you want to watch the water since hostas do like their water [Wink] You might think about building a rasied bed around the tree about a foot or more away from the trunk to be sure your hosta is getting enough water. Good luck!

-
 -
by Canhosta on July 13, 2005 08:05 PM
I would like thank everyone for the help in my decision where to plant my "Sums and Substance" Hosta. I will stay tuned to the forum, as I find it very interesting to read other posts and watch the solutions to their problems. Thanks again.
by toot1 on July 14, 2005 01:51 AM
An old remedy for slugs is to sink cat food tins into the ground (or something like them) and fill with beer. THey love the beer, fall in and drown, or die of alcohol intoxication. Try to keep the dog out of it.
by tkhooper on July 14, 2005 02:40 AM
I wonder if the squirrel would go after the beer. What a terrible thought shame on me. But I can just see him trying to navigate the retaining wall while about 3 sheets to the wind.

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!

Someone mentioned something about eggshells around the edge too. I don't remember what it was though. I guess my mind just isn't going to remember again. Sorry.
by MaryReboakly on July 14, 2005 06:49 AM
eggshells being sharp when they're crushed up are supposed to cut the little buggers when they cross over them...but I've heard people say that crushed eggshells weren't effective for them - guess it depends on how tough your brand of slugs are [Wink]

An important point about the beer trick is to put the beer away from the hosta or whatever you're trying to keep slugs away from - you don't want to attract new slugs to your hosta...you ultimately want to lure them away and any future generations as well.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hosta problem| Next thread: hosta's »
Back to Thread index