The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

limey lament....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by pattioh on June 30, 2005 02:43 AM
Hi y'all, [kitty]

I have been fruitlessly searching my gardening books to find info on how to apply lime (quick and easy) to problem spots, including containers I suspect are too acid. [Razz]

Can I just buy it and hand sprinkle? Will it harm plants, if they contact it? Are there different types of lime with some better for this type of application?

Sorry about the bother [tears] ...my books have failed me, and I know the guys and gals at my local W@lm@rt will be clueless [thinker]

Tanksabunch [thumb]

Pat

ACTUAL CHURCH BULLETIN TYPOS #9: Don't let worry kill you off - let the church help.
by RugbyHukr on June 30, 2005 07:49 AM
You should get a cheap PH tester to make sure. Lime is just a source of magnesium & calcium. But, you need to be sure that your soil is deficient in both of these nutrients. Too much magnesium can stop plants from absorbing enough calcium.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on June 30, 2005 10:14 AM
I'm confused I thought lime was what you added when you wanted more acid in the soil. lol leave it to me to get it backwards.

-
 -
by pattioh on July 02, 2005 12:45 AM
quote:
I'm confused I thought lime was what you added when you wanted more acid in the soil. lol leave it to me to get it backwards.
TK, that's what I thought too. I was reading about Dianthus' (mine are still only itty bitty plantlets) when I saw that they don't like acid soil. When I checked on how to remedy acidity-- I saw that you add lime. I would've thought that lime WAS acid--but I guess I got it mixed up with the fruit...... [perplexed]

....as to RugbyHukr's warning about soil testing, [teacher] the BOOKS say [Roll Eyes] that the marks of acid soils are: abundant moss, and the weeds creeping buttercup and dock. I've got all three, and my acid hating plants are not doing well (and when I planted I abundantly peat mossed). BUT---still I think you're right and if I find time I will do that soil test ...I think I even have a kit lying around here SOMEWHERE <frantically rummaging through junk> [Big Grin]

Thanks all [kitty]
--Have a great 4rth [flower] [flower] [flower] --enjoy your loved ones (your families, friends AND flowers!!)!

ACTUAL CHURCH BULLETIN TYPOS #9: Don't let worry kill you off - let the church help.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: