The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lime Tree - limes keep falling off

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Lime tree| Next thread: limey lament.... »
Back to Thread index
by BigJimSlade on May 23, 2005 07:26 PM
Hi, Big Jim here:

I have a potted lime tree on my porch here in Tampa, FL. The blossoms keep coming left and right, 50 at a time. However, after a few weeks of growth, the limes just fall off. Other than the occasional mealybug, no noticeable pests or diseases. I may have been underwatering it for a bit as though.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Big Jim
by afgreyparrot on May 23, 2005 08:28 PM
quote:
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Only thought I had was to keep a bottle of tequila and a salt shaker on the porch! [grin]

But, that's probably not the kind of answer you were after! [Embarrassed]

That's all I know about limes. [dunno]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by afgreyparrot on May 23, 2005 08:31 PM
P.S.
That kind of reply is the very reason I'm not allowed up here in this part of the forum!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(sorry!)

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by njoynit on May 23, 2005 09:32 PM
how many are falling off???like all of um???In the hot summer months its normal to have some fruit drop.so it could likely be wateringthey like alot alot of water,but have to drain well also.
also extreamly hot dry windy days can cause fruit drop.and also if you water TOO much the fruit will split.
I don't think you'd have a humidity problem,but they like humidity(just ask my loquat& kumquat)you can use a small type gravel on the soil top to help it from drying so fast and some use coco fiber/spanish moss.

I have a rooted stem off a lime growing..it will someday be a campanion for tequila [muggs] I even have a tequila agave growing [Roll Eyes]

When I water my containers.I water them 2-3 times after an hour will go back and water again and again a lil while later and again in the afternoon.But I kinda get HOT enough here to dry them out....THAT FAST!
Hope I helped some.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Longy on May 23, 2005 10:09 PM
Hi Jim, i agree with Njoynit re the watering. With citrus they don't like it too wet or too dry but the big killer is the inconsistency of irregular watering. Let 'em dry out too much and they'll drop fruit. Then water again and they'll drop fruit from the shock. The trick is to retain constant soil moisture and the best method in a pot is to use a mulch of coir or similar and to shade the pot from the sun. Even put the pot in another pot or basket etc if necessary. Just don't let it dry out too much before watering again. Probably let the surface dry to about an inch down then give it a good drink again.
by Amigatec on May 24, 2005 05:18 AM
I have a plum tree that is doing the same thing. All the plums are on the ground.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by papito on May 24, 2005 07:55 PM
I agree with Njoynit and Longy about the importance of consistent watering. I also use/put gravels on top of the soil to help keep the soil moisture in limes, lemons, oranges, kumquats, other citruses, loquats and edible figs.

Jim, large amount of fruit drop may occur when the lime tree is under stress due to overwatering or underwatering, high heat or extreme cold, or rapid changes in air temperature and moisture.. Fruit drop is usually preceded by blossom drop.

Fruit may develop to the size of a pea, and/may also fall off if the flowers have not been pollinated. Pollinators could be deterred by rain, and cold weather.

Excessive fruit drop may also be caused by improper fertilization. Do the apllication between February and September, 4X during the first two years, 3X thereafter until maturity.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by BigJimSlade on May 27, 2005 05:01 AM
I want to thank everyone for their great advice here. I did not even realize my post made it through as I was having browser trouble that day.

I still have the lime tree in its original pot. I guess I should repot it here. It seems to dry out pretty quick, even watering it twice a week.

I like the idea of putting some pebbles and whatnot down over the surface to help with the moisture retention. I also have peat moss. Would it help to put a plastic covering over the soil around the base of the plant? I have been growing a calamandarin from seed in an old aquarium with a somewhat tight lid that retains moisture, and that plant is looking great.

Also, I have only one lime tree on the porch. It is Persian Lime. They do not need any cross polination, do they? I have just been buzzing an electric toothbrush around the flowers. [Smile]

Thanks again!

Big Jim

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lime tree| Next thread: limey lament.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: