The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cooking wines

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Cooking Capons?| Next thread: Cookout menu??? »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on February 04, 2006 03:28 AM
Hello would someone please give me a name of a good cooking red and white wine?A lot of recipes to use red or white wine but I never bought any and so now I would like to try but there is so many at the store don't know what to look for?Hope someone can help me out here and please give me names so I can go right do the wines to see if they carry it?I did heard that it should be good enough to drink also?Bye
by afgreyparrot on February 04, 2006 12:30 PM
Not that I drink or anything...... [lala]
But I like to keep Lambrusco and chardonnay on hand at all times. Lambrusco has a good flavor for cooking...as well as drinking while you're cooking...not that I would know that, but I heard that somewhere.....

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by ChristinaC on February 04, 2006 12:40 PM
Oh Cindy...you're funny!!

I have an apron that says, "I love cooking with beer...sometimes I even add it to my food."

Ladystressout..any red or white wine that you enjoy will work for cooking..there's no right or wrong, it's whatever you'd also drink because that will be the flavour that it adds to your dish. I choose to cook (and drink) with dry wines because I don't like a lot of sweetness in my food...or wine. But again, it's whatever you prefer.

Christina

-
 -
by Dixie Angel on February 04, 2006 12:45 PM
I like Chardonnay, Rita. I think you will, too...

Dianna

-
 -
by ladystressout on February 05, 2006 12:14 AM
Gosh! I have to thank you all good ideas,I do not drink wine myself?I have been trying diffrent kinds but no luck yet,but will try chardonnay is theri a brand name that is good or do I look for chardonnay wine?Thank you all and keep helping me out with the wine please!
by tkhooper on February 05, 2006 03:56 AM
For a white wine try a nice domestic May wine. They are lighter than many white wines and have a lovely flavor in my opinion. But then I'm just an old wino what would I know lol.

For when a red wine is called for I go all out with a burgandy. Especially for the sauces which is usually where my recipes call for wine or vinegar. Of course now that I'm in recovery I always use vinegar instead of wine. But that's because I have trouble with alcohol.

-
 -
by ladystressout on February 09, 2006 12:19 AM
girls and guys are there a name brand i do not know anything about wine! Thank you all so much for all the input just wanted to what name brand i should get?Rita
by tkhooper on February 09, 2006 01:20 AM
For the May wine I don't remember the brand name it's a winery in Marysville Washington. You can only find it in May and it is good.

Any of the domestic california burgandy's will do fine. There really isn't one that stands out above the rest.

-
 -
by ladystressout on February 10, 2006 04:09 AM
Thank you so much girl bye for now Rita
by peppereater on March 27, 2006 03:55 AM
I'm with tk on the burgundy. I use Carlo Rossi because it's just a few bucks for a 1 and 1/2 liter bottle. Ask at the liquor store for a pale dry sherry, they're excellent white wines for cooking with mushrooms and other very delicate flavors. Another to use on some occasions is a marsala wine...it has a flavor that is unique among wines, and intense. I make Chicken Marsala with browned chicken breasts or thighs, sliced mushrooms and garlic, served on linguini. It is very Italian and very different tasting, worth trying!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by ladystressout on March 28, 2006 12:23 AM
Keep the information coming in glad you know me about the May wine or I would be looking for it in the stores. I do not go to wine store usually at the grocery store they have a wine selection but any more information will help me out here and thank you all for the help.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cooking Capons?| Next thread: Cookout menu??? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: