The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cookout menu???

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: cooking wines| Next thread: Cool, Clear Water »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on April 11, 2005 11:54 PM
Assumming that BZ doesn't have to go to fat camp, he should have 2 weeks here at home after Basic and before Jump school. I want to have a cookout with all of the people who are supporting him. There will probably be around 35 people invited. I need a menu....nothing too elaborate since I will be asking people who are coming to bring something so that I don't have to make everything. It will probably fall on Memorial Day weekend, which I think is somewhat appropriate for his cookout, so it can be somewhat patriotic. Also any decoration ideas??

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on April 12, 2005 03:00 PM
Idea #1

Tossed Salad
Potato Salad
Macaroni Salad
Barbeque Ribs
Corn in a jacket
Biscuits or Dinner rolls depending on your preference.
Banana Pudding

Condiments: Salad Dressings, Butter, Salt, Pepper

Beverages: Sodas, Beers

Note: For tender Ribs boil before barbequing. Salads using mayonaise cannot be left out for more than 2 hours they will go bad.

Idea #2

Grilled Salmon Steaks
Dill Salad
Potato in a Jacket
Ice Cream or Sherbert
Sour Dough Rolls

Condiments: Lemon Slices, Tartar Sauce, Ketchup, Vinegar, Butter, Sour Cream, Chives, Bacon Bits, and Shredded Cheese

Beverages: Lemon/Limeade, Punch, Sodas, wine Coolers

Note: This is way more expensive unless you happen to know an alaskan fisherman, like my brother-in-law.

Idea #3

Veggie Trays
Hamburgers & Hot Dogs
3 bean salad
Macaroni & cheese
Tomato & Mushroom Marinade

Condiments: Ketchup, mustard, mayonaise, lettuce, tomato slices, pickle chips or spears, sweet relish & pickle relish.

Beverages: Soda & Beer

Hope something here is of help. Enjoy your party.

-
 -
by hisgal2 on April 12, 2005 08:28 PM
I like parts of idea 1 and idea 3 (fish isn't really something that our cirlce of friends likes....and we don't have enough salmon to go around for everyone! [Big Grin] )

What is corn in a jacket???

-
 -

-
by 4Ruddy on April 12, 2005 09:54 PM
Jenn...the way I do roasted corn on the grill is to mix your favorite herbs....I use
roemary
basil
thyme
marjoram
garlic powder

Mix with softened butter

peel one flap of husk back and remove the silk from the ear. Soak ears of corn in water for 30 minutes or so. Re-open the husk that you used to remove the silk and spread the softened butter/herb mixture. Close the husk and put on the top rack of the grill (where the flame wont actually get to the corn)close the grill and and let them smoke. The husks will turn black (so don't be alarmed) serve right off the grill...corn is wonderful done this way. It is about the only way I serve fresh corn during the summer, except for the few ears I make fresh corn cakes with.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by 4Ruddy on April 12, 2005 09:59 PM
I was also going to mention that if you have a party supply store close, they will have a lot of patriotic decorations with July coming up. My hubby is Mr. Patriot America, so we decorated our patio in the red/white & blue theme so I keep a lot of the plates, napkins, cups..etc. to use all summer. I order a lot of stuff from ABC distributing Company and they always have a lot of patriotic decorations (very inexpensive)

www.abcdistributing.com

-
 -

by hisgal2 on April 12, 2005 11:05 PM
Ohh! Good idea! I just got my Joanne coupons and they have some stuff 40-50% off! Its probably stuff from last year, but hey, who cares!?

-
 -

-
by tkhooper on April 13, 2005 05:54 AM
Vanessa gave you a perfect recipe for the corn-in-a-jacket. And it was much better written than I could have done. I forget steps sometimes which can get really entertaining so I don't put anything in here that I don't already have in my recipe book. A few days ago I made teriaki chicken and was trying to write down the recipe as I went. The chicken came out great the directions didn't even make sense to me when I re-read them. lol

By the way chicken teriaki is also good done on the grill but it does make a lot of smoke.

I know what you mean about fish being very expensive. We had a lot of it when I was growing up but that's because Sid worked the Alaska fishing boats during the summer. And dad and all his friends had crab pots and back then red tides were very seldom so we all dug gooieducks and picked oysters. And the smelt run every year was a real treat before I hit my teenage years and didn't want to get all wet and sandy. With salt dreadlocks before they were a fashion statement.

Have a great party and if there is anything else I can do please let me know.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on April 13, 2005 06:55 AM
TK, I seldom ever use a recipe because if I do...I always think a little more of this or that would be better...then I forget what I did different to it! I collect recipe books...and gaze through them all of the time...but hardly ever use a recipe out of one. I use them more for ideas...or a starting point. Jenn is really creative so her party will be a blast!

-
 -

by tkhooper on April 14, 2005 02:51 PM
Hi Vanessa,

That's great, experimenting with recipes is a lot of fun. My recipe "book" is actually a computer file that I have had for ages and even includes recipes from my grandmother. She used to keep them on those little 3x5 cards. Some recipies were several cards stapled together. And I have added things that I have run across that I like or that others have said that they like. Many of them started out as just a need to cook "something".

I just try to make sure that I don't give out any recipe that isn't "tried & true" and entirely accurate. My mind is not very good anymore so remembering something off of the top of my head could lead to a huge disappointment at a very important time for someone. So I don't do that.

In "An idea for TK..." over in Banter Hall one of the menu plans starts out with a story of how it got created. So I definitely understand about creative cooking.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on April 15, 2005 07:41 AM
Tammy...(this is totally off the subject here)when you mentioned recipes of your grandmother's it reminded me of the neat Christmas gift I received last year. My Aunt made a cookbook out of all of my grandmother's recipes...but in each book she put one of grandma's original handprinted recipes in the front...it was so neat to see that recipe in her handwriting...and so sweet of my Aunt to part with so many of them...it is one of my treasures.

-
 -

by tkhooper on April 15, 2005 11:27 AM
You are so lucky,

Wow, that must have been a lot of work.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on April 19, 2005 09:09 PM
I think it was really pretty easy. She just copied all grandma's recipes that she wanted in the book and laminated the "original" handwritten one. She just got some inexpensive binders, made an index and put them together. She did write a page or so for the front of the book...just some really neat memories and thoughts about grandma in her kitchen. I don't think it was difficult at all but is certainly one of my treasures. I thought it was a great Christmas gift idea. I have been thinking about "copying" the idea and doing one from my mother's recipes. She was an excellent cook...and just insisted that every thing be a pretty to look at as it was good to eat!

-
 -

by SharonSEVirginia on April 20, 2005 11:46 AM
I'd be sure to include at least one favorite dish BZ liked - even if it didn't fit with the rest of the cookout menu - It might even blow his mind away if you had every favorite thing he liked - I'd think that'd say a big "We love you and are so proud of what you are doing!" I don't even know him and I sure do appreciate it! Hats off! (A patriotic Poem I learned in the fourth grade that showed honor and respect to our flag) You could have that poem printed (I can get it for you) and sitting at his place of honor at his plate with a flag as background on the paper and a picture of him at his place setting - everyone can have party hats and remove them and stand as someone reads the poem -
and in unison say thank you "BZ" for your part in defending our freedom - or say their own few words they'd like to say - even if it's just - hi - or man your a handsome dude in that uniform - or whatever - well, just thinking here - but I'm sure it'll all be wonderful. (also, having his favorite music playing in bg - or something that is just "him" would be a nice touch)
by rxx on May 23, 2005 10:53 AM
[skipped]

http://chicken-recipe.nm.ru

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cooking wines| Next thread: Cool, Clear Water »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: