The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Helleborus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Heliconia problem, need help| Next thread: Helleborus not happy? »
Back to Thread index
by patches1414 on February 15, 2006 08:31 PM
Hi All, [wavey]

I’m patches 1414 and I’m a newbie. I live in Illinois (right across the river from St. Louis), and I am in zone 5. I've been gardening for many years, but most of that consisted of planting a just few vegetables, shrubs, bushes, and lots of annuals. Well, several years ago I got hooked on perennials, so I invested in a mini-tiller and started playing in the dirt. Wow, this was so much fun and I felt like a kid again! Now, I’m addicted!

In 2004, I tilled up a spot for a shade garden and planted Lily-of-the-Valley, Hostas, various ferns, Bleeding Heart, Coral Bells, Astilbes, Helleborus, and daylilies where there is dappled sun. Well, the Helleborus didn't come up the next year, so I planted another one, but that didn't look very good at the end of the year and I don't it will came back this year. Has anyone else had any trouble with them? Any ideas what I am doing wrong? [dunno]

I'm sending some pictures of my shade garden in 2004 and 2005. It is the same area, just taken from a different angle. What a difference a year can make!

Have a GREAT day!

patches1414

-

-

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by loz on February 16, 2006 12:11 AM
I don't know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the pictures!!!! [thumb]

It looks good patches! [thumb]

I love bleeeding hearts, and my dad gave me a ton of lily of the valley a few years ago! [grin]
by tkhooper on February 16, 2006 03:09 AM
I bought some lentil roses too. Imagine my suprise when I read on the package that it can take up to 18 months for them to sprout. Here is some basic information I have gathered on them so far. I would pay attention to that slight alkaline reference probably most of all. As far as I'm concerned mine fall under the heading of very picky lol.

Conditions for sprouting: Plant in the fall unless you can refrigerate the plant
Mature Plant Care:
Lighting requirements: Partial shade
Watering requirements: Keep Moist
Soil requirements: Stays moist pH: slightly alkaline
Dead Heading: No
Pinching flower spikes: No
Plant spacing: 12 inches
Pruning times and amounts: N/A
Plant Life Cycle: Perennial
Propogation: Seed planted in the fall
Height of Plant: 12 to 18 inches

-
 -
by patches1414 on February 18, 2006 03:33 PM
Thanks for the information but I didn't start these from seeds. They seemed to be healthy plants which I bought from a nursery here in town. According to the info you sent it appears that I followed all the necessary requirements, so maybe I need to try different nursery.

Thanks a bunch!

patches1414

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by tamara on February 20, 2006 08:46 PM
Beautiful picture, the front of my house is partial shade. Never planted helleborus though, I've thought about it but could not find them. Lady's Mantle is a good plant for your garden also, packs a bit of color with the astilbes.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by patches1414 on February 21, 2006 12:32 AM
Hi Tamara, [wavey]

I just thumbed one of my catalogs and found the Lady's Mantle and I like it. Don't know how I've missed that one before, but I originally chose a lot of my plants for the shade garden by looking at some of the garden plans for shade. I guess they didn't include Lady's Mantle in those plans. Spring is approaching fast so that is one I'll be checking out. Thanks so much for the head's up!

patches [kitty]

-
 -
by flwrgrdnmom on March 06, 2006 12:12 AM
I have 4-5 Lenten Rose plants, and they are planted at the north end of my house. They only get a little sun in the colder months when the trees lose their leaves. The ground stays fairly moist there, and I have never done anything to them, other than pile pine straw and leaf litter on them. No fertilizing, no extra watering except in the middle of summer, no dead heading. I've found them to be very hardy, easy to grow and they've all bloomed within a year of getting them. As a matter of fact, I have one blooming that has only that one stem with one leaf above ground. It's a little piece I accidentally broke off last year when I was digging around. I stuck it in the ground and there it grows. I must have just stumbled on to a great way to grow them without even knowing it! lol
by slredmond on April 07, 2006 05:36 PM
Patches - I think these must be VERY slow to get started. See my post on these, too, "Helleborus not Happy," because I thought for sure they were dead but I'm finally getting a flower on one of them. How are yours doing a month since your post?

Sandy R.
by patches1414 on April 08, 2006 03:22 PM
Hi Sandy! [wavey]

Okay, I'll check it out! [thumb] I'm still not seeing any sign of life and I think I've lost them [tears] , but I'm not planting anything else there until I'm sure. [Wink]

patches [kitty]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Heliconia problem, need help| Next thread: Helleborus not happy? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: