The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Heliconia problem, need help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Heliconia| Next thread: Helleborus »
Back to Thread index
by YvieInCa on March 26, 2004 03:11 AM
[wayey] I just purchased a heliconia which is vibrant red and yellow. (It's beautiful). However, there are a few spots on the leaves. They are grayish color surrounded by black and the rest of the leaf is fine. However, there is also a leaf that is turning yellow. [dunno] I'd really like this to survive (I've been known as "black thumb" too long. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

----
Yvie [Smile]
by Buglady on March 26, 2004 09:14 AM
Can you send a photo? Sounds like a fungal leaf spot. If one leaf is turning yellow I would not worry but if all do there is a problem.

As a homeowner hard to diagnose diseases, and not all are treatable. Be sure when you prune off dead leaf you wash cutter in alcohol before and after, not to spread infection. Do not stress plant by over feeding or keeping to wet. Keep foliage dry too, and make sure its getting enough light.. they do not make great houseplants.

Also make sure you do not have fungus gnats.. they can spread plant diseases to other plants.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by YvieInCa on March 26, 2004 06:43 PM
Hi Buglady!

Thanks so much for posting a reply. This picture is about the best one I could get to emcompass all the problems. The leaves (there are now a few) that are yellowing and the spots in them. Let me know what you think, and what i should do about this. I'm new to gardening, so I know pretty much nothing about it. [Smile] Thanks so much for your help!  - If the image doesn't show up just go to this website to see it (it's my personal site) Heliconia Problems There are other pictures of the problem there too.

THanks a bundle!

----
Yvie [Smile]
by Buglady on March 27, 2004 06:53 AM
Well, to start of your plants it not a Heliconia, it is a bromeliad. HUGH difference.

Be sure you are keeping the cup of the plant full of water. They need high humidity. The damage almost looks like sunburn or chemical damage. Did you say you kept it by sunny window? Plants can burn just like people. It could be just some kind of physical damage too.

I would just watch it and see if problem gets worse.

-
 -
The Buglady
by barbi on March 27, 2004 04:54 PM
YvieInCa, I agree with Buglady.. the 'bruises' look like sunburn from water splashed on the leaf and perhaps the same of the yellowing..(too much water)

and I tend to agree that you have a bromeliad. some info on care..

http://www.heirloomgardenexperts.com/info-sheets/bromeliads.htm

-

"To cultivate a garden and grow flowers from the sod is to go hand and hand with nature and walk very close to God.
Helen Steiner-Rice
by YvieInCa on March 27, 2004 06:12 PM
Wow, Thank you so much BugLady and Barbi. I REALLY appreciate your help. I'm really glad I found this place.

So from now on I'll leave my bromeliad ;)on the shaded porch (it never gets direct sun, but gets great filtered light.) And I'll mist it and be sure the cup is full of water. Any idea how hearty these things are temperature wise? I'm not worried right now, because it's no been dipping below the 58-60 range at night and is in the mid to high 70's during the day. But curious for a later time.

Thank you SO much for all your info.

----
Yvie [Smile]
by Buglady on March 28, 2004 02:02 AM
They are tropical so i would not let them get very cold... 50 would be about their cut off.

Good luck

-
 -
The Buglady

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Heliconia| Next thread: Helleborus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: