The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

A Wild Rose

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on June 05, 2005 05:47 PM
One of the benefits of pulling the grass up around the dwarf evergreens is it is giving other things a chance to come up. Mostly it is maple saplings that I have to get rid of but today it is a little tiny rose. I hope it makes it. I pulled some more grass up around it so that the landlord wouldn't accidently mow it down. I don't know anything about wild roses. Can someone fill me in?
by pcgrav on June 06, 2005 02:17 AM
They are called species roses. Some grow as shrubs and some grow as climbers. The are all hardy and self-pollinate. The ones native to North America will only bloom once per season. The blooms are always single, have only five petals, and all have yellow stamens in the center. They come in shades of yellow pink or red.-- I wouldn't do much more than maybe give it a drink of water from time to time. Watch it and see how it fares... [grin]

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by tkhooper on June 06, 2005 03:19 AM
Thanks Tricia,

There for a little while I didn't think anyone was going to answer. I've had one of those before it was bright yellow. Disappointing as a rose but pretty as a flower. Does that make sense?
by MissJamie on June 06, 2005 03:47 AM
hi tk! that's great that you have a pretty rose growing :-) we have pretty white one's growing EVERYWHERE here and I thought they were blackberry bushes the whole time because they look a lot like them. you know the flowers that grow on blackberry bushes before the blackberries come out and grow? I'll try to get some pics of the wild roses from around here...they smell gooooood!!!!!! lol

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by tkhooper on June 06, 2005 08:19 AM
Those are very small blooms on a berry bush. Are your rose blooms that small too? That would be great I love miniatures. My only concern is it's location. It is sitting right next to one of the dwarf evergreens and those buggers are timid. They won't even fight with grass for growing space. I see you are going to Virginia Beach. Will you be stopping by? I'll show you the weed patch and the ant megalopolis lol. They are everywhere. Today they were out there conducting a regular war. Then I got the new bed layed out and they were all over that.
by MissJamie on June 07, 2005 01:21 AM
hi there! yeap the roses are that small lol they smell soooooo good though!! I will hopefully be able to get some pics of them within the next couple of days. it's looking pretty cloudy out so we might be getting some rain tomorrow :-( and I really really really wish we could stop by but my brother,me,my grandpa,and his wife are going and she's just plain nuts! I hate the woman!! she's accused me and my brother of stealing stuff of hers that we wouldn't even want! and plus we're christians and have never stole anything in our lives and wouldn't even want to steal anything! well she knows what she can kiss.lol!! she's not our grandmother...she died in '98 and my grandpa married this psychotic woman (if ya wanna call her that!) and she's always accussing my poor grandpa of looking and "making eyes" at other women (if I were married to something that looked like that I'd wanna look at anything but her too!!)but that's another long and annoying story [Mad] [Roll Eyes] [Frown] [devil] [Mad] If I ever get my license and a job and everything though maybe we could get together and meet with a couple of other people from here maybe :-) that would be sooo cool and fun!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by tkhooper on June 07, 2005 02:22 AM
Yes it would. It would be lots and lots of fun. Maybe someday we could do that.
by weezie13 on June 07, 2005 02:45 AM
I have a wild rose I let grow,
just outside my oldests window....
***I tell him I keep it there so no bad guys
can crawl in there....**Hahahaaha, little does he know, that it's also there when he's not a wee~one any more and is trying to sneak out at
night to go partying...Mwhaaaaaaaaaaa~Hahahahaah*

Anyhow....It's big and beautiful.. it's everything
Trica said it is......
Mine is about to bloom..
If I can get my husband to help me download the pictures I have now in the camera, I'll get a couple of pictures of it to show you what it could have the potential of doing if you let it go.

They are aggressive once they get ahold foot hold.
But if you let them know who's boss.. they're a great additive..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum