The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Wild roses

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Wild Rose Bush| Next thread: Wildflowers »
Back to Thread index
by Tonya on May 16, 2006 03:50 AM
I found what I believe was several "wild" rose bushes at my back porch. [dunno] I dug up a few and transplanted them. Since then they have wilted and do not seem to be fully recovering (at least some branches). [tears] Should I wait to move the rest of them? I don't want to kill them, but want them moved because of some work being done out back.

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Sir Ts Princess on May 16, 2006 04:13 AM
Hmm. It seems as though they are in shock. You could move them, and then trim off the branches that don't recover. In the mean time, make sure that you lightly water them once a day for about a week to help the roots establish in their new homes. As for the ones you haven't moved yet, try digging them up a few inches away from the plant so as to not damage any roots...which could end up killing the plants. You could also water them once with a type of "all purpose" fertilizer to sort of "boost" them in their new homes. The one I have always used on mine is simple. I get a large jar with a tight fitting lid. In it I add 1 cup brewed coffee, one can beer, 1 cup cola (not diet), about a 1/2 cup of liqud dish detergent. Pour about 1/2 cup of this "mixture" into a gallon sized watering can, you can add about a tsp. of ammonia if you wish, but you don't have to. Finish filling the jug with water. And water your roses with this. I do this once a month from Spring-fall when they are not in bloom, and once every two weeks when my roses are in bloom. Basically, you should be able to treat your wild roses much the same as cultivated ones. Just remember that they like well drained soil, if they get too wet and stay too wet, you will end up with root rot...which is fatal to the plant. I hope this helps and much luck with your plants.

Ali

-
by Stuspot on May 23, 2006 05:35 AM
If I understand you correctly, you use this mixture on all roses? Is that right?

I am excited to try it, as I have several new roses I just planted and I want to give them a post-planting boost. They are not wild roses, but rather a shrub, a coupld of climbers and a tea.

Would this work for them as well? Thanks!
by Sir Ts Princess on May 23, 2006 06:20 AM
Mine aren't wild roses either. I did have one once, but the tornado took it away. Yes, I use this mixture on ALL my roses (and other flowering plants). The ammonia will only add acid, and you can omit that for the roses as they aren't real "acid lovers" but some will help with green growth, and I use it occasionally when they are sprouting new growth.

It should. If you are short a few items, just use diluted beer (1/2 can beer to 1 gallon of water) your roses will thank you...abundantly!! Or mine did.

-
by Patty S on May 23, 2006 06:26 AM
Ali, where ever did you get that recipe? It sounds interesting, & I'm wondering what the benefits are, of the odd combination of ingredients. [dunno] Do you use this on all your garden beds, or just on your roses?

I was at my daughter's house yesterday & took this picture of her beautiful white Roses!
 -

She has such a green thumb & I've learned so much about gardening from her! [Smile] She'll be interested in this recipe, too, I'm sure.

Do you have pictures of your roses that you can share with us, Ali?  -

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 23, 2006 06:34 AM
Hmm, let me think. I've had this recipe since about 2001. If I'm not mistaken, I got it off of a gardening show on PBS. I use it on my flowers in general. I couldn't afford seperate food for seperate plants, so...this one evolved into an "all purpose". To find other "do it your self" fertilizers, check this site (its mine) http://lady_sensual.tripod.com/id1.html
And for more information about roses, go here http://lady_sensual.tripod.com/id7.html
And for the "neat info" go here http://lady_sensual.tripod.com/id8.html

Had you asked me to share pics of my roses about a week ago, I could have shown you. But...Friday my FIL mowed both of them down with a lawn mower. They are now in intensive care (huge container...fertile soil, and a whole lot of TLC). That's what happens due to my MIL thinking that "beds" are "unnecessary"!! [Razz]
Enjoy!!

-
by Patty S on May 23, 2006 07:47 AM
quote:
Friday my FIL mowed both of them down with a lawn mower. They are now in intensive care (huge container...fertile soil, and a whole lot of TLC). That's what happens due to my MIL thinking that "beds" are "unnecessary"!!
SHEEZE!  - I don't really want to say anything against anyone in your family, but I really wonder, What the heck is wrong with some people?! Don't your inlaws like gardens, or is it simply that they don't understand that Webster defines a "garden" as "a plot of ground where herbs, fruits, flowers, or vegetables are cultivated" ...& that's where a person would normally put ornamental plants?

I'm really sorry your roses got mowed down, & I'll bet you were fuming! (Did you say anything to them about it?) You should have taken a picture last week, darnit!

Thanks for the links to Ali's Gardening On A Small Budget! It looks like you've put in quite a lot of work there... I haven't looked through all the sections yet, but I didn't see any photos on the ones I did visit! (Maybe you need to add another chapter & preserve your flowers there, where they'll be safe from mowers!) [grin]

-
 -
by Sir Ts Princess on May 23, 2006 07:54 AM
That is true. I didn't get a scanner or digital camara until this year. So, you can bet that there will be pictures of my gardens appearing on that site within the near future! Since as I clean, clear, etc. this yard I'm moving "desired" plants to "appropriate" places which includes BEDS!! [grin] I think the problem is that my MIL learned her gardening skills from her mother, who didn't create "gardens" she created JUNGLES (complete with vines, weeds, etc.) But anyways. Between working on the houseplants, the yard, etc. I'm tired! And it is soooooooo hot today!! I just know that my MIL is going to be upset about the spanish Bayounettes, but well...they are sun lovers, not shade lovers...WHY are they under the cedar tree???? I'm digging them up and planning on finding them a better suited home.

BTW, I LOVE those white roses, what is their name? I plan on buying new plants this year as I can (this yard needs a LOT of help) and both my MIL and myself like roses. Do they climb or are they just tall? Very beautiful in either case.

-
by Patty S on May 23, 2006 09:04 AM
Ali, I don't know what a Spanish Bayounette is... I'll have to Google it. It sounds like you & your MIL have some pretty different ideas about how to garden, but I do hope that she'll appreciate what you're doing, when she sees the results! (I assume that you live there with them, & that's probably why your FIL was so comfortable mowing everything!) Since your MIL likes roses too, was she upset with his mowing them down?

I have no idea what the name of LaRelle's white rose is, & I doubt that she knows either, but I'll ask her. Her roses aren't climbers, & that bush is about 5 1/2 feet tall & must have at least 20 blossoms on it right now! (She forgot to prune earlier this year, but she should still thin out the center of it.)

She seems to be generating toward plants that produce white flowers, & I just posted a pic of her White Siberian Iris, if you want to take a look at it. (I didn't want to post the pic of it here, because I'd like to see this thread stay on the subject of Roses & not get hijacked to other types of flowers.)

She pretty much just plants & cares for & enjoys her gardens, without bothering with too much of the details, while I, on the other hand, am always in search of names & botanical information for the things that are coming up in my yard. (I'd never paid attention to flowers before, as I come from a colder climate where flowers never lasted very long, so I didn't bother with them. Now that I'm in a region with a long growing season, I'm going bonkers over flowers & just can't get enough!)

I have 4 pink Floribunda Rose bushes, 2 red climbers & 2 other large ones that I don't know the names of... (they put out big flowers that are just gorgeous.) My pinks & my red climbers are in bloom now, but the other 2 are taking their time this year, I guess because they got a pretty serious pruning in February. When They bloom I'll get pics posted here, to see if I can find out their names.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Wild Rose Bush| Next thread: Wildflowers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: