The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Barberry cuttings

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Barberry| Next thread: bare root »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on June 02, 2005 11:05 PM
I think 4 of the cutting may have "taken"/rooted? All the others have curled up and died but these four seem to be staying in good color and the leaves aren't showing any signs of curling up or wilting or anything. Proud "Plant Momma" here lol. I found out that the smaller cuttings did the best of all of them which was interesting. Also the ones with out any branches on them not even little starting branches. I think more would have lived but I missed the part about no direct sunlight the first half dozen times I read the directions.
by BFVISION on June 04, 2005 07:00 PM
I think 4 of the cutting may have "taken"/rooted?
...Hi Tkhooper,
Can you explain the process you used? I love barberry and have several but they can be pricey to purchase. I would love to hear how you did it.

Thanks

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by tkhooper on June 04, 2005 07:22 PM
Well this is what I did.

I went out very early in the morning and cut branches off at a 45 degree angle using very sharp clean clippers. I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and then rinsed them well before I used them. Then I dipped the cut stems in root hormone and put them in clean wet potting soil without fertilizer in it. Then I put a plastic tent over them.

They need to be out of direct light. I didn't realize that at first and lost a lot of the cuttings I tried. The ones that worked best were lateral smaller cuttings about 6 inches long. Take the bottom two inches of leaves off and put that part in the soil. Mist it everyday and make sure the soil stays moist. I used 8 inch pots for mine.

This is suppose to be done in the fall so that it is more successful and I plan to try again then.

I have the burgandy colored ones and I think they make great foliage for cut flower arrangements.

From what I understand you would actually be better off dividing the existing plant. That is if you don't mind playing pin cushion lol.

I approached the landlords barberry about being divided; but, I'm quite sure the plant growled at me.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Barberry| Next thread: bare root »
Back to Thread index