The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

adding crystals to soil

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by buzylady on August 07, 2006 03:38 AM
I see a mention of adding crystals to soil for holding water. I tried that last yr. The crystals worked their way to the top. So all I had was globs of jell laying on top of the soil. Has anyone had better luck with these? Maybe I didn't put them deep enough?

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by tkhooper on August 07, 2006 07:50 AM
Hi buzylady,

I use the waterkeep and your right if I use to many they all end up on top. Which looks pretty weird. But when I just use a little bit like I'm suppose to I don't even notice I'm there until I transplant and find that the roots of my plants usually go right through one of the chrystals. It's like the plants very own water jug lol. I'm finding it's very helpful with the seeds that I start in egg cartons. So the carton doesn't steal all the water. I place just a few of the chrystals in the bottom of each hollow and then fill with dirt. Then add the seed and the water and I'm good to go. Of course I have to allow for the increase all that held water makes in the hollows or the soil ends up all over everywhere. I've done that too.

-
 -
by cinta on August 07, 2006 05:22 PM
I use the baby diaper crystals which I found to be cheaper for me because "Big Lots" sells the diapers 24 for 1.99.

I soak them for 1 hr and remove the crystal and remove about 2" of soil around the plants and put the soil back on top. Never had a problem.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by buzylady on August 08, 2006 07:08 AM
cinta- I never thought of using diapers. You tear apart the diaper and the crytals are inside? Neat. I'll have to try that. So the trick is not to use soo much? OK, I'll try again.
Didn't think I'd be buying diaperss again. My baby is 15. Granddaughter is 5,with my daughter that's 26 and no hope of another soon.
(from that daughter and BETTER NOT from the other)

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by netwiz on August 08, 2006 09:52 AM
What a great tip Cinta! I will be making a trip to Big Lots tonight, thanks!

Joanne
by ND farm girl on August 08, 2006 01:07 PM
Funny! I have accidentally washed a pull-up in the washing machine before and what a mess those jelly things make! I never thought I'd be using those!

PattyM
by tkhooper on August 09, 2006 12:32 AM
The waterkeep I bought holds 400 times its weight in water and the chrystals are almost like powder they are so small. One bag of them has lasted me all of this growing season and I have plenty left for all of next growing season as well and I believe it cost me 20.00 bucks. And of course it comes with the directions of how much to use for the different sizes of chrystals. I bought it on-line.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: