The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Added pics regarding compost and garden to 1/4ac topic

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Across the Sound| Next thread: adding crystals to soil »
Back to Thread index
by woodchuck on May 27, 2006 09:22 AM
Here's the link to the pics, www.msnusers.com/woodchuckers , click on PICTURES on the left menu and it's the ones marked garden/compost, click on the pic to make it larger. Pic #004 is after sifting. The pile shown represents a scraping of the noxious weeds and 2" of the soil in the area and piled high, it's been sitting for 3years now. The question would be: will this suffice as ammendment for the garden for now and add actual compost-as defined on this site so often-as it develops?
by tkhooper on May 27, 2006 09:32 AM
It looks like you have one heaping wheelbarrow full of sifted compost there. That is really cool.

Actually sifting is usually done if you are going to use it as potting soil or something along that line.

But it certainly won't hurt one little bit. As far as if that is enough it depends on the size of your garden and what you are going to plant in it.

Most common herbs really don't need any compost added to their soil while squash likes a whole bunch added to their soil. And my tomatoes go absolutely nuts when they get compost added to theirs. They try very hard to imitate the bean stock in that old fairy tale lol.

And again when to add and how much depends on the plant. I know that when the tomatoes start to bud they like an infusion of compost but I really can't tell you the specifics for any of the other plants I grow.

-
 -
by Longy on May 27, 2006 05:58 PM
I'd suggest that volume is good for about 1/4 of the total area. Or maybe less. You could use it over the whole area, but the full benefits are in using bulk volumes. More is better with compost and 1/4 acre is a big area.
That sure is good lookin compost though.

-
The secret is the soil.
by woodchuck on May 28, 2006 01:04 AM
My math isn't the best but 90'x90'x2" = 50cubic yards, about 5 good dumptruck loads. It won't all get done this year as some of the area is occupied by plants but there is enough in that pile to do about 1/4 of the overall area.

Longy you have an eagle eye.

Sifting is to get out the unwanted debris, there was an old cow/hay barn adjoining that area that burned down so there's lots of nails, spikes, thick glass; debris from the previous owners who took all the trim, bedding, furniture out of the house and burned it so there is metal springs and all kinds of stuff, plus getting any of the undigested matter out for the next pile.
by elkwc36 on May 28, 2006 01:47 AM
Woodchuck very beautiful place and great layout for a garden. Should work very well. Best of luck.
by LandOfOz on May 28, 2006 08:19 AM
I am so jealous. You're backyard is beautiful and your garden is absolutely lovely. I'm green with envy. [Roll Eyes]

Sarah

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Across the Sound| Next thread: adding crystals to soil »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: