The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Orange colored substance in flowerbed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Orange Color Gardenia| Next thread: Orange Daylilies »
Back to Thread index
by Mark S on May 11, 2006 10:08 AM
In my flowerbed, there is a orange colored substance on top of the mulch. About two weeks, I started smelling this stink in my flowerbed which seem to be coming from this orange colored fungus growing and now it is spreading throughout my flowerbed with what looks like little spores possibly. Could someone help me with this problem?
by Longy on May 11, 2006 12:27 PM
It won't do any harm, just looks (and smells) a bit unsightly. It's just breaking down organic matter in your mulch. It'll run its course and disappear once the mulch ages a bit more.. If you can't handle the stuff and want it gone, lightly go thru the mulch with a hoe or 3 prong cultivator and aerate it a little.

-
The secret is the soil.
by The Plant Doc on May 11, 2006 01:55 PM
What you have is a slime mold. They are one of the most interesting fungi out there! There are a few different types of these. The molds live in colony and can actually move in search of food. Not that you would ever see them as I think moving a millimeter a day would be quite a journey for them.
Longy is right there is no chemical means of getting rid of it. Like she says the best thing to do is just to remove it or turn your mulch over.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Orange Color Gardenia| Next thread: Orange Daylilies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: