The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rhododendron Didn't bloom this year...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Rhododendron care| Next thread: rhododendrons »
Back to Thread index
by Mikizinaniisii on June 22, 2004 01:01 AM
I planted a Rhododedron about 4 years ago, and it did really well for the first three years. Last fall it looked pretty bad, come this spring it looked horrid and dead. I moved it, though I knew I should have done it in fall. To my surprise it has revived, and is doing really really well, except it didn't bloom this year. This is the best this plant has ever looked as far as the greenery. Any idea's if there is anything I can do to encourage it to go into a blooming stage?

Miki
by weezie13 on June 22, 2004 02:47 AM
Miki,
I believe your plant is just busy rooting it's self!
If it had a mouth it would probably say,
"Hey, give me a break here, I'm busy puttin'
down some really great roots in the really nice
spot you moved me, so I forgot to bloom!"

Plus you said,
quote:
Last fall it looked pretty bad, come this spring it looked horrid and dead. I moved it, though I knew I should have done it in fall.
So, what ever was makin' it sad looking, didn't allow it to make flowers then...
Rhodes' make their flowers when they are done blooming.
so, it was probably tired and you helped it get better, I bet you'll have some next year....

When did it start to look bad?

Where did you have it?
And type of soil?

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by obywan59 on June 22, 2004 06:43 AM
I agree with Weezie, your rhododendron is in recovery mode right now, but if you want to encourage bud formation, fertilize with a low nitrogen, high phosphorus and potassium fertilizer. Peaceful Valley Farm Supply has a liquid fertilizer I really like called Omega 1-5-5.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Mikizinaniisii on June 22, 2004 02:47 PM
It started looking really bad right after it dropped all its blooms last year. (Ok I dead headed them when they were dropping) The green seems like it was drying and wilting. It didn't start looking dead until fall / winter, and then boom right after I moved it the new growth pods popped up every where, new growth came out, old growth all fell off and the tree/bush grew a good foot to foot and a half. It really looks so great I don't even mind it didn't bloom. Never looked so lovely!

Miki
by weezie13 on June 22, 2004 03:13 PM
Miki,
When we buy plants from the places we get them,
they usually have been treated extra well and pampered, so they will have a store of energy in them for a few years to come, even if we put them in places that aren't conducive to them,
So, if a few years they do start to look a bit sad.
So, maybe where you had it, wasn't the exact growing conditions it liked...
Also, take into factor the season's....
Maybe where you had it, was too wet, or as it grew too sunny or I'm not sure....but it was saying, I'm not happy!
So, it sounds like it's ok....Especially with the new growth....And that new growth next year even my be sparse because it's still getting it's roots going....

Keep us posted, [thumb] we love [Cool] updates. [critic]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rhododendron care| Next thread: rhododendrons »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: