The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My new flowerbed and pond(Photo Heavy)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 3 2
by Dixie Angel on May 10, 2006 06:14 AM
Your pond is looking good, Laura! [thumb]

I wish my puddle was a little bigger, too. I find a great sense of peace out there when I am out feeding the fish...

Dianna

-
 -
by loz on May 10, 2006 06:23 AM
Yeh Dianna mines just a puddle too! I love it though....I was just outside leveling one of the edges, and I filled it up a lot more! [thumb]

Triss---here is what I found but it's not that cheap...but worth it to not mess with electric! That scares me! I might start saving up for one!

solar waterfall kit
by Triss on May 10, 2006 06:47 AM
That is pretty cool Loz!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by dodge on May 12, 2006 01:02 PM
loz

You got the spirit there with the bed..

That makes life easier when you remove the top soil.

Good luck.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by loz on May 12, 2006 02:48 PM
Thanks Dodge...my 16 year old nephew did most of the digging for the actual flowerbed....He was a huge help to me!! I went out there to dig and could barely get the shovel to break the ground at first. The ground was so dry from lack of rain.
by loz on May 14, 2006 08:58 AM
They're fishing for my fishies!!!!

Just got them today, aren't they cute!

-

-
by Triss on May 14, 2006 09:02 AM
Oh Loz, those are so adorable! Great addition to the pond!

-
 -
by loz on May 14, 2006 09:13 AM
I thought so too! [grin]

BTW, if it looks a little low on water it's because I bailed some water out because it's supposed to rain everyday and I don't want it overflowing... [Razz]
by Jiffymouse on May 14, 2006 12:55 PM
over flowing wont hurt it you know! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by Starla in GA on May 14, 2006 01:12 PM
Ooooh I love the fishing kids! I'm glad to see a picture of them for size comparison... I've been thining about ordering them too but wasnt sure of the size. Too cute!!

Things are really coming together nicely!

~*~Starla~*~
 -

Pictures of: My back yard "garden" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107756626&idx=0
Pictures of :My back yard "visitors" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253
My water garden in progress http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106370269
by Starla in GA on May 14, 2006 01:22 PM
ahh pooh , the fishing kids are backordered now [Frown]

~*~Starla~*~
 -

Pictures of: My back yard "garden" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107756626&idx=0
Pictures of :My back yard "visitors" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253
My water garden in progress http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106370269
by loz on May 14, 2006 01:51 PM
Oh starla, I hate when things are backordered...I ordered 2 of those flashlights you shake, and they are backordered until June!!! [Eek!]

Jiffy [wavey] , I know it won't hurt! [thumb] Mark said I was crazy for bailing it out a bit, but I didn't want the water flowing down through the yard....we're supposed to get a ton of rain this week! [Razz]
by Starla in GA on May 14, 2006 02:13 PM
Loz , now after seeing your pics. my dd is asking daddy if he will buy her and mommy both a tire swing statue for our garden. Woohoo thins could be a good thing hehehe.

Cant wait to see more pictures!!

I am working on redoing my pond now too and will try to get some pictures posted soon.

~*~Starla~*~
 -

by loz on May 14, 2006 05:11 PM
quote:
my dd is asking daddy if he will buy her and mommy both a tire swing statue for our garden. Woohoo thins could be a good thing hehehe.

Way cool Starla! [muggs] [thumb]

I can't wait to see your pictures, I'll be looking for them!
by loz on June 14, 2006 02:31 PM
Guess who is getting a 20 by 20 foot pond liner????? [grin] [thumb] Mark's working on it for me....He's so looking forward to making it bigger.....And I'm excited that HE actually wants to make it bigger!
by loz on June 14, 2006 03:01 PM
His brother is bringing the rubber up here. He got it free for us from work. I'll be so excited when it's in the hole and we can fill it up! [thumb]
by Jiffymouse on June 14, 2006 03:09 PM
YOU are a lucky woman laura! [thumb] [Wink]
by Jiffymouse on June 18, 2006 12:08 AM
i've been thinking about your pond laura, and i'm thinking, if you put the larger pond just below and off to the side of the one you have now, you know, kinda at the corner of where the sidewalk is, you could use the small one as the top level and then have the waterfall into the large one. does that make sense?
by loz on June 18, 2006 04:58 AM
That does make sense Jiffy, but I think Mark just wants one bigger pond---we need to change the small one really because I wasn't thinking and have it pushed up right to the concrete path.......so I can't hose it down without all of the junk going straight into the pond. Wasn't thinking about that when I had Mark dig it out. [Roll Eyes]
by loz on June 18, 2006 09:57 AM
Here's an updated pic....I planted Red Hot Pokers and Zinnias around the back edge....and everything in the flowerbeds is really coming along nicely. The fish are happy, and the plants in the pond are happy too! When we expand it I think we're going to keep the length of the pond as the new width and expand down into the yard away from the concrete path. I can't wait for fall so we can get it done!

Right now it's close to 5 by 3.....and about 2 feet deep.

-
by Merme on June 18, 2006 10:16 AM
Oh loz, I am speechless. I love your pond.

You know, as a thought, you COULD keep the first pond as Jiffy suggested and make a waterfall to the second bigger one. The remedy to washing stuff off the concrete into the first pond, which I am sure you hate doing (!) would be to build the little rock wall against the concrete higher. Make sense?

I am certain whatever you guys do will be splendid though 'coz look at how quickly you got this first small one going so beautifully!

I'm cheering for ya, loz. This is way too cool.

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by SpringFever on June 18, 2006 10:44 AM
Very Nice Loz!!
I can see where the walk would be a problem! rain and such... And you want to see the pond...On the bigger one I would back fill a bit .. Put 2 collums of rock with the liner in between.. then the runoff will go elsewhere so you will be able to keep it cleaner!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by afgreyparrot on June 18, 2006 01:58 PM
Loz...your pond is so pretty!
...and you have so many nice plants in it and around it!

quote:
The fish are happy, and the plants in the pond are happy too!
There ya go! A pond! [grin] [thumb]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by loz on June 18, 2006 02:12 PM
Thanks guys, I just took that today with my dads new digital camera I bought him. I had the umbrella palms and water hyacinths, then Donna sent me some plants...THANKS Donna! [muggs] I'm going to try to overwinter them I guess in a big tub.....

Here's another shot....
 -

I have an obsession with garden statues and stuff.....

Did you guys see the snake on the rock in the other picture? Not this one, the one above...... [Big Grin]
by plants 'n pots on June 18, 2006 02:16 PM
loz - it is all looking sooooooo good! [clappy]
And we can just tell how very happy you are putting it all together!
I did see the snake - noticed it right away - COOL! [thumb]

I was telling Don that we are going to have to expand and make our pond deeper sometime soon. The bathtub was a good starter, but I'm ready for more action, ya know?

Don't think it will happen anytime soon, but one can always hope, right?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by loz on June 18, 2006 02:23 PM
Thanks Lynne.

I bought that snake at the dollar tree....picked it up and Mark said, what the heck do you want that for...I said for the rock at the pond....then he was all excited to buy it....and was carrying it around the store whipping me with it........ [shocked] [Big Grin]

I love your bathtub pond Lynne, but I know what you mean.....We didn't realize how much we liked having a pond when we dug that one out. I'm ready for more action too! [thumb]

My sister keeps telling me it's too green, I said ummmm, it's supposed to be green on the sides.....that's the good algae....People who don't have ponds think it should be totally clear....
by Jiffymouse on June 18, 2006 04:04 PM
[thumb] i like it, and merme's idea of building up the rock wall so it will "protect" your pond from run off from the walkway!
by loz on August 01, 2006 03:07 PM
You can't see the pond, but I just wanted to throw this pic of the flowerbed it's in in here.

It's amazing how lush and filled in it all is!

-
by Jiffymouse on August 03, 2006 02:26 PM
ok, i'm officially jealous! looks good [thumb]
by Dixie Angel on August 03, 2006 02:38 PM
That is so pretty, Laura! I am a little green with envy myself!

Dianna

-
 -
by loz on August 04, 2006 02:25 AM
Why thanks you guys! [kissies] [wavey]
by loz on August 04, 2006 02:39 AM
What a nice treat this morning to see my hyacinth blooming!

-
by penny in ontario on August 04, 2006 03:29 AM
Thats so pretty Laura....very dainty looking.

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on August 04, 2006 03:43 AM
That is pretty...
I love flowers, of bright colors
next to lime green...
It sets both of the colors off soooooooo vibrantly! [flower] [flower] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by loz on August 04, 2006 05:01 AM
It was quite a surprise this morning, I didn't even know it was getting ready to flower!! [flower]

I wonder how long it will last? Does anyone know? I hope it's a while.
by Jiffymouse on August 04, 2006 01:17 PM
mine usually last about a day and a half, or so, but if you have one blooming, you will have a bunch of blooms for at least a week. i know i have, even the ones i "tossed" into the rubbermaid bin to get them out of my way!
by loz on August 04, 2006 01:32 PM
You are corrrectamundo!!! I checked the others out and they are sending up buds for flowers! [clappy]

I wish they lasted much longer though!
by TulsaRose on August 04, 2006 11:38 PM
Well, Laura, after viewing all your gorgeous pix, I'm waiting for sunrise so I can go out and throw rocks at my pitiful, burned up beds. lol!

Thanks for sharing...I sure enjoyed seeing all your pretties. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by loz on August 05, 2006 04:47 AM
Thank you Rosie, this small pond has been a new thing for me....but we are making it much bigger in the fall! [thumb] I can't wait! [clappy]
by loz on August 13, 2006 06:19 AM
New pictures!

-

-

My view from the back porch.
 -
by kennyso on August 13, 2006 09:21 AM
that's my goal for the small bed in front of our house. wonder when I'll stop procrastinating?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by loz on August 13, 2006 09:37 AM
[Big Grin] Now is a good time to start to stop procrastinating. [perplexed] [Big Grin] [thumb]
by weezie13 on August 13, 2006 10:18 AM
Looks veryyyyyyy nice Laura!!!
I love it...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by loz on August 13, 2006 12:29 PM
Thanks Weezie! [wavey] It's really my favorite part of the entire garden....I love it so much! [thumb]
by dodge on August 13, 2006 01:42 PM
loz

Lovely...........yard and flowers.. And pond...Your looking like a zinnia lover also.

Good work...after 21,000 posts, you must be a pro.
;o)

I admire your work and brain.

dodge [clappy] [flower] [clappy]

-
 -
by dodge on August 13, 2006 01:45 PM
Kenny

Just make a circle and take off the sod and fill it with good soil and plant away.

Presto .Instant bed..Hey.. Its almost time to plant the bulbs for lovelys for 2007 spring.

Tulips and Lilys.........

Hints hints hints.

;o)
dodge [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Triss on August 13, 2006 01:49 PM
Ya know Loz, that space looks so perfect, you should just add another whole pond rather than enlarge the one you have. A lil walkway between the two, and it will get rid of more grass! [thumb]

-
 -
by loz on August 13, 2006 02:05 PM
I thought about that...the only thing stopping me from doing that is the pond now isn't that deep, around 20 inches. It needs to be at least 3 feet in the middle for the weather around here, so it does need to be redone this fall. BUT, I'll have it looking even better next year! [grin]

Oh and thanks Barb! [wavey]
by Triss on August 13, 2006 02:19 PM
Well bigger and better is good!

-
 -
by loz on August 13, 2006 02:24 PM
I think one cool thing will be the sunken solar ship I bought....I'm gonna stack some pavers or something in the pond so it's in the middle of the pond shipwrecked. [thumb] And with proper filtration and stuff I might get 2 Koi fish maybe. [grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: