The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My new flowerbed and pond(Photo Heavy)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 3 2
by loz on April 25, 2006 02:36 PM
My 16 year old nephew helped me today....it tooks us 3 hours of digging...with a milkshake break, and a few other breaks here and there....I'm so glad it's done!!!!!!

Just gotta get rid of all of that grass! [Big Grin]

Think of the endless planting possiblities I now have...all the room!!!!!!!!!

The border stuff is temporary until Mark gets the wood for it! [thumb]
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 25, 2006 04:09 PM
Wow, Loz! That is nice!

I could use that grass you dug out to fill in a big spot in my yard (where I dug all my roses up a few years ago when I moved).
You think you could fit all that in one of those flat-rate boxes and send it to me? [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on April 26, 2006 02:13 AM
lol @ cindy you are such a kick I love you.

Loz that is a fantastic looking lawn btw. That is a great new bed. What all do you plan to put in it?

-
 -
by loz on April 26, 2006 03:28 AM
Cindy! [Big Grin] Too bad you didn't live nearby you could have it all! [Big Grin]

Tammy I have 32 glads to plant in there, 12 liatris bulbs, 10 asiatic lilies, and a burning bush that I want to transplant over to that spot.

I'd also like to throw some sunflowers in there because I started way too many! [Big Grin]

Mark just mowed the lawn on Sunday so the gazillion dandelions that were there are all gone! For now anyway! [Big Grin]

Here's some pictures from the first year we moved in...taken with my old cheapo digital camera.......just so you can see more of the positioning of the flowerbed--it's right at the bottom of the stairs there. That upper back porch is my fav. spot to sit because it's elevated.....I could sit out there all day! And the spruce tree you see in the one shot is history...that's where we put in the birdhouse and flowerbed underneath.....

-

-
by Triss on April 26, 2006 07:43 AM
Loz, That looks awesome! All of the things you have planned for that area are going to make it so bright and cheerful!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by loz on April 26, 2006 10:04 AM
Thanks Triss....I threw all kinds of things in there today temporarily.....until they get a little bigger. Then I'll move 'em out of there and put them somewhere else....

I did move my little burning bush in there too! I couldn't stand seeing it so empty.

And I got a lot of bulbs planted today in there too! [thumb]
by Triss on April 28, 2006 05:47 AM
We need more pics ya know to see how it is coming along!

-
 -
by loz on April 28, 2006 01:34 PM
I'll have more pictures soon--I promise.....first I want to amend the soil a little, and add some mulch!!!

You know, make it pretty!!! [Big Grin]
by Triss on April 28, 2006 02:47 PM
Nawwwww, we need step by steps! Have to see it becoming.

-
 -
by loz on May 01, 2006 05:08 AM
I'll go out and take a picture today! [Smile]

But it doesn't look too great yet!
by Triss on May 01, 2006 05:14 AM
That is ok Loz, it is a masterpiece in progress!

-
 -
by loz on May 01, 2006 05:32 AM
[muggs] [thumb] That's one way of thinking about it! [thumb] [Big Grin]

Well, I have some mulch.....Mark went to Walmart and I told him to pick me up a few big bags of Scotts garden soil....so hopefully he'll remember!!!! Fingers crossed.
by Triss on May 01, 2006 07:03 AM
Hope so too!

-
 -
by loz on May 01, 2006 07:59 AM
Okay, he remembered and bought me 4 bags of soil.....so I just added it, and mulched half of it.....half of the bed has bulbs in it, the other half is going to be my pond....although we have to dig out a bit more to make it bigger! [thumb]
by Triss on May 01, 2006 11:22 AM
Oh how fun! That is going to look so nice once it is all done!

-
 -
by loz on May 01, 2006 01:42 PM
Okay, here it is from this afternoon....with topsoil, manure, and mulch on the one half. Don't mind all of the junk in there, it just looked so empty. See the little green thing in the left corner...that's my baby burning bush!

-

Mark doing his job---I was the foreman--can you believe he was telling me here that I didn't pay him enough! [Big Grin]

-

Here's the sort of finished product....we still need to get rocks for around the edges....but I got my solar fountain in there, and the solar light Jiffy brought for me! [thumb]

-
by loz on May 01, 2006 01:50 PM
Another view....sorry if you have dial up! [Embarrassed]

-
by afgreyparrot on May 01, 2006 02:15 PM
KEWL! [grin]
Nice job! [thumb]

Are you putting fishies in it?

-
 -
 -
by loz on May 01, 2006 02:23 PM
I did a good job huh? [lala] [Big Grin] I'm quite the foreman! [Big Grin]

I think I'll put a few little fish in there....mainly for Athena to come and watch. She's so excited about the pond. Knowing her if I'm not watching, she'll be in it trying to catch them! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Aren't you supposed to wait a week or two to put fish in it?????? [dunno]

I might pull a Jiffy...instead of buying rocks I might go around looking for some! [grin]
by SpringFever on May 01, 2006 02:49 PM
The solar light helps keep away fish nappers.. I know my boy broke mine and the fish were gone!!
you don't have to wait if you buy the water conditioner.
I look for rocks all the time its a more natural appearance.. [thumb] good luck!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Triss on May 01, 2006 06:33 PM
WOW Loz, I am so impressed with how fast you got that together. Looks amazing!

-
 -
by loz on May 01, 2006 11:42 PM
Yesterday evening was get 'er done time! [Big Grin] [thumb]

I can't wait to get some little fishies for it! [grin]

And to get the rocks for around it to naturalize it....and to plant flowers around it! [thumb]
by gardenmom32210 on May 02, 2006 12:46 AM
Looking GREAT,Loz!

It's gonna be so pretty once the flowers start growing [thumb]
by Karrie on May 03, 2006 03:10 PM
That is looking great! Hubby deserves a pat on the back for all that work! I cant decide if I want a pond in this place or not. I loved mine but I was constantly fishing toys and rocks and kids out of mine. May just wait till they get a lil older and we got a huge pond on teh end of the acreage. Its an eye sore though

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by loz on May 04, 2006 01:43 AM
Thank you! [thumb] I just added some water plants to it yesterday....some water hyacinths and something else that wasn't labeled and I forgot to ask what it was! [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Now we just need the rocks and the fish!

I'll take some more pictures soon!
by Karrie on May 04, 2006 02:09 AM
I cant wait to see that filled in. Your makeing me want a pond again!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH [Big Grin] He's gonna kill me!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by loz on May 04, 2006 02:15 AM
Awww, what the heck....go for it! Have yourself another pond! [thumb]

When I first told Mark I wanted a pond he gave me one of THOSE looks! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] But then he realized I wasn't kidding. [Wink]
by Wrennie on May 04, 2006 02:43 AM
Water hyacinths spread like CrAzY! My friend put them in her pond, they filled the whole thing, and then some in 1 warm month! [Smile] BUT she said she did nothing to her water, no chemicals, and with those plants it was crystal clear all summer. A neighborhood frog even moved in. [clappy]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by loz on May 04, 2006 02:50 AM
I was reading in my pond book that water hyacinths are often used in sewers because they are so good at filtering.....

I told mom that if they keep spreading that she'd have to have Dad make her a pond!LOL
by obywan59 on May 04, 2006 03:12 AM
My mom gets Birds and Blooms magazine, and she once read in there to put a water hyacinth in your bird bath to keep it clear.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by loz on May 04, 2006 03:13 AM
That's a neat idea Terry! [thumb] I love Birds and Blooms, it's my favorite magazine! [thumb]
by loz on May 04, 2006 04:44 AM
 -

Well there it is with the pump working and everything....it's still VERY unfinished!!! As you can all see....Some of the flowers I bought yesterday got thrown in that bed for now just because it looked so empty....I'm actually waiting on some plants to come in from Michigan Bulb--then I'll probably move most of them out of there.

The far end has a lot of bulbs in it, that's why it looks so empty.....
by Starla in GA on May 04, 2006 06:23 AM
Great job! Very pretty, and YAY I love the boy and girl on the tire swing... I saw that @ walmart the other day and was thinking of going back to get it.

~*~Starla~*~
 -

Pictures of: My back yard "garden" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107756626&idx=0
Pictures of :My back yard "visitors" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253
My water garden in progress http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106370269
by Triss on May 04, 2006 06:38 AM
Loz, That looks so nice! You and Mark have done such a quick job of it too. I am amazed each time I see it at how quickly it is coming together!

-
 -
by loz on May 05, 2006 03:35 AM
Once I start a project Triss I want it finished yesterday! [Big Grin] I can't stand not having the rocks around it yet....actually I did score one big rock up at my sisters yesterday for one of the corners....If Mark doesn't have to work overtime tomorrow we're going to go riding around for rocks! I think I have the perfect place to find some free ones... [thumb]

Starla, isn't that cute? That was one of the presents Mark bought me for Xmas! [grin]

Shoot I was going to copy and past this pic, but it wouldn't let me.....So here's the link to what I bought yesterday for the pond. The nursery I went to the other day to get the water plants had a boy just like that, maybe a tad bigger for $30!!!! [shocked] When I found these I was so excited!!!!
fishing pair
by Triss on May 05, 2006 05:57 AM
I just LOVE that one Loz. So cute! I want one!!! But I have NO pond! Well I will live through you! [thumb]

-
 -
by Starla in GA on May 05, 2006 01:08 PM
Where did you get the big tea cup planters? Too cute!

~*~Starla~*~
 -

Pictures of: My back yard "garden" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107756626&idx=0
Pictures of :My back yard "visitors" http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2107551253
My water garden in progress http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2106370269
by loz on May 05, 2006 02:42 PM
I bought it at a store at our outlets called Welcome Homes....Kirklands had them last year but they aren't on the website anymore. I paid 9.99 for the 2 big ones I have.

If you look at the pic on the top of pg 2 you'll see a smaller one...I got that for $5 at Family Dollar, so if you have one locally they might have some of the small ones. [thumb]

They won't stay near the pond, they're just there right now temporarily!
by loz on May 07, 2006 05:36 AM
Okay, remember I need more rocks---and I still need to fine tune the ones I have...get them in them pushed up a bit and more in the right spots..... [thumb] The fish have barely moved out from under the plants!

-

-

-
by Triss on May 07, 2006 05:41 AM
Looks really good Loz!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on May 07, 2006 06:34 AM
Looking very nice, loz!
My fish hid for a long time too - don't worry.
Also... they tend to like it under the plants, where the sun doesn't beat down on them - I read in many places, that you should have at least 3/4 of the pond shaded for them.

What is the round thingy floating off to the left in the second picture?

I was able to buy some colored glass balls at Christmas Tree Shops over the past few years - they were hanging in jute, like you would find in ocean shops, only a fraction of the price. I cut them out of the jute and floated them in the pond last summer - added a nice touch of color there.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by weezie13 on May 07, 2006 07:06 AM
That is veryyyyyyyyy cute Laura!!!
I love it...

I love collecting rocks at creeks, do you have any in your area????
*I have some around my cherry tree, such fond memories of when my oldest and I would go down to the creek and play in the water and bring home rocks..*

and they are nice and smooth, water worn...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by loz on May 07, 2006 11:05 AM
Thank you! [thumb]

quote:
What is the round thingy floating off to the left in the second picture?

It's a solar light that Jiffy got for me!!! It's amber at night just like all of my solar lights!

Yep, we have a lot of creeks around here....Actually we might take a ride up around the dam next weekend to get some more.....There are lots of rocks around here and I feel like JIffy all of a sudden. She doesn't have rocks in Georgia so when she's here she looking for them, now I'm looking for them. [Big Grin]

The water hyacinths in the pond are supposed to really spread--actually they're invasive but that's okay.....so the fishies will have more hiding room eventually....They're so tiny right now!! But I saw all of them but one of the white ones a bit ago. I think I had 2 white, 2 gold, and 2 black mystery snails....I'm not kidding that was the name of them at walmart...mystery snails...so is that their name or do they just not know their name! [Big Grin]
by loz on May 09, 2006 10:00 AM
I've created a monster [Big Grin] ....no, not me! But Mark...he loves the pond but he's not happy with the size--he wishes it was 3 times bigger!!!

So we've talked about emptying it in the fall and digging a bigger pond.... [lala] [grin] [thumb]

Actually we thought about digging another smaller pond near it and connecting them with a runnel. That's what my pond book calls a connecting passageway.

I can't wait for fall! [Wink]
by afgreyparrot on May 09, 2006 10:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by loz:
I've created a monster [Big Grin] ....no, not me! But Mark...he loves the pond but he's not happy with the size--he wishes it was 3 times bigger!!!

LOZ! [shocked] You are so blessed! [grin]
It would be so nice to have someone to share the joy of a pond with.
It would have to make it 100 times better.
You are so lucky!
This kiss is for Mark! [kissies]

-
 -
 -
by Triss on May 09, 2006 10:40 AM
Hmmm, I am taking bets that you are going to have a much bigger pond long before fall! Better start looking for more rocks now.

-
 -
by loz on May 09, 2006 11:44 AM
He likes to go out and watch the fish!!! [Big Grin] When we made it we both really wanted it bigger but he had that size rubber and I was impatient.....I didn't think he wanted it three times bigger though! [grin]

I think I'd better start some serious rock collecting! [Big Grin] [thumb] [Big Grin]

I gave him a kiss for you Cindy! [Wink]
by Triss on May 09, 2006 04:49 PM
When you go bigger, do you think you will get a cool waterfall in the deal too?

-
 -
by loz on May 10, 2006 03:15 AM
Hmmmm, not sure Triss but it would be cool and I did just find a solar waterfall kit. [thumb]

I wouldn't want to get into messing with electricity..... [scaredy]
by Triss on May 10, 2006 05:59 AM
Me either. Where did you find a solar waterfall kit? I'd love something easy like that to make a water feature for my MIL.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: