The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

so much for the sweet smell of magnolias

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by taylo on May 06, 2006 02:05 AM
I planted my tree five years ago and is now a good size, healthy leaves BUT not the first bloom. What could be going on. Not the first I have planted and have never had one do this. Any ideas?

-
by RugbyHukr on May 06, 2006 10:22 AM
fertilize with a phosphorus rich fertilizer

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by twwright on May 21, 2006 11:53 PM
Wait!!!! I had a similar problem and was told that it may be because I had fertilized too much! I laid off the fertilizer, watered the heck out of it and guess what happened? It bloomed! Think back, how often have you fertilized it lately and has anyone else possibly fertilized behind you? Double dipping of the fertilizer is not good. Sometimes we mistakenly think the other hasn't done it yet and we duplicate watering and/or fertilizing. If this is not the problem then check closely for bugs. After that, the soil is the problem. Either deficient in nutrients or ph. I hate checking soil ph and nutrients but in this case I think you'd be much better off doing it before applying anything. If you can get hold of a product called "Soil Soup" or "Soil Syrup" then get it and try that. It is a combination of Compost Tea, Earthworm Castings, Horticultural Molasses and Aeration, that seems to work wonders. Good luck, hope that helps. At least it will give you something to do.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: