The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Fish Is Dead!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by afgreyparrot on December 24, 2005 10:12 AM
I just went out to check on my fishies.
I could see one under the ice...so I got a rock and broke the ice up to get to it. I thought it might just be unconcious or something...I don't know much about these little fishies...so I brought it inside and put it in a bowl of filtered water...in case it isn't dead it will be in water.
But, it's dead. It hasn't moved.

Now I'm freaking out because I don't know why it died...and if the other ones are going to die, too. And I have no idea what I did wrong to make it die...like if the water isn't right, or something.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Triss on December 24, 2005 10:58 AM
Cindy, Sorry you lost the fish. I don't know much about ponds at all but are they supposed to be able to survive the cold???

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Dixie Angel on December 24, 2005 11:05 AM
Cindy, are you sure they are dead? Do you think they might just be hibernating? I have read to quit feeding them after the temperature drops below 55* because their metabolism slows down. I went out to check on mine today because the temperature got up to 60. Mine are still okay. Moving slowly, but still alive...

They might start moving as they "thaw"...

Dianna

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on December 24, 2005 12:18 PM
quote:
Cindy, are you sure they are dead?
It's just one...and I put it in a bowl of water in the house.
It's dead. [tears]
The others are at the bottom still alive.
I hope whatever happened to this one doesn't happen to the rest.

-
 -
 -
by Triss on December 24, 2005 01:01 PM
Hopefully it was a fluke thing Cindy and the rest are all ok.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by loz on December 24, 2005 06:59 PM
Yeh, hopefully it was just the little fishies time to go....and not the cold.

I cried when my betta fish died.... [tears] Some people think I'm too sensitive, can you believe that? [Razz]
by njoynit on December 27, 2005 05:23 AM
I'm not for sure....but I think they can take water temps to 20.I'd have to read on it later.I was out in yard....and lost my beer.I only came in looking to see if left it here.I didn't even know was still online...but while i was here....was checking if my mom home....and checking this page now that its loaded.Its actually kinda hot out in TX today.Its 75 and I've got shorts on,Its really too hot to rake.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by afgreyparrot on December 27, 2005 06:20 AM
quote:
Its 75 and I've got shorts on,Its really too hot to rake.

[Eek!] I'm so jealous! [Eek!]

I don't think it was the cold that killed it, because all the rest of them are still alive. The ice on top was pretty thick...about an inch...but I bought a floating heater thingy for the pond for the next time it gets cold enough to freeze. Maybe me and Freckles scared the poor thing to death when we went skinny dipping the other night. [Roll Eyes]

Did you find your beer? [Big Grin] [muggs]

-
 -
 -
by 4Ruddy on December 27, 2005 01:35 PM
Cindy...that isn't an electric heater thing is it...? I am kinda worried about you and the heater...electricity and WATER...that can't be good!!!

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by afgreyparrot on December 28, 2005 12:12 AM
quote:
Cindy...that isn't an electric heater thing is it...?
Sure is! [grin]
I was told by the people at the store that it was safe.
...but I guess I'll end up being the judge of that probably!
I could screw up a.....nevermind! [lala] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by 4Ruddy on December 28, 2005 01:31 AM
[shocked] YEP..now I am REALLY scared!!!! [scaredy]

~V~

-
 -

by 4Ruddy on December 28, 2005 01:32 AM
There is something about pond, electricity and your name all used in the same sentence that sends me in to a panic attack!!! [Big Grin]

~V~

-
 -

by GiraffeMSW on December 29, 2005 07:20 AM
Sounds like a fluke...or perhaps just a weaker fish that was being culled in a natural way.

My uncle up in Wisconsin always floats a soccer ball in his pond so there is always a hole he can open up if needbe. But, as long as the water doesn't freeze solid, the fish should manage ok at the very bottom...just gotta make sure they can get air if they were to need it.

The higher the point of view, the broader the horizon...said the giraffe.
by eclo on April 22, 2006 12:20 AM
I know it has been awhile since the original post but just wanted to share my frozenpond experience. As you can see in the picture, my pond froze about six inches thick. I kept the fountain running all winter but when the ice got so tall, the water started running over the edge of the pond. It drained my pond down to about 3 inches in the bottom, which then froze. I could see my goldfish under this ice and they appeared to be frozen solid. I added fresh water right out the garden hose and about three hours later I went back out and lo and behold, all of them were swimming around again! As for leaving a hole in the ice, it is more for release of toxic gases such as ammonia and nitrogen than it is for oxygen.
 -

See Ya in the Garden!
by SpringFever on April 22, 2006 12:28 AM
I woke up this morning and all mine were gone [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] I think it was a bird of some kind..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by eclo on April 22, 2006 01:31 AM
What a bummer! So sorry to hear of your loss [Frown]
I lost several to racoons last year and have had a couple take a flying leap of faith right over the edge! I find them dried up with leaves and dirt stuck all to em! [Frown] But on the bright side, they make good fertilizer [Smile]

See Ya in the Garden!
by SpringFever on April 22, 2006 01:57 AM
I was totally bummed out it was the only 3 I had..

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on April 23, 2006 07:52 AM
I'm sorry to read of your loss.
by SpringFever on April 23, 2006 03:43 PM
It's Ok I am gonna buy gold fish next time though! And some bullfrogs! maybe another turtle!

-
 -
by dodge on April 24, 2006 05:33 AM
That is sad, all the fishy facts.

ALL I know is, Mine died in 2 days.. Inside..;o)
I am a fish killer.......

Someone said they cover theirs with branches outside in the winter????//

dodge [critic]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by gardeningmomma on April 24, 2006 07:11 AM
Turtles would be cool [Smile]
by dodge on April 24, 2006 08:00 AM
WELL......

I QUIT ON FISH .....I HAVE 2 DAMS IN THE COW PASTURE......LOTS OF FROGS, GUESS THAT IS ALL I NEED.

MY SISTER DID ALL THAT , AND HAS A HUGE TANK INDOORS.........FISH ,TURTLES, A FOOT LONG.

HA HA ..I AM A KILLER, SHE IS A LOVER.

HA HA;O)

DODGE [clappy] [grin] [grin]

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 08:17 AM
LOL that is funny.. Kinda
I really love frogs and turtles.. I keep a lot of fish too but that dang whatever that got them really fried my buiscuts ! [Mad] [Mad]
i will probably get some comets next time..

-
 -
by dodge on April 24, 2006 09:00 AM
COMETS?????????
DOES THAT MEAN YOUR OUT OF THIS WORLD/
[muggs]

HERES TO YA.....
[angel] WE ANGELS IN PARADISE..

[shocked]
DODGE

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 09:45 AM
Oh yeah!! now that would be some galactic fish!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
They are large gold fish.. Cheaper than koi..
Thanks for the send off of my little buddies Sparkle dennis and seaclops! [muggs] [angel]

-
 -
by dodge on April 24, 2006 10:03 AM
[clappy] [clappy] [clappy]

wERE GOOD FOR SOMETHING.

DODGE

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 24, 2006 10:55 AM
good for a lot of things!! [kissies]

-
 -
by eclo on April 25, 2006 08:11 AM
SpringFeaver... if yer talking about the long finned bubble type goldfish... I wouldnt suggest them for the outdoor pond. They swim MUCH slower than the more streamlined fish and just make easier prey for the fish and racoons!

See Ya in the Garden!
by dodge on April 25, 2006 08:32 AM
eclo.,
[wavey]

I recommend tadpoles....Mine come and go winter snow.....All are slow.....
Hadda get that off my mind..... [Confused] [Confused]
We have neighbors duck take over our ponds and they do a good job of killin .. [Mad]

Guess i have to ask sis what is best..

dodge [sleepy]

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 25, 2006 11:38 AM
no they are kinda like koi Just bug bright colored Red goldfish they get big... Same as Afgrayparrot's [wavey]

-
 -
by dodge on April 25, 2006 12:06 PM
SpringFeaver,
The kids are crying.

[flower] [flower] [flower]
Just kidding.........I am not up on fish at all. I am going to see if i can find my sis photos of fish for you to see.

dodge.......

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 25, 2006 04:13 PM
I already ran LOL ... now that I am soaked haha the kids are asleep... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] been rainin alot the last few days ... thank goodness...

-
 -
by dodge on April 26, 2006 12:31 AM
Spring f

Here too mudd.........But my lawn is so high I might mow in the mud.

;o)

cheers
dodge

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 03:18 AM
I love the warm rain in summer.. but dang it was only 38 outside it is down right cold!! My grass hasn't really started to grow yet..

-
 -
by langford on April 26, 2006 05:31 AM
Good Morning, well it's not good because it's cold..so it's just morning. guess it's not really morning either..ok..now that that episode is over, it's freezing here today and it's starting to irritate me because i already planted some flowers in pots..and so i had to bring these gigantic pots in last night..err...i thought it was suppose to stay warm dang it..I guess they are getting snow just north of me..that would really stink..just thought i would say hi to you all..enjoy your day (if it's warm by you) if not..i'm sorry..
by dodge on April 26, 2006 06:55 AM
LANGFORd,

No snow here thank heavens....I am east of you......
pennsylvania..It is 60 here and sun off an on.. has rained for 3 days.. We needed it bad....I had plants all over the porch last evening and HD brought them all into the basement .. Now it is to get 30 on thursday ??????Dont like it either......Nuff of the white stuff. Hoping this is the end of frost......Might get one in may.....
Write anytime.. i enjoy the states.. Been thru yours many times on the way out West.

dodge,

-
 -
by langford on April 26, 2006 07:37 AM
DODGE,
Well i'm not to sure anyone enjoys indiana..except my husband..which is where he originally is from..i on the other hand moved from illinois, and i don't particularly like any states that have a winter...i've been through pennsylvania once, on my way to boston..hubby went to pennsylvania to go hunting..and i detested that as i do not like people killing poor innocent animals..that could be the main reason i'm a vegetarian..ugh poor little critters..anyhow..pennsylvania was pretty...again though winter months..i really like jamaica, thinking i'll move there..!! But to get hubby to do that, will never happen..hehe..It's suppose to warm back up here soon, but of course, yet again..the weekend is suppose to be crappy..seems funny how that happens..ya know? Well hope you enjoy your cold weather that we are sending your way...i sure didn't
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 07:48 AM
Its almost 70 here today!! I am thrilled just to get a little sun!!
Dug out a new garden spot for my asparagus.. and now just kickin back for a few..

-
 -
by langford on April 26, 2006 08:09 AM
Wow springfeaver..that is sweet..thanks for sharing...that you are having a beautiful day and we are FREEZING...i wish i could be at home sometimes..when i'm finished with school and working at home (yeah i know, i'm a bit old for school) but then i can work the afternoon outside..and work all night inside..right? that will be nice..whenever i get finished (feel like it's been real long as it is)..anyhow..glad someone has some nice weather...
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 08:31 AM
It is suppose to cool off a Lot.. it is far and few for us tooo you should be falling into some good weather right quick.. If I was looking at the right area on the weather map [nutz]

-
 -
by langford on April 26, 2006 08:54 AM
I surely hope so, but from what i see..it will be a crappy weekend..just wonderful..i had planned on spending the weekend outside..we had gotten our children a pool for easter..(mind you i'm a little upset about it, as it will take up almost my whole back yard..but then they will quit bothering us to take them to the beach down the dang road everyday..ya know? anyhow..they wanted us to put up this pool this weekend? ummmmmm hello kids..it's a little FREAKIN COLD..
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 10:12 AM
LMAO that is funny!! Big pool huh .. I got a little 8' circle one so its not that bad.. rule of thumb here is memorial weekend.. don't forget the clorine and test strips or it will turn green!!

-
 -
by langford on April 26, 2006 10:19 AM
Thank god we remembered that stuff when we bought the pool..cause if we didn't they wouldn't be getting the pool. i have just spent over 3 grand in redoing my basement so far..that doesn't include some of the stuff we have left to buy for the rooms..then this new water garden i want to put in..i think is going to cost me..the pool is 15 ft.x 4 ft..so yeah it's a little big..i mean it's not no HUGE thing..to bad...i'm sure it won't be big enough that the fighting will suddenly stop and they will decide that they really do love each other (hahahaha) i make them kiss and hold hands when they fight...it's really quite funny..i get out the video camera to make sure they are reminded of these events later in life..and i'm going to put those pictures in the paper when it's there 16th birthday..to let the whole town know that they really do get along with one another..anyhow.i was thinking memorial day weekend as well..now just out of curiousty ( i get this weekend an extra day off for memorial day)..when is memorial day weekend? Now springfeaver..do you have a pond..or strictly just gardening for you? (i might have already asked you this) please ignore the ignorance if i have..i've done nothing all day at work..and my mind is now asleep...
by SpringFever on April 26, 2006 11:39 AM
Click on my photo bucket you will see I have a pond.. [Embarrassed] somethin ate my koi the other day so I hava a pond with no fish!
Memorial day is may 29th.. you could do it earlier just to give the pool time to warm Keep the cover on! you'll see the water stays cold forever!
Love the video thing!! thats cute...

-
 -
by eclo on April 26, 2006 12:36 PM
HOLY SMOKES..................... You all just had the same conversation I had with myself the other day........ How uncanny! [tongue] ROFL.... Thnx fer that [Smile] Hey I posted some new pics on the water garden forum... Spent allll day Saturday diggin [nutz] and couldn't hardly move Sunday mornin'...

See Ya in The Garden! [lala]

See Ya in the Garden!
by dodge on April 26, 2006 12:44 PM
Hee hee

ISNT THAT WHAT THE GARDEN IS FOR? FUN AND EXERCISE...;O)

[clappy] [clappy] [clappy] [angel] [angel]
AREN'T WE ALL CALLED
GARDEN ANGELS?

[Love] DODGE????????

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 02:19 AM
Ok if something eats my fish, i'm going to ban all other animals from coming over to visit..i mean that is just sad...i spent alot of time picking these fish out..ya know? i have 3 goldfish (these 3 i just bought..i have 2 in the house from last year that i brought in for the winter..and i didn't want to put them back outside..they like it inside..anyhow..so then i bought 2 butterfly koi ( with the expectations of this new pond)..and then i took husband to the utopia watergardens to get some plants..well he wasn't interested in that..he was interested in these huge fish..so we now have a new goldfish that is the size of a small mouth bass..and a koi that has just about reached it's potential growth...but i'm not kidding i'll ban other animals if they aren't going to be nice to my fishies..i'm going to figure out how to post pictures..i think i have some from last year...of my preformed pond..can't wait for the new one though..
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 02:23 AM
Sucks... you may need to plant some cover plants.. Lots of hiding places..
Use photobucket.com it is so easy!
you got a bunch of fish huh

-
 -
by SpringFever on April 27, 2006 02:24 AM
I think it was a blue harring sp I have no clue dislexic see can't even spell that LOL

-
 -
by langford on April 27, 2006 02:28 AM
i don't even know what it is..so your one step ahead of me..i'll try that..do i need to create an album or something...well right now in my preformed pond (waiting the excape to my bigger pond) i have 4 goldfish and 3 koi..in a 100 gallon pond...yeah i know..but i couldn't resist..they'll be out of there soon enough..i'm looking for some of these plants..i have to figure out what will work for me though..i don't know much about these plant things..(not for water anyhow)

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: