The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Immature Common Grackle

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Thornius on July 05, 2006 08:36 AM
This is a first for me. I have an Immature Common Grackle coming to my feeder. I have seen hundreds of Grackles just never one that has recently left the nest. It is the same size and appearance as the adults and even makes the same noises but the feathers are light gray instead of the irridescent black of the adult.

BABY GRACK
 -

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by Jiffymouse on July 05, 2006 12:41 PM
cool [thumb]
by tkhooper on July 07, 2006 12:51 AM
Oh he's so cute. He still looks fluffy. They are adorable at that age aren't they.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on July 07, 2006 04:24 AM
That's a great picture...he looks as if he doesn't know quite what to do...take a drink or a bath. [Big Grin] Regardless of their unsavory reputation, I think Grackles are really pretty birds and enjoy having them in my yard. It's always funny to see Mama feeding "babies" that are as big as she is.

Rosie

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Thornius on July 07, 2006 07:43 AM
Grackles are one of my wife's and my favorite birds. I am always delighted to have them at my feeders and have never considered them pests (now STARLINGS on the other hand!!! [Big Grin] )

My wife is not really a birder but enjoys looking at the birds. Her favorite ar any birds that are colored black. She LOVES Crows, Grackles, Red-Winged Blackbirds, etc., etc. Her favorite bird of all is the American Goldfinch.

I like ALL birds with a particular fondness for Warblers and Vireos, ANY Woodpecker ANYWHERE, Bluebirds (and blue birds), and Northern Mockingbirds.

-
 -
by Thornius on July 07, 2006 07:44 AM
Oh, and Rosie you live in the same town as my favorite author, C. J. Cherryh, a fantasy and sci-fi writer.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on July 07, 2006 08:10 AM
I've never read any of Caroline's books as I'm not into Sci-Fi type reading material but she is a well known "celeb" about town. Have you ever visited her website? Even it is kinda Far Out. C.J.'s website

As for favorite birds, my list gets longer every year. [Big Grin] All time favorite has to be Gold Finch closely followed up by Chickadees and too many more to list. I'm really partial to the little guys. I grow tons of Coneflowers just for the enjoyment of watching the Gold Finch feed on the seeds in later summer, early fall. I had two males checking out the flowerheads this morning so it won't be long before the show begins. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: