The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

35 cent crocus bulbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by kennyso on August 19, 2006 03:01 PM
I just visited the CNE (canadian national exhibition) today and saw crocus bulbs going for just 35 cents and daffidales for 75 cents a bulb...I just bought two daffidales to try forcing inside...but my REAL question is should I get the crocuses (I might or might not go back next week or so). They weren't saffron crocuses, problem is I forgot the name, but I know it's purple (like that helps a lot!) and I think it said it was fall flowering. So could someone tell me these are worth buying (saffron crocus bulbs at the same booth sold $10 for 8) and hopefull tell me the name?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by TulsaRose on August 19, 2006 11:49 PM
You should be able to find Crocus bulbs much cheaper than that...I don't know about the Saffron but I have the lavender Pickwick and paid about $10US for 50 bulbs several years ago. Seeing their pretty faces peek out of the snow in late winter\early spring, gives me hope again. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by kennyso on August 20, 2006 02:19 AM
That is cheap, good thing I didn't buy any...even coverting to $CDN it is still cheaper. TulsaRose, do you remember where you got those bulbs from? I'm tempted to buy them cuz crocuses sell really expensive here in Canada, even at Walmart! So far, that place's the cheapest I've seen in all my years. We're moving really soon, the house is on sale, so I'm trying to stock up on bulbs to plant at the new house so I woun't have to look at a bare front yard in spring!

-
 -

My Website My Blog
by TulsaRose on August 22, 2006 12:04 AM
Kenny, I'm pretty sure I bought those years ago at WalMart and they just keep multiplying like crazy. I think they were in bags of 25 bulbs for $5 each. Maybe you would have better luck trying one of the online catalogs. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Lakshmi on September 25, 2006 03:41 AM
Costco has a bunch of assorted bulbs from Holland for $11.36. I bought Crocus bulbs (80)and Tulips (50). They also have Irises, Anemones, Daffodils, Water Lilies and Gladioli.
by kennyso on September 25, 2006 04:50 AM
Thanks Lakshmi, I went to cosco a few weeks ago and they had tulips out. I'm going to se if I can find the later lilies, thanks!

-
 -

My Website My Blog

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: