The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

more ?'s about building a compost bin

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by pagarden on March 27, 2006 10:41 PM
so i am going to build a wood frame and then staple chicken wire to the inside. 1 side of the frame will have a hinge so i can open it when it's done and shovel it out easier. is a 3x3 size ok? chicken wire come in 24, 36, and 48 inch height. 48 is way to tall for me to handle- i'm only 5 ft tall! LOL i was thinking 36 inches tall so i can add a bit more than only 24 inches tall. but is 3 ft by 3 ft a big enough size? or should i go 3 ft by 4 ft? i am wondering if anyone has a problem finding more brown matter in summer? mowing the grass every weekend will produce more than enough green matter as well as kitchen scraps. but what about brown? is shredded cardboard good? i won't have a ton of leaves till fall. shredded newspaper? i'll have to bug hubby to run it over with the lawnmower when he is mowing. will that be ok? and i take a trip to a farm every week to get milk, eggs and meat SOOO i am wondering if they will let me take some chicken poop! wouldn't that be awesome! LOL not sure where i could find bales of hay in the summer either. in the fall they sell them for decorations.
by Longy on March 28, 2006 01:55 AM
3' x 3' x 36" high is a good size.
Shredded cardboard is OK, but not in huge quantities. Best if it is wet already too. Same for newspaper. You can let some of the grass clippings dry and then they are brown. Maybe mow without a catcher and rake it up after a day of drying.
I bet the farm cleans out the horse stables from time to time and they have a great big pile of manure and straw just waiting for someone like you to take some away.
Here's a bit of a list i found for brown stuff.
Buckwheat hulls
Coffee filters
Corn cobs
Cotton/wool/silk scraps
Grass clippings (dried)
Hay
Leaves (dead)
Paper
Peat moss
Pine needles*
Sawdust *
Straw
Tea bags
Wood chips
Wood ash *
Go easy on the ones i marked *

-
The secret is the soil.
by pagarden on March 28, 2006 03:48 AM
thanks. so i could let my hubby dump the bag from the mower on the driveway and let them dry and it should be ok huh? and the farm has no horses- just cows & chickens.
by Longy on March 28, 2006 12:52 PM
just cows
+++++++++++
Cow manure dried out would be fine for a brown, as well as the grass clippings dried out. Put a layer of green grass, one of cow manure, smashed up preferably, a thin cover of chicken manure and moisten the lot. Repeat till the bin is full. Put the kitchen waste and anything else you have anywhere in there. Make the layers about 6" thick and you're done.
To smash dried cow manure, put it in a tough bag, like a fertiliser bag and drive over it repeatedly, or beat it with a stout piece of wood, like a baseball bat. (Don't let the neighbours see this. If their cat goes missing they'll think it was you.)

-
The secret is the soil.
by patches1414 on March 28, 2006 03:15 PM
Hey Longy, coffee filters are okay? [dunno] What about the coffee grounds? I'm been putting them in my compost bin. I thought that those would be okay too. [dunno]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by johnCT on March 28, 2006 08:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by patches1414:
Hey Longy, coffee filters are okay? [dunno] What about the coffee grounds?
Absolutely! [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by pagarden on March 28, 2006 09:11 PM
i started a kitchen "pile" already- it's in the freezer till i get my bin built hopefully this weekend or the next. i just feel so guilty throwing the stuff in the trash now! LOL
by johnCT on March 28, 2006 10:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pagarden:
i just feel so guilty throwing the stuff in the trash now! LOL
Welcome to the club! [Big Grin]

Next thing you know, you'll be picking stuff out of the trash and yelling at the person who put it there. [thumb] [nutz]

John - Zone 6
by pagarden on March 29, 2006 02:21 AM
haha- i actually laughed out loud! i already warned my hubby! i 've always saved eggs shells- i crush them and store them and put some ground up shells in the holes when i plant my peppers and tomatoes, then when they are growing if i have a big pile i sprinkle them around. anyhow- i picked the eggs shells out the other day and said "you know i don't throw these away" and he says "oh i forgot" [perplexed] i warned him"just wait till i get my pile going- i won't throw anything away!" he just rolled his eyes! [Big Grin]
by patches1414 on March 29, 2006 05:06 PM
Okay, I just wasn't sure! Thanks! [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by DanielNewman007 on March 30, 2006 10:29 PM
LOL. I've just started composting, and I'm the same as you guys. I have a small container on the side of the sink, that collects my kitchen waste. And although my wife is "on board" she does forget sometimes, so I'm always picking tea bags, banana skins, and stuff out of the bin [Wink]

Still, with all the recycling we do (we have a BIG bin for plastics and metals and paper), we only throw away about one bag of rubbish a week. And not a garbage bag, just a small back from the grocers!
by pagarden on March 30, 2006 11:21 PM
hey- i bet the cardboard type egg cartons are good huh? i'm starting to look at my trash in a whole new light! LOL

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: