The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Moonflowers & Morning Glories

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: moonflower| Next thread: more ?'s about building a compost bin »
Back to Thread index
by Erich on April 27, 2006 01:09 PM
I wanted to have a nice vining flower box for my fire escape and thought that moonflowers and morning glories would make a nice alternating flower display. When should I start them? Should I start them inside first? I know I am suppose to soak them for a couple days, but what then? Thanks...
by markr on April 27, 2006 01:20 PM
ive just got my morning glories come through.
i started mine in a heated greenhouse, they do like heat to germ! so your better off starting them indoors.
also i didnt soak them this year and they germinated better than last years, they were soaked!
hope this helps

-
Mark
by johnCT on April 28, 2006 12:56 AM
No experience with moonflowers, but I always make a point to have heavenly blue morning glories in my yard every year. I started mine from seed two weeks ago. Soak them in water overnight then plant them in flats or pots. Put out after frost danger has past. Be prepared though, MGs can get VERY large and take things over.

John - Zone 6
by alankhart on April 28, 2006 05:17 AM
I'm not sure if anyone else has had a problem, but I always have better luck sowing them directly where you want them instead of starting them inside. Mine never did transplant well. They reseed like crazy and I now have them coming up EVERYWHERE so I have to thin them out every so often.

-
 -
 -
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 11:39 AM
I did a test on these seeds this year... the ones I started in the soil never came up (both by the way MG and MF) The ones I soaked over night (btw I did 4 seeds each ) only one came up.. Then I forgot some in the Warm water for 3 days they sprouted in the water I put them in the soil and all came up! [thumb] I know how I am gonna do it next year!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Michael15r on April 28, 2006 12:27 PM
Hello, I already started my glories. They are getting bigger now. I never grew them before..first time.. I was wondering why the leaves are getting pumpy like they have that rose disease.

Well the one that has it is at the top of the photo  -

-

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 02:43 PM
they look good to me same as mine... keep up the work..!actuall look better than mine [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Michael15r on April 28, 2006 03:28 PM
Thanks Springfeaver!... My first time too!.. I'm soon going to have to plant them in my garden. I'm going to allow them to go up on my Flag poll..

See here is a better shot of this "disease"
Please help!...
 -

-

It looks ugly...

A Sunflower Garden #7
Check out my website.
by SpringFever on April 28, 2006 03:45 PM
Look great Michael... Mine got wind burn [shocked]
I don't know why the leaves crinkle up like that but mine do the same [dunno] I am so impatient...
I left them out for a whole week and stuck em in the ground today... I am certain death to seedlings! [scaredy] [scaredy] [shocked] [nutz] [lala]

-
 -
by Erich on April 29, 2006 06:16 AM
Thank you to all...I will start them today.
by taylo on May 04, 2006 12:22 AM
Thanks for the tips....have tried to grow moonflowers for years with no luck. Should I still try to prick the seeds before soaking?

-
by owlette on May 18, 2006 02:52 PM
Here is my moonflower vine. I started the seeds in peat pots.
 -
It really took off and now blooms like crazy! I love it!
owlette

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: moonflower| Next thread: more ?'s about building a compost bin »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: