The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to make a compost bin III

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: How to Kill a Tree| Next thread: How to make a compost bin III »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by tkhooper on November 22, 2005 01:54 AM
To answer the best I can hoa today I got 2 1/2 bags of green lawn clippings from my landlord. It's the last mowing of the season so I took the largest bag over to the compost pile and spread it over the top of the entire thing. The I got the pitch fork and broke the pile up and then piled it back up so the new green is mixed in with everything else. And I did my best to get the pile 3 feet by 3 feet so that the center will get good and hot and quicken the decomposing. It still is getting warmish here during the day so there is a chance I can give it a good start on next year if I continue to turn it until it freezes I think. But I am a beginner and Weezie knows lots and lots more than I do.

-
 -
by hoa on November 22, 2005 10:03 AM
So today I moved one of the bin under the lilac. I still have one bin left to move. In the new bin I put a lot of long wood sticks sticking out everywhere. I hope instead of turning the pile (which I will not do anymore bcs the weather will be very cold pretty soon), I will shake the sticks to give them some air. I would apprecitate if you guys have any comments so I can correct any error and can also apply to the second bin.
by weezie13 on November 25, 2005 09:00 PM
Hoa,
Just remember that the lilac bush will eventually
send it's little feeder roots over to there
to get at that nice dirt, and will get up into
the roots if left too long..

I know from experience they love that stuff...

I accidently put a elderberry bush next to one
too, wowwwwww, did it get a big root over to
that bin....

**And Tammy, for a beginner composter, you sure
are doing an awesome job...keeping up with it,
and making as much compost as you do...

*and if I know more than you, it's only cause my mommy and daddy composted for like all of my life, I was the offical compost dumper *kitchen scraps* my whole life up on the hill.. so, I've been around it for a wee~bit of time....
I've been in love with that black gold an entire life time it seems... I wanted to play in it
when I was little, much to my parents dismay!!!!
And when I would walk out into the woods, and see mother nature doing a humongous job of it...
I'd steal it for my little flower garden I had
when I was a teen...
Can never get enough of that compost...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by hoa on November 26, 2005 03:37 PM
It has been cold and there are a lot of snow those last 3 days. So I cannot do anything much. I guest I will move everything next year.
Now I will try to do a small batch in the garage, in a 35 gallons garbage can with used coffee, tea, leak and paper? If it will be too smelly even with a good ratio I will put them outside then. Still wandering if it would be OK in a huge carton. I would not consider a bigger garbage can because the delivery for a 45 gallons garbage can cost too much...
by weezie13 on November 26, 2005 08:19 PM
quote:
Still wandering if it would be OK in a huge carton.
[dunno]
What do you mean by a huge carton??
Put the garbage can inside the huge carton,
or put the actual compost into the huge carton?

And what is the huge carton made of?

quote:
Now I will try to do a small batch in the garage, in a 35 gallons garbage can with used coffee, tea, leak and paper?
I have never tried it in the garage, so I would be very interested in your outcome..
My main interest would still be if it froze... [dunno]

Here, I believe mine still would,
so, I don't do it..
Especially if one rodent were to smell that much
food in a can in a garage, frozen or not, it would be there in a heart beat gnawing at it.

Is your can plastic or metal???

quote:
I would not consider a bigger garbage can because the delivery for a 45 gallons garbage can cost too much...
They deliver them???
Are these the one's that like your town or county supplies for recycling????????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by hoa on November 27, 2005 02:50 AM
Hello Weezie,
- A 45 gallons garbage can is too big to fit into my car. So Home Depot offer delivery service with a fee. The whole thing cost too much for me.
- A carton is a box made of thick paper.
- So the rodents like vegetarian food also, Weezie?
by tkhooper on November 27, 2005 09:21 PM
They love grain but will eat anything including your drywall. Ok, maybe they aren't eating your drywall but they will tear it up right along with your insulation and curtains. Mice are very bad to attract to your dwelling and very hard to get rid of.

I think longy did a post on using cardboard cartons he really recommends them so if you have one I would look up that post. I think you will find everything you would want on that one.

-
 -
by hoa on November 28, 2005 12:01 AM
Oh boy! Certainly I don't want some mice in the house. I am glad I asked you. Thank you very much, guys, for the warning.
by weezie13 on November 28, 2005 11:21 AM
We've had them here chew thru
plastic garbage cans to get to
a bag of birdseed.. [Mad] [Frown]

If it's a cold enough winter, and too
deep for getting to the lawn underneath,
they'll love a compost pile...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on November 28, 2005 11:35 AM
For anyone that has advise on container!! I have enough to start a compose but a small back yard I don't want mice EEEEUUUOOOWWWWW! A metal trash can with holes drilled?? on bottom wouldn't that make it hard to 'turn'? I need to get started this week Hubby wants to throw out everything I've been saving trash day is Thursday!!! Dec 1 Help quick !!!!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by weezie13 on November 28, 2005 11:43 AM
Yep, a metal one would work fine....

And don't let the mice talk scare you
Or hubby...
They are everywhere...
and a pile won't attrack them any more or any less, just cause you have one...

but what we're saying is that one shouldn't
start them real close to your house,
because of ALL the factors involved in composting..

One of these days, I have to get to my neighbors house, they have a home made system, where he took a plastic one, and put it up on two posts like and slide a bar thru it and can turn it, like those compost tumblers....
I just haven't trotted over there to take a picture yet...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by hoa on November 28, 2005 12:45 PM
Wooow! Such a good idea.
by tkhooper on November 29, 2005 03:11 AM
Well the compost bin got turned today and a load of leaves got added to the compost pile. That pile has really shrunk. It is amazing how small it has gotten compared to where it started. But not for long evidently one of my landlords neighbors has a bunch of leaves she is getting rid of and I said I'd take all of them lol. Even if it is to much for the grass clippings I have now they will still decompose just slower. My grass clippings are barely getting warm anymore I guess it's just a little to cold but that's ok.

-
 -
by comfrey on November 29, 2005 03:46 AM
I have a ton of stuff acquired to add to my pile, but it has been raining or too windy for me to go out and be able to work with the pile. Sure hope the wind and rain quits soon!!!!

-
 -
by hoa on November 29, 2005 11:05 AM
Here in Montreal, Canada, tonight it's getting warm, but it may rain tomorow. So I will see if I can do anything good between the showers. I really miss the indian summers. I wesh I can have a few more day to work with the compost piles.
by angelblossom on November 29, 2005 11:40 AM
Thanks Weezie! I 'll get a metal trash can tomarrow and drill holes I told hubby you said He can't scare me nor the Mice out of having a compose pile so [tongue] to him and those meesly mice [Big Grin] I'm starting tomarrow [clappy] fortunately we are still mowing (somewhat here in Dallas Area just been windy and just a touch of nip cold in the air fluxuates this time of year between 45 and 80 [nutz] crazy much sickness weather never know what to wear so hopefulley my first compost will be 1st amoung years of having my own black gold!! [Cool] Thanks for this forum I've learned a lot just by reading all questions and answers.. [gabby] [teacher] [thumb]
upon initial layering when should I first "turn" ?

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 30, 2005 12:55 AM
I turn once a week but that's because I'm old and tired. lol

-
 -
by angelblossom on November 30, 2005 10:16 AM
Tk! Old and Tired? You?the official blabbermouth? NAAAAAAAA!! [Frown]
Well then that's what I'll do as well once a week turn,, I'm excited to get started came home from work with trash can in hand, I drilled holes in the bottom and a few 3 inches from bottom around sides put it up on cinder blocks Hubby promised me he'll cut a 'flapdoor on the side length ways and hinge it on so I can lay it on its side it's larger than 55 gallon . actually I believe the hinged door idea is keeping him from coming out and helping me turn it. Oh well what ever works!!!

-
 -
by comfrey on November 30, 2005 11:42 AM
When you get it all finished be sure to show us a picture of it Angelblossom.

-
 -
by weezie13 on November 30, 2005 10:17 PM
Angelblossom,
Please keep us posted [critic] ,
we enjoy reading and [gabby] hearing about your successes, *and more questions*, that's what
makes half of this sooooooooo fun for us.... [clappy] [grin] [thumb] [Cool] [flower]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on December 01, 2005 12:18 AM
I have a couple of those handrakes that I take the top half of the compost out with and then I tip over the can. When it's full I can't tip it over at all lol. You know if your bin is up on centerblocks, you could get a pan and put under it and collect the compost tea that leaks out. That is a great fertilizer from what I've heard. I think it can even be used as a foliar spray? Have to ask Weezie about that sometimes I get mixed up.

It sounds like you have a great set up so far. If your's is metal I'm thinking it is probably silver in color. If you want to you can get some metal spray paint and paint it black. That helps draw more heat to it which is a good thing. Just a thought. It certainly isn't necessary.

I hope your compost brings you as many beautiful plants as it is me.

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 06, 2005 01:44 AM
Check this out..
It's an ad that shows up on the top
for the Google search..

I wish Santa would bring me one..
An indoor composter...

I'm cryin' here... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on December 06, 2005 12:51 PM
Wow Weezie...That would be nice to have and it is on sale right now:
Regular price: $450.00 Sale price: $399.00

Well if we wait they will come out with a cheaper model...Soon I hope.

-
 -
by hoa on December 06, 2005 02:23 PM
Cheese, I wish we can invent one of our own. It must be something like a slow dryer.
For the moment, I have a lot of carbonated papers; are they any good for our regular compost?
by angelblossom on December 07, 2005 07:13 AM
WoW Weezie I don't think Santa would bring me one no matter how good I've been But I sure can get one for my self When Income tax comes back LOLOLOL Seems there could be a way to "Jimmy Rig" one HMMMMMMMM Lets think on this one LOLOL

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 07, 2005 08:37 AM
When I saw it... I was like YEAHHHHHHHHHHH~BABY!!!
Ohhhhhhh, I could use that..
I could use about 4 of them.....
What I wouldn't [grin] do [grin] just [grin] to [grin] get [grin] ONE [Smile] ....

It looks really nice and it looks like
a good concept...

Geeeeeeee, wish I could have them send me
one just to test and give my "Weezie Report" [lala]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by MaryReboakly on December 07, 2005 10:51 AM
WOW! I WANT ONE! SANTA, ARE YOU LISTENING? [Big Grin]

-
 -
by comfrey on December 08, 2005 11:17 AM
Even though it was freezing outside today, I was able to check on my compost pile, of course it is frozen right now, but has shrunk down and looks good. So I'm pleased with my efforts so far!

AngelBlossom Good ideal bout tax refund to buy one, and I agree...no need for me to ask Santa either. I won't be getting a tax refund, but I will be getting $$$$$$$ from family members instead of gifts, I'm hard to buy for LOL

-
 -
by tkhooper on December 09, 2005 07:24 PM
Glad your pile is looking good. Mine has shrunk quite a bit too. I can't wait to dig underneath it in spring and get all that good stuff working. It's going to be so much fun.

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 09, 2005 08:34 PM
THAT IS ALL THE FUN OF IT....

It pays off and you (almost) forget about
all the work you did putting it in and together...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on December 10, 2005 02:37 PM
Well even though it was cold outside, DH was complaining about this pile of stuff I had in the house, I informed him it was for the compost pile, he said well then put it out there, It was shredded paper, cardboard etc, so I thought well ok...So I also had some kitchen scraps that were building up also...I loaded up the wheelbarrow and made a stop by a hay pile to rake up some of the rotted hay that was scattered on the side, and off to the compost pile I went...I couldn't turn the pile but did dig around in it, and added all this new stuff from the wheelbarrow. Pile is rounded up high again. DH ask when I came back in..what have you been doing all this time...I just looked at him and smiled, and said doing what you ask me to do... [Big Grin]

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 11, 2005 01:05 AM
I may never have menmtioned this for winter
composting.. when everything is frozen...

When adding your materials..
add them as you would like lasgna's...
brown first, kitchen scrap's, more brown,
green stuff...

Always layer, you won't be able to turn the
pile once frozen and the new stuff will also
freeze in time... so, the layers will be in
place as they thaw come spring time..
and you won't have to worry so much about all green thawing together and turning into a real
slop...

Comfrey... if your DH isn't a gardener, it's
very hard for them to understand piles of piles...
Mine still does not like it..
but he knows it stretches my dirt $$ come seed time, and he knows I don't have to go buy extra stuff for the garden dirt come planting time...
so, he just kinda grumbles to himself now adays...

He'd love that indoor composter, no more zip lock baggies of veggies sitting in the back room,
but I'd be saving for a long time...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on December 11, 2005 07:47 AM
Well I think even with the indoor composter...We would still have bags and piles of stuff just waiting its turn to get in the composter LOL. I did layer the new stuff after I stirred the old stuff, and I figured adding the rotted hay would help cover up anything that was loose or interesting to a critter.

-
 -
by angelblossom on December 13, 2005 11:10 AM
Today I went out to turn My new Compost pile What a day for me I guess I'm doing something right I opened the door and my glasses fogged up!! Yipeee it heating up!! only been at it a little over a week I added canadian peat moss today and poured my left over coffee over it> Now My Hubby's in on the action and doesn't throw away eggs shell coffee veggie's or the sunday paper!! thanks everyone for all your help more questions later tho' I'm sure!!!! [thumb]

-
 -
by comfrey on December 13, 2005 11:27 AM
Angelblossom...I have found it doesn't take long to train DH's on what not to throw into the trash can, I even went so far as to place a sign on the wall stating the a certain trash can was for compost stuff only...like paper, cardboard etc. I have noticed when other people come over they read the sign and then use the other trash can beside the one marked compost only...they have no clue LOL

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 13, 2005 11:36 AM
quote:
Now My Hubby's in on the action and doesn't throw away eggs shell coffee veggie's or the sunday paper!!
That warms the cockles of me heart, dontchya kin....

You know it's one thing when a gardener starts to compost, but when a non~gardening "other~half" starts to do it too.... that's just music to my ears...

Here's my compost, when I'm starting seeds...
 -

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on December 13, 2005 11:37 AM
Yes I know Comfrey I have a small plastic container in the kitchen that says compost 'scaps' No MILK OR CHEESE PLEASE!!.. My grandsons were over for the weekend after Brkfst sat am My oldest Grnson read the container and just put in his eggs and left over waffles [grin] and soon his little brother followed suite [clappy] glad I started this even my grandsons are asking questions and they're going to "TELL MOM" to save her dinnerscaps and veggies---- Yeah right but at least they're Pulling for Granma!!! [kissies]

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 13, 2005 11:39 AM
Angelblossom,
You'll have "FUTURE GARDENER'S" on your hands
in no time....
They'll remember that and when they can will garden too... once the tiniest little seed is
planted... that's all it takes... [Cool] [thumb] [grin]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on December 13, 2005 11:41 AM
Wow weesie cannot wait 'tell mine looks like that!! Does the bottom develope first and do I take out and put in airtight container as it developes??? or wait untill the entire 'lot' is black gold??

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 13, 2005 11:47 AM
I sift it..that's the end product you see in the wheelbarrow..

But in the compost bins, I leave mine alone and start a new one..and let that one work....

Come Spring time, *or fall, I do both*

I sift it in like April when it's all cold outside.. *I have some put in black bags, or big 68 qt containers.. and I sift outside into my wheelbarrows.. then mix in a tiny bit of seed starting mix...*that stuff is really expensive*
I like to do it when it's spring time, still chilly in the air.. can't do any gardening, usually tooo wet and tooo cold yet, so I sift... getting ready and dreamin' big while I sift..
**It is monotonous and tiring, but I LOVE playing with the end result...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by angelblossom on December 13, 2005 11:57 AM
did you make a sifter or can they be bought I thought about on old bicycle rim(I once made a fishing net outta one LOLOL) maybe I could somehow attach metal mesh to it> maybe hook like a 18 or 16 gauge wire thru mesh and stick the wire thu holes in rim and put a fishing sinker ball on other side or a strong bead of sort to hold in place on outter rim of rim [dunno] Heck I dunno any thing to save a buck!! or two!!!

-
 -
by comfrey on December 13, 2005 01:27 PM
Wow great looking compost Weezie [thumb] Angelblossom..do a site search or look back through this thread...and look at the sifter that Bill made.

-
 -
by angelblossom on December 25, 2005 08:07 AM
My metal trash can is Full! I started another pile thanks to my GR-Kids telling My daughter to save her 'left-overs' and scrapes for me! [thumb]
Now I'm using a corner of my yard for a new pile Hubby Said "No more trash-cans [tears] . But as you all know 'if there's a will there's a way!'
I have a cheapy metal and plastic> dollar general
Greenhouse that has basically fallen apart but I used wire hangers to mend to hold frame together I laid it on it's back side and started leaves,scapes of foods etc in it(the back side of it still has the heavy plastic attached) will the plastic hurt anything? I'm thinking it will help hold the heat in? [dunno] and the front side zipps to close. should I remove the plastic? Thanks for any suggestions,, I have been successfull with the can!! Appreciate all your help!

-
 -
by comfrey on December 25, 2005 12:29 PM
That's great angelblossom!!!

Today it was nice weather and had been warm yesterday, so I talked DH into turning my pile, and even though I started it late, it is breaking down rather nicely.

-
 -
by bodhigaea on December 25, 2005 04:18 PM
hey, its already winter here and my lease ends in june, any point in trying to compost before then. i had a bunch of root-filled planters from harvested plants that i emptied into a heap to compost the roots, if i add scraps to it throughout the winter is there a chance they'll do anythign but freeze by may??

"A root is a flower which disdains fame"
by tkhooper on December 25, 2005 10:15 PM
Considering the cost of moving stuff I'd wait until I got to the new place. But that's just me. You certainly have time for some of it to turn into compost if it dethaws around late march in your area. Or atleast that's what I'm assuming and we all know about that word lol. Good luck with your move.

-
 -
by comfrey on December 26, 2005 10:52 AM
Well Weezie is the expert on this but, my opinion is go ahead and start a pile...June is along way off and you may be pleasantly surprised what you end up with.

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 26, 2005 10:52 PM
Bodhigaea,
Add all your stuff now, it may and will freeze,
but if you layer properly come time when it's spring and stuff thaws, it'll start motivatin' right away... and it will be on it's way to breaking down from it freezing and thawing..

You should get about 2 months *theorically*
to start the composting process.... then and when
you move, just baggie it up in Black/Dark Brown garbage bags, and take it to your new place..
*I might load the bag into a plastic garbage can, to hold the shape of the plastic bag and nothing pokes out thru or leaks... in your move*

And keep us posted on how it turns out for you,
we're all composting addicts here and love to hear of your adventures... [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on December 27, 2005 01:25 AM
It was so warm today...

How warm was it you ask?

It was so warm that I got out there and turned the compost pile. Yeppers I sure did. That must have been my Christmas present from Mother Nature. She let me play in the compost.

-
 -
by comfrey on December 27, 2005 02:04 PM
I added more stuff to my pile today...I have decided that even though my pile is pretty large, I'm just going to keep adding stuff to it for about 2 more months, Then I will have to find a new place to start another pile. I think I am going to try the pallet method (using them to make the sides for a bin)

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: How to Kill a Tree| Next thread: How to make a compost bin III »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: