The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to make a compost bin III

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by tkhooper on December 27, 2005 10:39 PM
Sounds good to me. Hope your project works well for you. I believe the optimum size for a compost pile is 3 X 3 but I don't remember where I read that. So verify the information because my memory is occassionally faulty.

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 29, 2005 12:29 PM
Tammy,
I just wish I could get out and
turn my compost...
You are so very lucky...
*Turn your compost an extra few times
for me will ya!!!*
Mine are frozen solid... [tears] [tears] [tears] [tears] [tears]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by comfrey on January 06, 2006 09:39 AM
My pile is not frozen either we have had very mild weather so far, my pile was frozen for a few weeks, but that was almost a month ago. I have managed to get mine turned a few times, I have been really sick, but I have tons of new stuff to add to the pile as soon as I feel up to loading it all in the wheelbarrow and adding it.

-
 -
by comfrey on January 22, 2006 11:14 AM
I added 4 heaping wheelbarrow loads of stuff from my chicken pen....chicken manure, straw & feathers today to my compost pile...It is really big, so have decided that I will start a new pile this coming week, better watch out Weezie [Big Grin] I may catch up with you... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Razz]

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 22, 2006 11:23 AM
hehehehe....
Have fun tryin'... [Wink]
(2 plastic, 3 wooden, 1~twin barreled tumbler..
plus a huge pile I'm workin' on in the back...)

That's alot of compost..

I would love to hear about you getting more bins.. [muggs] [clappy] [Cool] [grin] [flower] [Wink] [Big Grin]
That's always music to my ears when I hear
about people really getting more into composting.

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on January 23, 2006 09:37 AM
The good part about starting a new pile is that I am going to use pallets to make more bins (see the s on bins..LOL) DH already said if I get the pallets he will secure them together for me, so I am out to hunt pallets this week. Where I plan to put the new bins are right behind the one that is full and there is room to put three side by side besides my big wire bin. All of these are close to my chicken pen also behide a shed out of site and not far from the garden. When the new bins get built I'll post pictures.

-
 -
by johnCT on February 24, 2006 11:06 PM
Comfrey, I made the mistake of making only two bins at first. I found myself using partially unfinished compost more often than I liked so I added a third pile to the side of my two bins. Much better system IMO.

-

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on February 25, 2006 10:31 AM
I have a huge mound of stuff on the back porch...Everywhere that had pallets, seem to all of the sudden have none, So very soon I am going to have to just put it on the ground next to the first bin, there are some small pieces of tin that I can make some sides with to keep it in one place, until I can find some pallets. But I do plan to make at least two bins with them besides the big wire one. John do you have wire on the sides of yours?

-
 -
by weezie13 on February 25, 2006 09:58 PM
When I first starting reading up on composting,
most, if not all, suggest the 3 bin method..
One you are throwing your stuff in, one you are letting rest,
and one you are using the stuff out of it..
That way, you're not still adding to the top, taking out of the bottom, and running into that chance of using not completely composted materials.

But, as I speak with alot of gardener's who would like to or already are into composting... but don't have the space, then, any method to get compost is GOOD...

I recommend the 7 bin method... [Smile] [Cool]
and wish I was using the 20 bin method...hehehehehe [devil] [Wink] [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on February 25, 2006 10:00 PM
Johnnnnnnnnn, great lookin' compost you got there..
You're a man after me own heart dontchya kin!!!! [kissies] [Cool] [Smile] [thumb] [flower] [flower]

And doooooooooooooo tell me whatchya gonna do
with those BEAUTIFUL ROCKS YOU GOT THERE.. [Smile] [grin]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on February 26, 2006 12:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by comfrey:
John do you have wire on the sides of yours?
Yes comfrey. I lined the inside with hardware cloth.

quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
And doooooooooooooo tell me whatchya gonna do
with those BEAUTIFUL ROCKS YOU GOT THERE..

Thanks weezie. I have more rocks than I could possibly ever use. I cannot put a shovel in the ground without hitting a rock! [Mad]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 01:00 AM
I need to move to Connecticut... [Wink] [Big Grin] [grin] [Cool]
Here in town, I'm just blessed with nice soil..
*I think it was a farm section (I know there was a barn here) before others moved in and built house's on the street..

You makin' a Rock Garden???????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on February 26, 2006 02:31 AM
You're welcome to come and pick up as many as you want! How far are you from Central CT? [Big Grin]
quote:
Not really, I've saved most of the flat shaped ones that I was going to make a large hosta garden on a large shaded, sloped area of my property. I use the other ones here and there for interest, but most get piled out back.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 05:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
You're welcome to come and pick up as many as you want! How far are you from Central CT? [Big Grin]
quote:
Not really, I've saved most of the flat shaped ones that I was going to make a large hosta garden on a large shaded, sloped area of my property. I use the other ones here and there for interest, but most get piled out back.

I have relatives in Easton... and N.J. is that close???

What I wouldn't do for some big rocks like that..
You've got a little gold mine and you don't even know it... [thumb]

Have you ever been interested in rock gardens?

My father had a real "ROCK~EYE" so to speak,
I on the other hand, DON'T!!
I will have to see if I can scan the picture I have of his rock gardens....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on February 26, 2006 08:48 AM
quote:

You've got a little gold mine and you don't even know it...

Yeah, tell that to my back thats had to dig them all out! [Eek!]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on February 26, 2006 11:54 AM
Ohhhhhh, I believe it John,
I believe it...

Only satifaction to the pain is the
gorgeous out come of gardening [grin] [flower] [flower] [flower] [thumb] and a feeling of a job well done...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by DanielNewman007 on March 01, 2006 09:57 PM
I have just moved into my new house (4 months ago) and in the back garden (yard) there was a wooden 'box' that was being used for outside storage (kids toys, etc). I've since taken all the bricks out the bottom, and turned it into my compost heap.

It's about a meter square by maybe 75cm's tall. It has wooden sides all round, and a wooden top (with felt lining to keep it water tight). I've since stopped using the top and kept it open, though I have plastic sheeting to try to retain moisture.

I'm very new to the whole composting thing, but it has a lot of cuttings from things I've hacked back (not much wood though), some grass cuttings, and is being filled with a lot of kitchen left-overs (fruit cores, banana peels, salad, left over broccoli, cabbage, etc.) all uncooked.

Now for the question:

I've heard you're supposed to layer the bin, but as I only have one, everything seems to just go in, and then gets mixed up when I'm near it with a fork.

Is this OK, or should I have a tighter strategy for the compost?????

Thanks for your help.
by johnCT on March 02, 2006 12:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DanielNewman007:

I'm very new to the whole composting thing

Sounds like you're off to a great start!

quote:

I've heard you're supposed to layer the bin, but as I only have one, everything seems to just go in, and then gets mixed up when I'm near it with a fork.

Is this OK, or should I have a tighter strategy for the compost?????

Sure it is. Compost will happen no matter what you do to it. The only drawback would be that you'll have some unfinished material when you go to use it. Thats not a bad thing. You could always just throw any unfinished stuff back in the bin. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by DanielNewman007 on March 02, 2006 05:07 PM
Glad to hear it :-)

Something I thought of last night though. As I only have one bin, when the compost is ready to use (would this be maybe late summer?), should I have another container to move it into, so I still have a bin for the rest of my stuff? Would a garbage can be any use?

Thanks.
by johnCT on March 03, 2006 10:24 PM
quote:
Glad to hear it :-)

Something I thought of last night though. As I only have one bin, when the compost is ready to use (would this be maybe late summer?), should I have another container to move it into, so I still have a bin for the rest of my stuff? Would a garbage can be any use?

Thanks.

Ahh yes. See, this is where a multiple bin system shines. One for finished material, one working and one for new material. You can have finished compost in a month if you actively maanage it. Turning, watering, etc. Anything you can find to hold it would suffice.

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on March 03, 2006 10:43 PM
Like John said, I love the 3 bin system.
*well, I do the 7 bin system* [Wink] [thumb] [Smile]
but if you don't have the space for the 3 bin system..

Empty your compost pile, that you have right now,
and if it's not done or finished composting..
but it in a brown or green plastic garbage bag..
and put it in the sun..>the dark bag in the sun, causes heat inside the bag and finishes the final thrawls of composting..... and you can start re~loading the bin back up with stuff, and working it and filling it...

While the other in the back is finishing up..

*I did that and it turned out wonderfully*

Although you will end up with some big chunkes in the bags... you can take that big stuff and throw it back into another compost pile you start, and that will help that new bin start to active it'self with microbes that are on it and in it...
to jump start the new bin...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by DanielNewman007 on March 07, 2006 09:04 PM
We have the big brown bins for the council to collect garden refuse (I fill mine with all my big twigs and weeds that won't be much use in my own composter :-)). They have wheels on, so wondered if they'd be any use? Do you think they'd heat up the same as a platic bin liner, or should I just buy a wheelbarrow for transporting this stuff around my yard?
by comfrey on March 07, 2006 11:12 PM
The big brown bin should work fine or a trash can will work. I have one bin which is made out of chicken wire, but as weezie and John both pointed out...You will always need another bin. Mine needs to to worked on as far getting the finished or semi finished out of it, so I can add more stuff. I had planned to make a pallet bin, but that is not working out everywhere that had pallets all the sudden have none, So will proable make another wire bin.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 10, 2006 10:45 PM
How's everyone's compost doing???
Cookin' yet?????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by peppereater on March 11, 2006 01:37 AM
Weezie...glad you asked. I've been meaning to pick your brain for a while...you've got a compost tumbler, right? I bought an Urban Compost Tumbler last fall. I tried to do a batch that started to decompose some...it was getting a little dry, so I added water and spun it. After weeks, nothing was happening. I used the contents to plow into a row.
I took Mike McGrath's advice, the guy on NPR's "You Bet YOur Garden" I mixed shredded oak leaves (I bag about 100 to 150 bags of mostly oak every year) and LOTS of chicken poop, plus about a gallon of kitchen scraps. Now, this stuff sat and did nothing again...I've tried to keep it moist but not wet, and not spin it TOO much. I wasn't surprised during the cold weather, but we've had a record heatwave most of this year. Any thoughts?
I do bunches of compost bins...mostly just round wire structures...but I don't turn them. I wanted the tumbler so I'd have clean, complete compost.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by johnCT on March 11, 2006 03:35 AM
That's strange Dave. Was the chicken poop aged or fresh? If it had already composted itself down, it's nitrogen content would have been gone. This would have created an excess of "browns" and would have slowed it down. That's the only thing I could think of. [dunno]

I just threw a whole load of kitchen scraps in my new pile. Definitely not heating up yet though. There were big chunks of frozen stuff still! [shocked]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 03:52 AM
I promise I will get right to this..
*gotta go pick up the wee~one,
be right back!*

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 04:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
Weezie...glad you asked. I've been meaning to pick your brain for a while...
OH MY GOSH, PLEASE DON'T TELL MY HUSBAND THAT,
HE ALREADY THINKS IT'S BEEN PICKED CLEAN AS A WHISTLE.. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Embarrassed]

First, I had to look up what you got...

Okay, this is a kinda complicated answer...
First off, this is the one I have Mantis Twin Compost Tumbler
And IMHO it has a few flaws, but I'm not sending it back....
They are all workable, but you've got to play with it and get the feel of it..

First, if you're used to a open~bottomed compost bin, it doesn't work the same way, I feel..
The open bottomed one's have worms and ground moisture and such to work and activate and keeps working the pile..
When you have a tumbler, it's not exposed to the critters that help break it down, or the moisture drawn up from the bottom...

(and different style bins work differently too..
*I have two other regular open~bottomed bins that work differently than the wooden one's I have..*)

I had alot of trouble with mine in the beginning..
Especially with the moisture...
*I did use alot of bottom of the bottles of Pepsi, but haven't had alot hanging around lately.*

But it just seems to stand still, especially if you use alot of leaves....

and they say to chop up everything, that's one of the flaws I think, but that is how you get the compost to work down in such a short time, cause the pieces are soooo small, and smaller pieces have more exposed edges, and the more exposed edges, means faster decomposition...
But you could stand there all day choppin'.. [Roll Eyes]

I use this product Ringer Compost Plus
I ended up putting it in, and it got those leaves rrrrrrrrrv'd right up and down....
(*it also came with the tumbler, but I have used it for years before that, on my large leave piles in the back yard.. I have my yard, mother's yard and a neighbors yard I use all the maple leaves from, and the pile is HUGE, so I have to do something to get it down a bit or come windy fall or spring days the pile is back on the lawns...*)

Plus for me, I don't tumble mine everyday, I am way too busy for that...

But I have found that the more loads I've done in the bins, there's enough composted compost in the cracks and crevices's that that helps the next load start, cause all those goodie microbe's are in there... *and I sift the bins and put what hunks are tooooo big, into the new pile, which also helps active it too*

The other thing about mine is, I really dislike how it comes out.. most of the time I waste more
than I get in my wheel barrow, that has to be one size to fit under it...

And at least mine, does not come out in small pieces, *like it shows in the commercial/ad for it*, at least for liking, and you can never get it all out, but I guess for the next load~that's a good thing..

Yours looks like the mouth of it, is easier to empty than mine....

The one thing I liked about the compost tumbler is, I'm not sifting worms, it breaks my heart when I'm sifting and I grind one up in the sifting process... so, that's good, but the soil isn't as nice as the other ones'.. but I use it just the same....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 05:05 AM
Is this yours Dave??
"URBAN COMPOST TUMBLER"

I see for one of the extra's you can buy
is a "TEA" cathcer..
Finally usin' their heads I see..

Mine drains too, I just put two buckets under mine where it drips..

It'll drip mostly when it's had a good raining on the bins...

Also, they sell a Compost Activator too,
"Whitney Farms' Compost Maker Plus (4-4-2)"

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by peppereater on March 11, 2006 06:55 AM
That's the very one, Weezie! [thumb] I got the large model. Everything about it sounded great...even the fact that it didn't have gears and such to wear out. The thing is tough, I must say...really thick, stout plastic. I think it may even have a ten year guarantee, but I forget. The air tube in the center, the crossbars to throughly mix everything...What I've been thinking is that these oak leaves are just very tough and resistant to breaking down. And very acidic. But...they break down when they're in ground contact. Mold and fungal "threads" run through them.
I think that getting the bacteria, etc. established will help. I didn't use any starter/booster, but I did use a scoop of old compost, and some grass clippings which had digested some in a lawn bag...i have a lawn vac/shredder which really does a number on the leaves, but I have noticed that maple, pecan and other less leathery leaves need little help in nature to compost into soil over the fall and winter.
Oh well. Summertime will be the true test...just wish I had tons of clean, chemical free lawn clippings.

-
Dave
by peppereater on March 11, 2006 06:57 AM
oh yeah, Weezie...I bought the compost tea collector, too...I could always just saturate everything in there and collect the juice a week later! Do that a couple times and start over! [thumb]

-
Dave
by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 07:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
oh yeah, Weezie...I bought the compost tea collector, too...I could always just saturate everything in there and collect the juice a week later! Do that a couple times and start over! [thumb]
You can make a foliar feed too and spray it on the leaves...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 07:06 AM
quote:
I think that getting the bacteria, etc. established will help.
I really think that is one of the keys to
those bins, is after it builds up stuff inside,
from load, to load, to load...
To be honest, I really don't use that ringer any more in the bins... it was basically just for a few of the first loads on both sides....

I also have to admit, I don't stuff it as much as
I used to... and over stuffing it probably didn't help it much..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 12, 2006 01:06 AM
Woohoo the neighbors kittykorner to me just raked up their fall leaves and gave them to me. Woohoo! I have really nice neighbors over there. And isn't that going to be a good starter when I get my first load of grass from the landlord. I can't wait for that. I plan to get out there to day and turn the bin and the pile but so far I've taken a nap instead. I think I'm still tired from the dinner last night. It doesn't take much to wear me out.

-
 -
by peppereater on March 13, 2006 01:58 AM
Now I'm really wondering what's wrong in that tumbler. I built a pallet compost bin on Wednesday, filled it with leaves, a few scoops of soil and some chicken poop, and watered thoroughly. As of today, it must be 110 degrees just a few inches down! Just like that!

-
Dave
by weezie13 on March 13, 2006 02:23 AM
How many batches of compost have you made
with this tumbler yet Dave???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by peppereater on March 13, 2006 05:31 AM
quote:
How many batches of compost have you made
with this tumbler yet Dave???

None. After 6 weeks or more last fall, I dumped the first batch and tilled it under...it was somewhat broken down. Then I started this batch immediately...we did have some cool weather, but it's been HOT! Really hot many days this year...it's 80 again today. There's just no activity in the tumbler at all! [Eek!] I've experimented with different moisture levels, more turning vs. less turning...Maybe these Black Jack oak leaves are just too tough. I know I could have composted 4 or 5 batches of maple leaves at the very least by now! [Mad]

-
Dave
by peppereater on March 13, 2006 05:35 AM
let me add, Weezie, that my shredder does a very good job...the pieces are anywhere from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch. They have lots of dust from the vacuum action of the shredder...so soil, bacteria, etc. is throughout, before I even add anything...It's just a huge mystery why nothing is happening in there!

-
Dave
by weezie13 on March 13, 2006 09:42 AM
I would go with more green, leaves as you know are very tough to decompose..

And with it being a new tumbler, that good stuff,
isn't build up in it from previous loads....

Get some old beer hangin' around and put that in, if there is such a thing [Wink] [Big Grin] [thumb] [kissies]

And find some of that Ringer stuff, or the stuff that was sold with your tumbler, I really had to use it in the first couple of loads, but I have not had to in the past 3 summers now...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on March 13, 2006 10:19 PM
Well my bin got turned for the first time this year. And I have no green to work with yet so I thought I'd start a yeast culture and see about stirring things up. I'd use beer but I don't drink lol.

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 16, 2006 07:29 AM
Mine's still frozen solid... [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on March 16, 2006 09:25 PM
Is it really Weezie? Wow. Even with that warm weather this past weekend?

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on March 16, 2006 10:22 PM
Just some of the top edges are crumpling..

(I do have a big container/bucket of some bagged compost, I will leave in the sun, and it will start to thaw faster, and I can start to sift that for my seed starting mixtures....)
But it won't be for some weeks yet...

We had one spring day, a couple of days ago..
and now we're snowed on again, and freezing temps..
I haven't watched the weather forecast as of late to see what's coming in the next weeks...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: