The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

iris after blooming

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Iris & 4 o'clocks| Next thread: Iris Borer Question Please help! »
Back to Thread index
by ccwheeless on June 01, 2004 04:34 AM
What is the pod-like "thing" that grows after the iris has bloomed?? My husband and I have always wondered!!-thanks
by Nako on June 01, 2004 06:00 AM
I'd actually like to know about this too. I'm guessing its a seed case, but i've never really seen it before. I just looked and one day the flowers would wither and disappear lol.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by weezie13 on June 01, 2004 06:45 AM
Ccwheeless,
Can you tell us which iris it is????

Weezie

(And Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way!! Lot's to do here and very nice people.
Check out all of our new sections here, and add some as you go along!!)

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by ccwheeless on June 01, 2004 08:19 AM
I am sorry to say but I have no idea. These came from my great grandmother's farm. They are a lovely light purple though....
We have lots of them, so I had always wondered about the "pod"
by gardenmom32210 on June 02, 2004 02:28 PM
My African Iris gets pods after flowering. I dry the pods ,remove the seeds and plant them. They take a while to grow,but they eventually do. I have also done this with another Iris I have(dont know thw name:deep burgandy color)and it worked the same.

Karen [grin]
by sibyl on June 03, 2004 04:25 AM
i get seed pods too, [thumb] i useally just throw em in the ground with my irises, i think next time im gonna plant em in a pot just to see how long theyll grow, i think its a year [dunno]

-
 -
by ccwheeless on June 03, 2004 08:01 AM
thanks for all your help. I'll have to try it out!! [Smile]

christi
by Bess of the Piedmont on June 03, 2004 09:51 PM
Christi,

I pop off the seed pods from my irises, because I don't want the plants to waste too much energy on making seeds. They increase themselves much faster just by spreading their rhizomes out.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Iris & 4 o'clocks| Next thread: Iris Borer Question Please help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: