The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Iris & 4 o'clocks

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Iris| Next thread: iris after blooming »
Back to Thread index
by KarenE on May 07, 2004 01:43 AM
I have a lot of iris planted and there are also 4 o'clocks in the bed. The last couple of years the iris look green and healty but do no send up any blooms. Could this have anything to do with the 4 o'clocks.

I'm located in Denver. Any hints you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
by Jiffymouse on May 07, 2004 05:57 AM
[wayey] hi karen [wayey] welcome to the garden helper! glad you found and joined us [thumb]

i am going to move your question to the plant and flower section so that you will get some good answers [thinker]
by Bestofour on May 08, 2004 05:17 AM
I'm in the south so I hope my info will be correct. Iris' need to be planted very shallow. Just barely cover the rhizome with dirt. I have some that do well in shade but in Denver, you may need to have them in full sun. I'd dig them up, move them and plant shallow.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by KarenE on May 10, 2004 06:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bestofour:
I'm in the south so I hope my info will be correct. Iris' need to be planted very shallow. Just barely cover the rhizome with dirt. I have some that do well in shade but in Denver, you may need to have them in full sun. I'd dig them up, move them and plant shallow.
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give that a try.
by Bess of the Piedmont on May 10, 2004 07:31 PM
Tall bearded irises actually like to have the tops of their rhizomes NAKED! That means not covered by grass, weeds, vines or dirt! The little roots that come out of the bottoms of the rhizomes are the only parts that absolutely have to be covered with soil.

Here's a gorgeous fellah that just bloomed in my yard this morning:
 -

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on May 10, 2004 07:39 PM
[thumb] beautiful bess
by KarenE on May 11, 2004 03:21 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bess of the Piedmont:
Tall bearded irises actually like to have the tops of their rhizomes NAKED! That means not covered by grass, weeds, vines or dirt! The little roots that come out of the bottoms of the rhizomes are the only parts that absolutely have to be covered with soil.

Here's a gorgeous fellah that just bloomed in my yard this morning:
 -

They are just beautiful. Thanks for sending the image.
by Bestofour on May 14, 2004 03:42 AM
I have some that color too. Do you know their name?

-
 -
by Bess of the Piedmont on May 14, 2004 08:54 PM
Sherl-

I'm not certain, because it was given to me unmarked, but just this yesterday The Washington Post Home section ran a photo of a similar iris and called it "Beverly Sills". La, la, la...!!!!!

-
 -
by Bestofour on May 15, 2004 03:55 AM
I'm going to take a picture of mine, submit it to the paper, and call it Bess of the Piedmont!

-
 -
by Bess of the Piedmont on May 16, 2004 07:03 PM
[Embarrassed] You'd be flattering me! [Embarrassed]

Hee hee! Send me a copy if they print it! [grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Iris| Next thread: iris after blooming »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: