The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fave Seed Catalog?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Fatsia help!| Next thread: Favorite flower? »
Back to Thread index
by Deborah L. on November 08, 2006 12:05 PM
What's everyone's favorite seed catalog?
Why is it your favorite?
I'll start: Mine is definitely Johhny's.
I like what he does for the environment, AND I know for a fact that at his farm/grounds they trap pests such as raccoons using only humane traps and releases.
Plus he has really good choices and offers plants that aren't hybrids, such as "real" sunflowers.

-
 -
by comfrey on November 08, 2006 12:36 PM
My favorites are:
1- Seedsavers Exchange, They have non hybrid seed only that is organically produced and I believe in their cause...To save different plant varieties that would other wise be extinct.
2- Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, They have non hybrid seed also and are very family orientated, their seed is good, their service is very fast and they will try to assist you in anyway they can.

Both places offer free mail order catalogs and have a good selection of flowers, herbs & veggies.

-
 -
by LandOfOz on November 08, 2006 12:48 PM
I like Seeds Of Change because their seeds are organic and they offer a very large variety, with growing instructions, and lots of pics! Plus, if you order online you get a discount.

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by obywan59 on November 08, 2006 02:17 PM
My favorite is Johnny's Selected Seed. They have the best corn and peas ever! They're also starting to get more organic seed.

My second favorite is Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for their great selection of heirloom tomatoes and open pollinated plant varieties.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by johnCT on November 08, 2006 09:15 PM
SSE Yearbook, Tomato Grower's Supply, Victory Seeds, Sandhill Preservation, Territorial. Johnny's is becoming more and more "corporate" all the time which kinda turns me off.

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on November 09, 2006 01:06 AM
John, never heard of these except for Tomato Grower's - I'm going to order their Micro-Tom, because it'll be fun to have such a tiny tomato plant.
It says it'll grow in a 4" pot but to be safe I'm going to use a 6".
I think it'd make a fun conversation piece, and I'm curious to see if it really grows little tomatoes the size of a raisin.

-
 -
by johnCT on November 09, 2006 09:01 PM
Deb, all of those vendors have relatively small operations that stand by their product and service. Regarding Micro-Tom, the tomatoes aren't really raisin-sized. Where'd you read that? I'll be growing it next year more than likely and from what I understand the fruit is more like a small cherry size and it's more of a neat conversation piece, like you said, than something you'd grow for taste.

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on November 09, 2006 11:28 PM
John, oops, I just assumed that the Micro-Toms would be raisin-sized.
Or, I'm thinking of Reisentraube-I think the description for that one was raisin-sized tomatoes.

-
 -
by johnCT on November 09, 2006 11:56 PM
Oh yeah, I think that variety has been described as a bunch of grapes or something like that, lol. See what I mean about how many varieties are available to try!! [shocked]

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on November 10, 2006 08:47 AM
The pictures of Riesentraube are dazzling-huge yields dripping from every branch.
They say the tiny fruits are used for wine....hmmmmm....
[Wink]

-
 -
by Sorellina on November 11, 2006 01:56 AM
Ciao all,

I like all of John's catalogues, plus Totally Tomatoes has a nice one to look at and get ideas from..I've not ordered from them, though.. and Terra Edibles and Solana Seeds in Canada are good as well. I like trading seeds with people even more now, though.

I'm asking Santa for a SSE membership this year ;o)

-
by reba on November 21, 2006 10:17 PM
I like Thompson&Morgan because of their sections on AAS and RHS AGM award winning flowers and vegetables + the catalog is 200 pages long and free [clappy] I like to try the award winners,I've gotten some amazing results [flower] Territorial is a northwest (Oregon) seed company that has varieties geared to our weather.I love Tomato Growers Supply.If you are into bulbs,you have to get Van Engelen(bulk)and their sister company John Schiefield? catalog(not bulk).You can order both at Van Engelen's web site. [teacher] I am a catalog junkie and send for every one.
by comfrey on November 22, 2006 11:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by reba:
I like Thompson&Morgan.... I am a catalog junkie and send for every one.
I like Thompson & Morgan also...not to order from as I feel they are a little on the high side, But I love looking at all the wonderful pictures and reading about them. I also am a catalog junkie...the more I get the more I love it...I can spend hours just browsing in the catalogs!!! Cheap winter entertainment [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Sorellina on November 23, 2006 09:01 AM
LOL Comfrey, a LITTLE on the high side? Highway robbery sez me!

-
by elkwc36 on November 25, 2006 08:20 AM
I like Totally Tomatoes. They have a wide selection and great service. And their catalog has lots of good information about lots of different tomatoes. I use the more commercial catalogs to order my non tomato and pepper seeds. Enjoy reading and looking at all I receive and then always end up trying a few new things. Jay
by comfrey on November 27, 2006 12:03 PM
I've ordered from Totally Tomato before and was pleased with what I received from them...But Tomato Growers Supply I feel is much better. For Peppers The Pepper Gal is a very good place to order from.

-
 -
by johnCT on November 27, 2006 08:47 PM
There are many much better places to order from than TT. I've heard poor things about them.

John - Zone 6
by Deborah L. on November 27, 2006 10:59 PM
How come nobody's mentioned the standard-Burpee's?
Just curious.

-
 -
by reba on November 27, 2006 11:31 PM
Try reading the reviews at gardenwatchdog on some of these companies.I check before I buy,I think Burbee's has had a LOT of complaints.It's also interesting to see how many companies have how many names they market under.I can also order their catalogs while I'm checking them out [clappy]
by johnCT on November 28, 2006 12:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Just curious.

Don't get me started.. [Wink] [Big Grin]

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on November 28, 2006 12:19 AM
Well Deborah you brought this up..So I will tell you what I think of Burpee.... Years ago I ordered some plants from them and the plants arrived in very sad condition and a couple of them died within days before even setting them out. Yes they did replace them, but I was just not pleased with their service or product, and never ordered from them again. I do like to look at their catalog and browse whats new for the year, but will never order from them.

-
 -
by weezie13 on November 28, 2006 03:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by johnCT:
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Just curious.

Don't get me started.. [Wink] [Big Grin]

[Wink] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on November 28, 2006 03:26 AM
I have a huge list of them somewhere's...
I'll have to go hunting for them... [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on November 28, 2006 06:52 AM
I got Totally Tomatoes today, with the front cover torn off. [tears]
I like my catalogs to look nice. Sounds silly, but it adds to the enjoyment somehow, when the catalogs are intact and attractive.
As for Burpee's, I was just curious-I never use them either.

-
 -
by elkwc36 on November 28, 2006 08:48 AM
I use Burpee's along with probably a total of 8-10 others to get all the different seeds I desire every year. I've had great luck with them. As I have most everyone I order from. There is only a few I don't order from and one of them is the favorite of many tomatoholics. It is just the personal experience you have and what varieties you desire. I like the smaller sellers but use several commerial also including Gurnery's. This year I've used Tomato Fest, TT,Amishland,Skyfire,Laurel's,Baker Creek,Tomato Growers and Burpee all with good service. Will know about germination of seeds in 3 to 4 months. This is a variety of seeds and not all just tomato. JD
by afgreyparrot on November 28, 2006 12:03 PM
quote:
Fave Seed Catalog?
Willhite Seeds

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by reba on November 28, 2006 09:24 PM
Thanks [clappy] Sent for their catalog.Rats!!Just found out I missed the seedsman Thanksgiving sale.Great place to look for the unusual [Mad]
by weezie13 on November 28, 2006 11:28 PM
Here's a post for some Catalog links from a previous posts for CANADA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HERE'S A LINK TO CATALOGS FOR USA...from a previous post...

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Fatsia help!| Next thread: Favorite flower? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: