The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Favorite flower?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Fave Seed Catalog?| Next thread: Favorite ground cover? »
Back to Thread index
by Katb on May 02, 2005 01:58 PM
[flower] I,d like to know what everyones favoite flowers are to grow & whats the one you have done the best with I have lots of favorites foxglove ,daylily , croscromia ,dahila just to name a few I had foxglove that had 13ft spikes you could see the big pink flowers a mile away they were a real sight .
by tkhooper on May 02, 2005 02:05 PM
Wow that's tall. This is my first year growing flowers so I don't know what will do best. My favorite is the peony (in spite of the ants [Big Grin] ). I love the miniature roses and hope to get some later in the year.

-
 -
by tamara on May 02, 2005 02:36 PM
That's a loaded question. My favorite would probably be sunflowers but columbines catch my eye also. I've never had any trouble growing anything except for hybrid tea roses, Zone 4 here, kind of cold for them.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by TheGardenerGuy on May 02, 2005 02:56 PM
Hi... [wayey]
My favorites to grow this year are the bearded and siberian iris, daylilies, and hostas. I just started my beds for these but they are so much fun to grow. [flower]
I love magnolias and tea roses too, but its too cold for them here.. [gabby]
Greg [angel]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by Fernie on May 02, 2005 03:19 PM
I am a spring flower fan. Probably because of winter getting over? [dunno] And those that smell yummy like hyacinths and lilacs are really big favorites of mine. I have had pretty good luck growing portulaca and iris too.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by tkhooper on May 02, 2005 04:20 PM
Portaluca great choice fernie. I forgot about them. lets see I started some indoors and some outdoors this year. Needless to say the indoor starts are doing much better but they were a pain to transplant cause I didn't use jiffy pots.

-
 -
by Elfinone on May 02, 2005 04:52 PM
My favorite flowers, hmmm thats a toughy. I do love petunias, just love they way they look and smell. Asiatic lily's are another one. I love to fill in the spaces with alyssium all colors.Purple cone flower, and my sage.
those are just a few, I plant everything I like and then I also plant what others like, that way I think of them all the time and when they come it gives them something to smile quietly about.
[Wink]
by GiselaT on May 02, 2005 05:35 PM
Hmmm...that's a tough question...never met a flower I didn't like. [Wink]
Foxgloves and dahlias would be at the top of my list though. And canna lilies and zinnias and columbine...glads...irises...black pansies...snapdragons...love-lies-bleeding...
begonias...lupine...peonies...roses...
clematis...monarda...hollyhock...delphinium...
carnations...veronica...hydrangeas...geraniums...
montbretia...the list goes on and on and on. [grin]

Gisela
by tkhooper on May 02, 2005 05:37 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] @ Grisela

-
 -
by Fernie on May 02, 2005 05:39 PM
Oh I forgot my hollyhock and rose of sharon and calla lilies and and and...

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -
by princessazlea on May 02, 2005 06:59 PM
My favourite flower has to be Azaleas, I have 3 in my back garden and 1 in the front. The one in the front I have had a couple of years and I thought it was dead, there was just nothing happening to it so I decided to pull it up. But I didn't which I am sooooo glad now, as it has beautiful Pink flowers on it. [grin]

-
 -
"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens".
by dulcevoce on May 02, 2005 09:10 PM
That really is a tall order to name a fav plant [Smile] But, guess Lantana would sit at the top right now. When living in VA, azaleas were my favorite. Now in TX I'm tickled with native grasses, sage, and on and on. Neat question to be asked 'cause it makes me smile [thumb]

-
by Gardencrazy on May 03, 2005 06:03 AM
This is a really tough question. I love almost anything that grows. [grin] But the most impressive bloom to me is a lotus. I adore waterlilies, daylilies, hosta, sedums and on and on! [critic] I love everybodies choices too! [grin]
Gardencrazy [flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by GiselaT on May 03, 2005 06:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by princessazlea:
My favourite flower has to be Azaleas, I have 3 in my back garden and 1 in the front.
I forgot to put those on my list... [Smile]
I was at the home Depot tonight and they had these absolutly stunning azaleas -- glacial or glacier was the name. Almost bought one and then read the label -- zones 7-10! This is zone 5!!!
I griped at the garden manager about it,because people are going to but those gorgeous plants and they're all going to die next winter! They were big too -- some of them were 2 feet tall. What a waste! [Frown]

Gisela
by dulcevoce on May 03, 2005 08:19 PM
Alert to Gardencrazy -- did you know that you can eat the daylily buds just before they open? I have a copy of "Stalking the Wild Asparagus" by Euell Gibbons in which he discusses it. My mom and I many years ago picked some from daylilies growing in MD and couldn't believe how tasty they were after sauteing them in butter. This is probably more than you ever wanted to know!! [Smile] Jane

-
by Katb on May 04, 2005 12:47 AM
I read that the wild portaluca was brought in covered wagons when the settlers came it was a great sorce of water it was easy & light to carry it was one of the main staples.
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
Portaluca great choice fernie. I forgot about them. lets see I started some indoors and some outdoors this year. Needless to say the indoor starts are doing much better but they were a pain to transplant cause I didn't use jiffy pots.
by tkhooper on May 04, 2005 01:20 AM
What a cool bit of folk lore. Thank you for sharing that Katb.

-
 -
by JV on May 07, 2005 03:12 AM
My favorite flower is Rose's all types and Hibiscus all types and Hollyhocks. All make great tea and salads from blooms and leaves. [flower]

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by mike57 on May 07, 2005 05:50 AM
HI [wayey] ALL i love all flowers it would be hard for me to pick just one.but if i had to it would be hibiscus plants because of the large varity.heres a link to two photos of my bearded irises that are blooming now.thr phoyos dont do them justis.hope you injoy.
http://www.msnusers.com/mike57flowers/shoebox.msnw?Page=1
your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Meadowlark on May 07, 2005 08:20 AM
My favorite flower? That is tough. ( do dogwood blooms count? )I would have to say probably tigerlilys or irises, although I do love the fragrances of lilacs and honeysuckle.

The family tree is worth bragging about if it has consistently produced good timber, and not just nuts.
by Katb on May 07, 2005 04:52 PM
It,s very hard for me to pick only a few I love the ones that have a long bloom time or the ones that rebloom I love my fernleaf bleedinghearts I have red ,pink & white they start blooming very early spring & bloom until frost kills them in late fall their one o the longest blooming plants I know of & I love the folage the leaves are so delicate does anyone know of any long blooming plants I,d love to find more for my garden [kitty]
by Meg on May 07, 2005 04:57 PM
Gosh, I love them all!! Hmm.. currently I want.. roses, peonies, begonias, clematis, and I'm sure there's others that I could keep going..lol. I just don't know when to stop! I don't have yard enough for everything, and I drive by a house, and say, wow, I really like that.. then I want it too! LOL.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Katb on May 07, 2005 05:12 PM
I love the nonstop rose begonias they bloom a very long time also I always try & get some of every color its like eating chips its hard to stop at one when I see all the pretty colors I want more more more I have it bad [kitty]
by Kingfisher on May 08, 2005 03:54 PM
I would have to go with the Hydrangea. You can let them dry on the plant or cut them. Just no smell.
by Longy on May 08, 2005 11:42 PM
Hard to go past a poinciana (delonix regia)in full bloom for me.

Although a golden penda (xanthostemon chrysanthus) goes close. http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/APOL30/jun0314b.html

For intrigue, a bat plant flower (tacca chantrieri) is unreal. have a gander at this one:
http://plants.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/6004/1?RA=tiscali
by tkhooper on May 09, 2005 01:38 AM
the Xanthostemon chrysanthus; Golden Penda looks just like a fireworks display. I really like that one.

Tacca chantrieri is just plain weird.

I always love your posts longy they bring a new perspective every time.

-
 -
by loz on May 09, 2005 03:02 AM
Oooo, I love Portulacas....my moms always grown them, and now I plant a lot of them too....can't beat the colors on them!

I'd have to say my favorite flower is probably the cosmos.....I love the feathery foliage, and their ability to adapt to bad conditions....I love the abundance of colorful flowers that they put off every year.....and I cut the heck out of them too for my vases....I guess they are a pretty simple flower compared to most, but that's one of the things I like best about them. Plus I love really tall flowers and last year mine were well over 5 foot tall.....
by Francine on July 23, 2005 09:26 AM
Hi everyone,

well t would b hard to name em all,but i like any kind of roses,begonias,tulips of every kind...well luv em all!

******katb: your history fact is very interresting,if ever get some more please share.

******mike: your flowers are beautiful,specially like you brazilian dafodil.where did you get that treasure.and don t even mention the wishing well,it s a beauty;must ve been a lot a work.the little bird houses are so pretty...in a nutshell,i love everything.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by BFVISION on July 23, 2005 08:40 PM
Sounds like everyone has a different favorite, I guess thats what makes so many gardens special. My favorite here is the cone flower, especially echinacea. They are favorites for the butterfles, come in so many colors, last a long time and soooo prolific.

I have had similar experiences at home depot with plants not for our zone too. Buyer be ware.

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by Karrie on July 24, 2005 12:25 PM
This is a hard quesstion I adore wave petunias. I need to take some pictures of mine for you all to see. I got a six pack planted on the side of my house each individual plant now is at least a minimum of 2 feet in diamater. I also adore lantana. I think that he waterfall delphinium is right at the top too and also the Zebrenias oh so pretty too!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by cinta on July 24, 2005 01:48 PM
Hi everyone, I am not on the board much. This is a great question.

I would have to say I like things that are not fussy and dependable and fragrant.

My first choice, is a daylily. Second would be the fragrant Hosta family. Then Lilies, Orientals, and LA's, Orientpets.

I like many flowers but if they are fussy and iffy lifespan I do not have the time to nurse them along.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Fave Seed Catalog?| Next thread: Favorite ground cover? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: