The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

fertilizer

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: fertilizer| Next thread: Fertilizer Sticks/ soil »
Back to Thread index
by joegardener on September 12, 2006 07:51 AM
Does anyone know if chicken manure is good fertilizer and how much to use on a 25 by 15 garden
by patches1414 on September 12, 2006 01:37 PM
Joegardener, chicken manure is a great fertilizer because it contains Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium which are all beneficial to your plants; [Wink] but, DON'T use any of the fresh chicken manure on your flowers or vegetables because it's too hot when it's fresh and will burn your plants. [Frown] It can damage the roots and kill your plants when it is used raw; however, it can be composted and turned into "Black Gold" for your garden. [Wink] I would add it to your compost bin or pile and let it cure for about three or four months before using it, and you will know when it's ready because the compost will be dark, crumbly, and earthy smelling!

Hey neighbor, what part of Illinois do you live in? [dunno] I'm in the southern part near St. Louis.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by joegardener on September 14, 2006 08:43 AM
I live in belleville which is about 15 miles from st louis. A friend has chickens so he has plenty of poo. [Eek!] I want to till it in for spring. My garden will love me for it. Thanks for the advise. Are you close to belleville.
by patches1414 on September 14, 2006 08:59 AM
Geesh, it sounds like we live in the same general area! I'm pretty close to St. Louis too!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fertilizer| Next thread: Fertilizer Sticks/ soil »
Back to Thread index