The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fertilizers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Fertilizer Sticks/ soil| Next thread: Fertilizing a peperomia »
Back to Thread index
by EvelynsFlowerbaby on June 21, 2006 02:41 PM
I need to fertilize my vegie garden I was hoping someone could tell me what would be a good fertilizer to use? I have a horse, would using her manure be good, what should I do to it before I put it on my plants? I need help. Rachel [dunno]

Rachel Roberts
www.myhorseteddybear.com
www.petticoatpets.com
by Danno on June 21, 2006 03:29 PM
manure = good [Smile] Dont put it on green. . . i dont know the process in whole, but i imagine it needs to sit and sit and sit for a while before you add to your soil. (i'd let it sit for next year seein how your in texas and its already 10000000000 degs. there for you guys LOL)

Espoma!!!!!!! Best fertilizer (so i'm told and thats all i'm using.) some say its not 100% organic, but i dont see any chemicals in its listing.

-
by woodchuck on June 21, 2006 03:46 PM
What Danno said, green manure will burn the plants. 6months , turning in a little grass or hay will help, then use it sparingly. Was just talking to my pop about this and horse manure is on the acidic side. Now, maybe you can make some tea with it, put some in a bucket, fill with water, mix alittle, drain off the water and feed the plants with that. Try it on one less significant plant if possible, if it works out, feed the rest.

Good Luck.
by obywan59 on June 21, 2006 04:09 PM
I've had GREAT luck with Epsoma'a Holly-tone on my rhododendrons and azaleas. They've gone from being sluggish growers to strong, but not overly vigorous growers. My rhodies and azaleas were just covered with flowers this spring and I didn't even pinch the rhodie flowers off last year.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Longy on June 21, 2006 05:25 PM
Horse manure is a good soil conditioner. As far as being a fertilizer is concerned, it's fine, but not a complete fert. Best left to age a bit or hot composted and dug into the soil prior to planting. Soil preparation is the key to growing good vegies.

I use mainly organic fertilizers and have the best results with liquid ferts of fish emulsion, worm 'juice', compost tea and manure teas.

For solid fertilizers, i work these into the soil prior to planting and these include rotted manures, compost, pelletized chicken manures, blood and bone meal etc. Depending on where i source these items, they may require some further ammendments to make a balanced fertilizer. So i may need to add potash to blood and bonemeal for example. The liquid ferts like fish fert have these already balanced and so are a complete fertilizer.

The Espoma brand looks Ok, as do many others. Some claiming to be organic, others are totally chemical and there's some blends of the two. They will, for example, have primarily organic materials but with some superphosphates or inorganic additives to balance them out. The choice of what to use will depend on what you have available and then it's up to you.

See if you can get some soluble organic fertilizer from your supplier, like fish emulsion, or Espoma, or whatever, then discuss with the supplier the pros and cons of what else they have to offer. I don't believe in chasing a particular brand name as there are so many to choose from.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Fertilizer Sticks/ soil| Next thread: Fertilizing a peperomia »
Back to Thread index