The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hornworm Infestation...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: hornets in cantelope and watermelon| Next thread: Horse Poopie »
Back to Thread index
by Tonya on August 31, 2006 11:42 PM
I was out looking at my tomato plants last night and spotted a hornworm munching away. I killed him and there was another, then another, and yet another.... [Mad] I must have killed 15 of those buggers before I got frustrated and came inside. I was finding HUGE ones and tiny ones. (smaller than a quarter inch long...) Any suggestions for stopping these annoying little turkeys? [dunno]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Bestofour on September 01, 2006 05:55 AM
this is what I found

CONTROL:

Handpicking. The large size of hornworms makes it easy to get hold of them. Once removed from the plant, they can be destroyed by snipping them in half with shears or dropping them into a bucket of water.
Rototilling. Turning up the soil after harvest will destroy any pupae that may be there.
Biological. Bacillus thuringensis, or BT (e.g., Dipel, Thuricide), is also considered very effective, especially on smaller larvae. Spray it as a precaution. Natural enemies, such as the parasitic wasp that lays its eggs on the hornworm's back, are common. If found, such worms should be left in the garden so the emerging wasps can parasitize other hornworms

Insecticides. Hornworms can be controlled with carbaryl, permethrin, spinosad insecticides. Read the label carefully before using any insecticide.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Tonya on September 01, 2006 07:01 AM
Thanks Sheri! [kissies] I had been looking and nothing, now they are EVERYWHERE!!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Bestofour on September 01, 2006 12:44 PM
are you still getting a lot of tomatoes? Mine are about finished. Maybe 1 or 2 decent ones a day.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Tonya on September 01, 2006 11:28 PM
I pulled all but two of my plants up yesterday. I kept the two that still had fruit on them. They are small and green, but I can wait! [Smile]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hornets in cantelope and watermelon| Next thread: Horse Poopie »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: