The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

wild raspberries

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Wild Plum Trees Driving Us Plum Crazy| Next thread: Wild Rose Bush »
Back to Thread index
by Calean on August 10, 2006 11:12 AM
Hello! [wavey]

I would like to know how to identify a species of raspberry that (seemingly suddenly) started growing on the edge of my back yard amoung some locus (locust?) trees and other undergrowth.

It produced some fruit this year (about 1/4 lb or so - I'm not sure, because I think I was sharing with the local wildlife) It is only one plant as far as I can tell, and the ripest berries were a near-black color with a very nice flavor that was not too sweet, (but didn't need sugar) and no bitterness at all.

I really don't know where the plant came from - probably wildlife droppings - it just suddenly made itself known this year by showing off it's bright chartreuse - to - white unripe berries. I didn't even see it bloom!

Any help in identification would be greatly appreceiated!

Also, would there be any difference in care between a store-bought raspberry and "wild" raspberry plants? I did find the article on this website "Growing and Caring for Raspberry Plants", but again, I am not sure about the difference in wild vs. store-bought.

Thanks in advance!

Calean [nutz]

Smile! You never know who's looking!
by LandOfOz on August 11, 2006 06:41 AM
Calean, you might try posting this in the Mystery Plant section. Someone there might be able to help you more. Also, a photo is worth a thousand words and might provide some additional assistance. Sorry I can't be of more help to you!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by weezie13 on August 12, 2006 06:53 AM
ohhhhhh, heck, If I would have read this in the beginning, I probably could have actually answered the question, *but what LandofOZ said,
is true, a picture is worth a thousand words*

but if I'm right it's a
BLACK RASPBERRY....
Do a Google Search and see if any pictures match up!

I have them, I have a huge patch, but they cannnnn become invasive... one branch over weaves the other, eventually if you let them go for a few years [Embarrassed] [Roll Eyes] [Embarrassed] and they have verrrrrry sharp barbs on the bigger canes in years to come...

Do you have a picture??????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Calean on August 14, 2006 06:54 AM
Hello weezie13! [wavey]

Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera and my 35mm still has over 12 shots left on it. :-/

Although you may be right about the black raspberry idea... [thinker]

I'll try to see if I can borrow my m-i-l's digital camera... it may be a while though. When I finally do get a picture of it, I will remember to post in the mystery plants section next time! [Smile]

Thanks weezie13! [Wink]

Calean [nutz]

Smile! You never know who's looking!
by weezie13 on August 14, 2006 07:06 AM
Lookin' forward to seeing it,
just to confirm yes or no...
Butttttt hey, anyyyyyy time for helpin' out..
glad to to what I can....
[thumb] [thumb] [flower]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Wild Plum Trees Driving Us Plum Crazy| Next thread: Wild Rose Bush »
Back to Thread index