The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Everybody loves pics!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by johnCT on July 28, 2006 01:33 PM
Here's a few I took this evening...

Latest shot of most of my plants...Aunt Ruby's German Green is the plant on the far right corner. Six and a half feet and still going! [shocked]
 -

Lucky Leprechaun in my main garden loaded with fruit...
 -

Black from Tula has about 10 fruit on it so far...(disregard the flea beetle...It met it's maker soon after I snapped the shot...)
 -

Black Cherry is loaded with fruit...
 -

Mortgage Lifter has a couple large ones...
 -

Largest fruit so far definitely goes to Omar's Lebanese. This puppy is 6 inches in diameter and still growing. This plant supposedly can yield 3 lb fruit at times...
 -

Lime green salad is darkening up. Maybe another week or so for my first ever green-when-ripe...
 -

Wish we weren't limited to 8 images per post...

Happy tomatoes to all...

John - Zone 6
by Triss on July 28, 2006 01:59 PM
WOW John, those are AMAZING!!! Great crop!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by comfrey on July 28, 2006 02:04 PM
WOW...Great looking tomatoes John!!!! [clappy] Put my name on your list when you save seeds. Very nice Thanks for sharing with us. [muggs]

-
 -
by chenno on July 28, 2006 02:13 PM
[thumb] fried green mators..looks awesome!

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by shanbear on July 29, 2006 03:20 AM
[thumb] Just beautiful John! [flower]

-
 -
by ShirlS on July 29, 2006 03:23 AM
Beautiful tomatoe's John!! [muggs]

Shirl

-
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
by weezie13 on July 29, 2006 03:47 AM
Those are B~E~A~U~T~I~F~U~LLLLLLLLL!!! [muggs]
Gosh, I wish mine were that big!!! [Eek!]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on July 29, 2006 04:22 AM
Weezie, time to move away from the frozen tundra to a warmer climate. [Big Grin]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on July 29, 2006 04:45 AM
Unfortunately, I can't blame it ALL on the frozen tundra.. the other half is meeeeeee [grin] [Embarrassed] ...
and having too many proverbial pokers in the fire so to speak..
kids and a mother.. love them all very dearly..
and in the meantime, I live vicariously thru all of every's success's... [kissies] [clappy]
The kids will grow up and I will have time when ever and what ever the future brings me..

But just love to look at all the yummies.. [thumb]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by johnCT on July 29, 2006 05:04 AM
Oh I can definitely relate to that with two little ones at home myself. Unfortunately the time comes out of the gardening time.

John - Zone 6
by ChristinaC on July 29, 2006 05:19 AM
Beautiful!! Healthy!! [flower] Trade ya!? [Wink]

-
 -
by Tonya on July 29, 2006 05:23 AM
Looking GREAT, johnCT! [thumb]

One day I will be able to get a maid and the girls will be grown and I can be a FULLTIME gardener. (Hubby suggested I try to take a few classes at the local college...If he only knew what he just started! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] )

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by LandOfOz on July 29, 2006 06:05 AM
What a beautiful garden! Definately something that I need to be aspiring too!

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Bestofour on July 30, 2006 04:14 PM
Don't let Cindy see those green tomatoes.

Nothing like a tomato sandwich.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by peppereater on July 31, 2006 03:02 PM
Things are looking up some, but I'm losing fruit to bugs and heat. Here are the latest pickings...the biggest one is a Mortgage Lifter, one pound plus. Three are Delicious (I haven't tasted one yet,) one's a Brandywine, and there are a couple of German Red Strawberries. Notice the reading glasses for scale.
 -

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Triss on July 31, 2006 03:06 PM
Yummy! Looks good Dave!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by weezie13 on July 31, 2006 03:19 PM
What time is eatin' time Dave?????? [Wink] [Wink]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Wrennie on July 31, 2006 03:38 PM
[Eek!] The deer reached over my back fence and chopped the tops off all my maters on the back row [Mad]
Yours look great John. Let us know how the flavor of the green when ripe ones are.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by johnCT on July 31, 2006 03:40 PM
Awesome fruit Dave! I still have yet to get any color on any large fruit. Black cherry is finally ripening. Should finally taste those this week. Sungold is ripening a few a day now. Those things are SOOOOOO good. If any of you haven't tried sungold for a sweet cherry tomato, you HAVE to grow it next year. SFT is finally ripening and so is Citron Compact. That Omar's that I posted seems to get bigger and bigger every day. Can't wait for one of the big ones to ripen. Got the bacon all ready!

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on July 31, 2006 03:59 PM
Are you growing Black Plum, John? I've been amazed how good those little buggers are.

-
Dave
by johnCT on July 31, 2006 04:00 PM
No I'm not, but from your posts about it I may try it next year.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on July 31, 2006 04:13 PM
I'll have to try Sungold next year, but what's all this buzz about Black Cherry?

-
Dave
by johnCT on August 01, 2006 12:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
but what's all this buzz about Black Cherry?
I'll be able to tell ya in a few days... [Big Grin] Mine has tons of fruit on it and they're finally getting ripe.

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on August 01, 2006 01:16 AM
Very nice looking mators Dave!!!!!!!

-
 -
by Bestofour on August 01, 2006 02:00 PM
John, you'll be having fresh tomatoes at Thanksgiving by the looks of things. My brandywines were green forever it seemed. I was beginning to wonder if I had planted green tomatoes.

-
 -
by peppereater on August 02, 2006 08:53 AM
Bestofour, have you grown Brandywines before? I have never tasted a better tomato. I have only picked one this year and am waiting for it to get fully ripe.
John...update us on Black Cherry!
Wrennie...did the deer leave enough for a crop?

-
Dave
by johnCT on August 03, 2006 01:09 AM
Haven't picked them yet Dave. Probably today or tomorrow. I did pick a citron compact last night. A salad size, bright yellow beauty that was delicious. Got a picture of it yesterday that I'll post later.

John - Zone 6
by Bestofour on August 03, 2006 12:58 PM
Dave, I've never grown Brandywine and you're right. They are delicious. And how does that German Green taste? I can't imagine.

-
 -
by Wrennie on August 04, 2006 12:52 AM
Yes there are still some blossoms. i should get something out of them. i put some old refrigerator grills/bread trays ( [dunno] ) flat on the ground behind the garden so the deer wont step there anymore. Now I need one for where the beans are going on the outside of the fence, and the cukes, and the mystery gourd/pumpkin... [perplexed]

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Bestofour on August 06, 2006 01:34 PM
I have a friend who put out 30 tomato plants for the deer. [Big Grin] They haven't gotten 1 tomato.

-
 -
by comfrey on August 06, 2006 04:14 PM
I have found out the hard way...The way to keep deer away from your plants-veggies or flowers (trees & bushes)Take a bar of soap and shave it off into curls and spread around the plants or put them in an old nylon stocking [shocked] oppps tells how old I am...I mean panty hose [Big Grin] [Big Grin] And hang them around the plants or could be placed on the ground around the plants.

-
 -
by johnCT on August 08, 2006 12:29 AM
More recent pics...

this one is a large one of my harvest from my daughter's first birthday party yesterday so I'll link to it...there's sungolds, black cherries, a kimberly, lucky leprechaun, two GMG's, and a large mortgage lifter in the bottom right....also some jimmy nardello and a carmen pepper and a yellow squash..

click here

my first green-when-ripe....grub's mystery green...
 -

and here's a poor pic of citron compact...

-

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on August 08, 2006 07:58 AM
Nice looking crop you have there John!!!!! [thumb] So how are the Black Cherries???? I had started some Black plum, something beyond my control caused me to not get them in the ground [tears] So I lost the plants, So maybe I will try again next year.

-
 -
by johnCT on August 08, 2006 08:17 AM
They were very good Comfrey. Slightly on the large side of a cherry tom as you can see in the side by side pic with the sungolds, but definitely worth growing again. VERY large plants. The one plant I have has grown up and over a six foot tall mesh cage.

John - Zone 6
by comfrey on August 08, 2006 02:46 PM
They look delicious (the Black cherry) But all of them look yummy!!!

-
 -
by ChristinaC on August 09, 2006 01:10 AM
Everything looks soooo good!! I've still had hardly any red tomatoes! I've picked a lot of peppers (sweet bell, chilis and jalapenos) but none of them have turned red either. I'm beginning to get a wee bit impatient. I'll post pics as soon as I have enough worth showing.

Great job John (as expected!!). [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: